• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DIY Bandsawmill build.

Bandit

Super User
Ah, if we only knew all the things that are being claimed to be green. Something like carbon credits, but that's like talking poly ticks, ( a type of blood sucker? )
Heard a bad one today, solar panels by the thousands at one of the big projects around here, shipped in on pallets, have 5/8 or 3/4 ply on top to put panels on. Person has the job of getting rid of them, can give them away if can find someone to take them, orrr, has to break them down and burn them. How true? not sure.
As to composting chicken sheist, we were working with digested sheist from a sewage plant. The general public of the town voted in favor of this proven process instead of passing the problem of human waste to others to deal with. This was used for a few different fertilizing things.

Last edited:

Bandit

Super User
Anyway back to the mill, it appears from the drawing, that the saw head has its own frame. Flywheels attached to it, and adjusters, will engine be on this or on carriage frame? Belt drive, hydro drive. Yes am curious, as had collected most all material for one also before leaving B.C. Done some basic drawings, looked at a few different units.
Those little diesels are neat, I think torque is more important then the h.p.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have not finished the drawing beyond that 2d scratching. That was mainly to just nail down a size, and scale before I started cutting material to make the base. Not very detailed. Yes, the saw head will be it's own frame, with the flywheels, guide wheels, and engine riding on it. It will travel up and down the carriage by chain/cable. I used a bit of the steel I had earmarked for that to build some beefy jack stands when I replaced the springs on my Dad's travel trailer. Forgot about that..... I might have to go back to the wallet for more, or figure out a different design with what heavy steel I still have. I still have a lot of design and pondering left to do over the details, but should be able to chip away at it in the coming weeks. I've been saving screenshots, and pictures of designs and details I like from other builds both commercial and DIY for about 10 years and making notes. I just need to start pouring over them again, and nail down a plan and start building.

Not exactly sure when that will be as I just got roped into building a deck for a friend, and that will lead me into summer sports season where free time is non existent.

On a side note, my "new" city neighbors are gone. Barely lasted 8 months. Pounded the sign in 2 weekends ago, and sold it this past. I didn't think they'd last long, as they just didn't embrace the country living lifestyle (or cut the grass/shovel snow), but they beat my expectations by a year or so. Sold for less than they bought too. I wonder how much money the show Yellowstone has cost people over the years lol. This was probably about 100k country vacation.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Good day to powerwash the engine.
7hDO0U4l.jpg

Squeaky clean now
tGiuUwpl.jpg

Sprayed it down with some wd, and hit all the electrical connections with some contact clean then dielectric grease. Ready to go back in the barn until the fall when I hopefully get some time to get back to it.

Love this time of year. Ran into some traffic coming home from golf the other night.
xAKAl9xl.jpg

Now I gotta finish getting the garden in.

Ah, if we only knew all the things that are being claimed to be green. Something like carbon credits, but that's like talking poly ticks, ( a type of blood sucker? )
Heard a bad one today, solar panels by the thousands at one of the big projects around here, shipped in on pallets, have 5/8 or 3/4 ply on top to put panels on. Person has the job of getting rid of them, can give them away if can find someone to take them, orrr, has to break them down and burn them. How true? not sure.
As to composting chicken sheist, we were working with digested sheist from a sewage plant. The general public of the town voted in favor of this proven process instead of passing the problem of human waste to others to deal with. This was used for a few different fertilizing things.
One of the dangers particularly with human waste is transfer of illnesses when composted are not perfectly composted! Quick cycle and same said illness is back in the humans.

Hope your town monitors and tests properly.

Bandit

Super User
Yes, there can be problems, mainly from not haveing temputures high enough for the proper length of time or temps dropping before time span is met, it was all graphed during the run. If regulations for run were not met in anyway, run was scrapped and put back into process for remix and a retry, or go to a proper land full.
It could be complex, interesting, frustrating, amazing all in the same day. The finished product had to meet local, provencial, federal, envirermentail rules and regulations, testing, and monitoring.
I retired nearly 2 years ago from there. The biggest change in my life, in hand with selling the farm, and moveing to Alberta.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Welding the crossmembers in went pretty good. I clamped them to some beams so they were flush on the top, then tacked them all in. I measured the diagonals, and used a ratchet strap to pull it into square before I burned in the ends.
n4wqgDll.jpg

Had some trouble in the middle and needed the porta power. I purposely ran the slight bend inward because I thought it would be easier to control by spreading vs clamping with what I had to work with. Came out great, and both rails now run parallel.
TbI8NUYl.jpg

Some obligatory weld shots. 1/8" 7018
pEjMghIl.jpg

BHAQZ93l.jpg

Ran a few vertical welds, but wasn't really happy with them and decided this wasn't the project I wanted to practice getting better on......so I just ran a few good stitches on the verts, and rolled it, so I could complete all the welds in the flat position.
FKCtuSvl.jpg

Signed my work, and left myself a reminder which way was "up"
w11uhCXl.jpg

Then hacked together a quick and dirty axle from an old cart so I can move it around.
go1SMuzl.jpg

IBtsV5bl.jpg

eJEAkCll.jpg

I sprayed all the joints with some cold galv primer, and finished it just in time for the first snowfall of the year. This was the very next day.
OHAVaYol.jpg

That was fall/winter 2021 and it's sat in the same spot since. Life got in the way.....
The green lawn will release your mood, which is the place I yearn for

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
The green lawn will release your mood, which is the place I yearn for
Thank you, yes it's very relaxing out here, and I consider myself very fortunate to have this place, and to have bought when we did. To get out here now on our salaries would be too far out of reach, and it's sad to think our children will probably never have a chance to live in the area in which they grew up.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Thank you, yes it's very relaxing out here, and I consider myself very fortunate to have this place, and to have bought when we did. To get out here now on our salaries would be too far out of reach, and it's sad to think our children will probably never have a chance to live in the area in which they grew up.
Why you want to leave, you need to know too many Chinese people want to settle down in your place of residence - please cherish the moment, no place is perfect.

Nothing can stop free movement in a free country, it's just that you have to decide if the price is worth paying