• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dividing head de-crustification

As usual, it took far too long for me to recognize that there was a simple answer. I mentioned before that the spring-loaded pin didn't have a way to stay in the retracted position. When I needed to crank the handle multiple turns, I had to keep pulling the handle out or it would snag on the sector arms or even lock into a hole.

I had dreamed up a couple of solutions involving springs and knobs and whatnot. I actually started working on one when I happened to look yet again at the existing threaded hole in the handle. Duh!! This time, the handle happened to be turned so that I could see the longitudinal groove milled in the inner piece. I already knew that there was a slot milled around the circumference so that an inserted pin would hold the pin in the retracted position like I want. The two slots meet up.

All I need is basically a dog-point screw. With it, I just need to pull the handle back and twist slightly to lock the pin in the retracted position. Twist again and I can lower the pin into the next hold. Feel really dumb for not inspecting earlier. My only defense is that everything was quite rusted when I got it. Nothing but crud was visible in the hole. For a long time, I thought this hole was for lubrication--like the others on the dividing head.

55 fix pin retraction IMG_5174.jpg

Anyway, the handle functions properly now.

Craig
(Brass FTW!)

Last edited:
I use car bumper wax on my machined and ground surfaces on my tools and machines. I think it is Meguires?

All the Brown and Sharpe type dividing heads I have used have a Brown and Sharpe taper in the spindle, usually a 9 B&S, little ones have a #7 B&S.

All the Brown and Sharpe type dividing heads I have used have a Brown and Sharpe taper in the spindle, usually a 9 B&S, little ones have a #7 B&S.
Yeah, I finally figured out that it really is a Brown & Sharpe #10 taper. After I got the crud cleaned out, I could see that the Morse taper sleeve I was using for testing was not engaged at the small end.

Anybody have a spare B&S #10 centre? I did more than a little online searching and there seem to be few options available. One was a 'ground to order' type of shop. No prices listed but I suspect they'd want more than I paid for the entire dividing head.

Craig

Back