• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Diamond in the rough.

Japanese KW bearings, which he's seen on turbine engines
I never seen those particular brand, But my turbine experience has all been gas and steam turbines. Last one was for esso/imp oil here in Edmonton that took their hydrogen gas ( instead of flaring off ) and made power to be sold / fed back to Edmonton grid.

What an awesome deal on this lathe!!
Congratulations!

I never seen those particular brand, But my turbine experience has all been gas and steam turbines. Last one was for esso/imp oil here in Edmonton that took their hydrogen gas ( instead of flaring off ) and made power to be sold / fed back to Edmonton grid.

What an awesome deal on this lathe!!
Congratulations!
I’ve worked on n Rolls Royce turbines on offshore platforms, never seen them either. I dug up some info on them, the Kumara factory apparently specialized in aerospace bearings for NTN, and the previous owner of the lathe made parts for landing gear out in Waterloo, so they may have been installed by him from his own supply.

I’ve worked on n Rolls Royce turbines on offshore platforms, never seen them either. I dug up some info on them, the Kumara factory apparently specialized in aerospace bearings for NTN, and the previous owner of the lathe made parts for landing gear out in Waterloo, so they may have been installed by him from his own supply.
Fascinating, thanks !

I'd like to pick your brain about VFD's for this lathe before I grab a 3-Phase converter for a 240V hookup. Any inside appreciated. Lathe is currently 230V 3 Phase 3HP 1800 rpm I believe.

You are a lucky man. That will be one of the easiest VFD installations ever.

Hey Patrick, if you're interested, I have 4 Hitachi VFD's controlling the motors on my machines. You are more than welcome to come check it out first hand. With brake resistors on two of them.
I'm more interested in your B&S & Mk2, but yeah! I have so many questions, I'll bring coffee!

I'd like to pick your brain about VFD's for this lathe before I grab a 3-Phase converter for a 240V hookup. Any inside appreciated. Lathe is currently 230V 3 Phase 3HP 1800 rpm I believe.
Seems thestlster has you covered, But I would say all the hard work is done by having that 3 phase motor all ready there.
I opted for a vector speed control VFD, As it provides the most torque at low RPM.
But honestly you can get away with any old plain VFD. I have been running 3 aliexpress special VFD's now for several years,
One failed - turned out to be a filter capacitor, Replaced the SMD capacitor, No issues since.

YMMV - Gluck

IMG_3667.jpegI hate it when this happens. You’re going to pick up a lathe with a U-Haul, and realize it’s not quite full, so you hit Kijiji and grab a practice lathe with three boxes of tooling, a 2 ton hoist and then while buying ratchet straps at Home Depot, you find a skid of clearance tool chests at half price. The horrors…

Attachments

• IMG_3672.jpeg
    IMG_3672.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 18
You should probably buy a lottery ticket since you're on a roll. But if you notice lightning clouds in the distance maybe consider a cool off quarantine period. Let the universe revert to equilibrium.

You should probably buy a lottery ticket since you're on a roll. But if you notice lightning clouds in the distance maybe consider a cool off quarantine period. Let the universe revert to equilibrium.
I literally couldn't help myself. On a side note, The guy who sold this to me, a welder and part time hobby machinist, bought a whole shop off a train maker in Burlington, including the most meticulously maintained Milford table top mill, with machined 3-axis levelling blocks and literally thousands of pieces of tooling. This was the train makers King mill, and if you look closely, you can see about a dozen precision mods he's done to it. The lift I got for $250 off a teacher at one of the colleges in Guelph, who said "give it a good home, I don't need it, the kids wouldn't know how to use it these days", lol.

Yes, I'm taking a break, but 15 minutes of scanning the classifieds has probably saved me enough cash to cover my full shop Reno, so that's not stopping anytime soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 11.56.13 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 11.56.13 PM.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 5
Dam, you maybe better start complaining about something wrong with a piece of equipment. That is very lucky with good timing and money at hand. Everyone is going to be hanging around with you just for the cast offs you don't want that you find!
Just make sure the wind isn't back filling the sails!

Dam, you maybe better start complaining about something wrong with a piece of equipment. That is very lucky with good timing and money at hand. Everyone is going to be hanging around with you just for the cast offs you don't want that you find!
Just make sure the wind isn't back filling the sails!
Oh fear not, I'll be posting finds here to fill up the shop tool Karma Bank! I have a nice list going; Myford's, Colchester's, Hardinge etc.

The only complaint I have so far, is trying to find a good drop deck trailer in Ontario is next to impossible under $8k; anything less has no load rating.

Back