• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dial Test Indicator

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am considering buying a 0.0001" Dial test indicator. Surprised I am even considering this but have a project or two that maybe being able to work within those limits might up my game a bit. But of course, getting into that kind of precision starts kicking choices out.

KBC starts with this one

Amazon has this one

My experience so far is that the KBC line is the same or less quality than the Accusize line, which I have been happy with so far. Of course, I could go into a name brand one like Mitutoyo or something, and might. My use will be very very seldom, maybe only one time.
Getting into better ones, it looks like this might be the next step. Quite a bit more but not prohibitive....just hard to pull the trigger on something that I think is a lot for an amateur. But, it is nice to work with nice tools. No argument there! And if I keep buying amateur tools....I will keep feeling like an amateur....;)

Anyone with input?

My money? I'd buy the Mitutoyo, and only from KBC or another reseller (ie: thomas skinner.....). I don't care if I pay 'up' for it. My hedge is that the stuff from KBC/<other reputable> is 'real'

Would the KBC brand be ok? probably. But for 60 bucks, and say '40' years to live, I'd get the Mitutoyo and leave it to my kids.

I find I treat my more expensive tools better.....

I’m in the buy once cry once crowd. I ordered a sheet metal gauge tool through my local shop, they said $20-30 most likely. Went to pick it up it was a Mitutoyo and I want to say it was $60. I grumbled a little because it’s way more than I need and way more money than I wanted to spend

But it is sweet to use! I don’t really understand why there’s so many gauges of metal, it lets me order material that’s appropriate for the project, or measure what I’m working with already

Not directly answering about a dial indicator, but I don’t think you’d regret the better tool

buy once, cry once, especially on precision tools. A cheap 1" dial indicator is good to have kicking around for rough, knock around work, but a don't see you using a tenths indicator for that.

Last edited:
Same for the Starrett tap holders I picked up. The fine thread on this is probably the nicest cut thread I've seen.... it is so effortless to turn the cap that I find myself playing with it. Then I use the 'other one' I have and it is JUNK!

Yes, I agree. Looks like I am going for the Mitutoyo. I give the same spiel to others when talking tools but when it comes to myself, look for deals. I know better. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!

A few thoughts..... you don't have to be working to a 10th to like a using a tenths indicator. Getting things within a thou (say +- half a thou) is a lot easier and more reliable with the amplified motion of a 10ths indicator than thou indicator (imo)

Mitutoyo are good. Federal, Starrett, Verdict would also be good. The best are the Swiss - Girod, Interapid, B&S Tesa, Alina and Compaq. The last two are no longer made but were Tesa brands (same people that make Interapid and B&S Tesa indicators). My view on good better best is from having them apart and servicing them, you definitely can tell what ones are the best made. I would not buy cheap ones, cheap is for chip brushes not tenths dti's.

I would only buy used. You'll get a use Swiss indicator for less than the Mit. There is some risks, but the good indicators last. Biggest problem is someone has oiled them, which doesn't bother me because I can clean them...and you tell when looking them if they are sticky or not.

There is some chance a fatal flaw buying used. I occasionally see a cracked jewel and have on the bench right now a Compaq where the tip ball bearings have given up the ghost (still chin scratching on that fix), but playing the odds and the savings available imo make used the way to go imo.

Last edited:
A few thoughts..... you don't have to be working to a 10th to like a using a tenths indicator. Getting things within a thou (say +- half a thou) is a lot easier and more reliable with the amplified motion of a 10ths indicator than thou indicator

Mitutoyo are good. Federal, Starrett, Verdict would also be good. The best are the Swiss - Girod, Interapid, Alina and Compaq. The last two are no longer made but were Tesa brands (same people that make Interapid and B&S Tesa indicators). My view on good better best is from having them apart and servicing them, you definitely can tell what ones are the best made. I would not buy cheap ones, cheap is for chip brushes not tenths dti's.

I would only buy used. You'll get a use Swiss indicator for less than the Mit. There is some risks, but the good indicators last. Biggest problem is someone has oiled them, which doesn't bother me because I can clean them...and you tell when looking them if they are sticky or not.

There is some chance a fatal flaw buying used. I occaisonally see a cracked jewel and have on the bench right now a Compaq where the tip ball bearings having give up the ghost (still chin scratch on that fix), but playing the odds and the savings available imo make used the way to go.
Thanks. I suppose it is not a rush so I could watch for used. I don't see much of that stuff around where I live. Small market. I have not done ebay for years but suppose I could.

Even though I’m probably the cheapest SOB you’ll ever meet, I‘d buy the Mitutoyo. My bride won’t let me buy cheap tools. At my age, I can realistically expect to still be using machinery for another 15 or 20 years. $176 / 15 is $12 per year, or $1 a month. How much did you spend at Timmies or Starbucks last year?

I have a lot of tools that are 50+ years old, and many of them will get passed down to my sons. None of the cheap crap will survive the hand-off.

Thanks. I suppose it is not a rush so I could watch for used. I don't see much of that stuff around where I live. Small market. I have not done ebay for years but suppose I could.

you have to do whats right for you, I'm just describing the view from my paradigm

I have a lot of stuff that I want to sell. If you like, I'll see whats there in the way of Swiss and Mit indicators. (my feelinngs won't be hurt you don't :) )

The other consideration is the the related mounting & accessories. Inevitably you need to hold the DTI in any number of orientations. You can spend as much on that stuff as the indicator. Something like a mag base dovetail might work in many instances but there are other holders that may be better for the situation. I cant speak for other brands but I know Mitutoyo dovetails are standardized among them. Possibly Starrett / older gen N-Am indicators might be an inch version of their own accessories. Less expensive Asian models are anyone's guess. Maybe some of the euro ones are standardized. I'm not sure. I've seen good deals on 'metric' DTI's of similar resolution as ttheir inch counterparts which have tempted me. Really, you're typically measuring relative deflection with DTI not an absolute measurement like a dial indicator.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-03-18 10.05.43 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-03-18 10.05.43 AM.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 11
  • SNAG-2022-03-18 10.05.55 AM.webp
    SNAG-2022-03-18 10.05.55 AM.webp
    19.5 KB · Views: 11
you have to do whats right for you, I'm just describing the view from my paradigm

I have a lot of stuff that I want to sell. If you like, I'll see whats there in the way of Swiss and Mit indicators. (my feelinngs won't be hurt you don't :) )
I’m not in a hurry but I’ll be looking for an inside depth mic

I agree with all of the above regarding branding. My take is that if you are measuring to tenths, you need a reference grade product, not one that has more room for manufacturing defects.

I just picked up a Federal tenths plunge indicator that was very sticky. With some work, cleaning and judicious lubing, I got it working just fine.

@ShawnR just wondering about test indicator versus plunge indicator...

With a sensitive test indicator you can easily read to 1/3 of a tenth, but no know what the numeric value really is, because of SIN error. If you must know exactly your variance, using a plunge indicator at 90 degrees is a more reliable way to be sure of your numbers. I use test indicators all the time for chuck centering, as you are going for a zero value, how far out it is is not important. I use plunge indicators when doing accurate work to a dimension.

They both have their place, and I've spent WAY more on test indicators than plunge indicators. I use test indicators more because of their versatility.

I used to think buy the best you can because there is always a market for quality, so you can get some money back when you sell. But later in life I realized I'm not a seller. I will likely just give all my stuff away as I hate bartering and selling stuff online. I still buy the best, but that just means all you guys on the forum here will have a field day when I bite the bullet.

Go for the Mitutoyo. Or wait till I pop off and you can have mine...I do have quite a cough these days.... ;)

ebay is a crapshoot , it's not like it was 10 - 15 + years ago .

Lot's of hucksters now that have caches of "estate sale find " items at inflated prices.

High prices + high shipping often combine to make a seemingly sweet deal not so great .

However ..................... if you are a guy who is keen to get what he wants , has time to be at the ready & bid in the final seconds , knows when to back off by setting a limit , there are deals to be had .

I've made some great tool aquisitions and I've had my share of raw deals too.

I've only had cheap Asian dial test indicators. And several of them. I've had a dud or two but for the most part they have been adequate. However I've just recently gave up the desire to own a real good quality one. I seem to drop and bump my indicators a bit more often than a man should. It's not all that heart breaking when a cheap Asian dial test indicator gets trashed because of carelessness, but it would be with an expensive one.
Yes I know I should be more careful. I'm working on that.

I used to think buy the best you can because there is always a market for quality, so you can get some money back when you sell. But later in life I realized I'm not a seller. I will likely just give all my stuff away as I hate bartering and selling stuff online. I still buy the best, but that just means all you guys on the forum here will have a field day when I bite the bullet.

Go for the Mitutoyo. Or wait till I pop off and you can have mine...I do have quite a cough these days.... ;)
I have been telling my pals for a while ...... " When I go for the big dirt nap , that's an auction you want to be at " , unless it takes years of suffering before the final day comes , in that case there will be pre auction deals and give away's.

I can see the long slow years of suffering to be unlikely , I'm still very healthy , my dad is healthy and is to be celebrating his 90th birthday in May

Just to stay on topic ....... buy Mitutoyo , you won't regret it.

I have been telling my pals for a while ...... " When I go for the big dirt nap , that's an auction you want to be at " , unless it takes years of suffering before the final day comes , in that case there will be pre auction deals and give away's.

I can see the long slow years of suffering to be unlikely , I'm still very healthy , my dad is healthy and is to be celebrating his 90th birthday in May

Just to stay on topic ....... buy Mitutoyo , you won't regret it.
Ha ha aren't we a grim bunch of folks. On that note.....if you are not looking for quality my auction or give away will be the place you want to be when that time comes. And unlike @Gearhead88
I'm not likely to live into "old" age. But maybe more metal working will extend my life. That's my plan.

its friday and my brain is tired....but I'm drawing a blank on what an inside depth mic is? Did you mean depth mic and inside mic?
That’s on me, I think it’s just a depth mic. I need to measure the depth on the inside of a pocket, that’s probably why I included inside

Back