• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dial Test Indicator

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I'm a beginner. I thought that a DTI was for making comparison measurements, not getting absolute values. If I'm testing concentricity or comparing two heights to get them the same, as long as the DTI needle moves freely and is sensitive, it seems to do the job. A dial indicator, dial/digital caliper or a micrometer is in a different category for me; it's nice to have good quality. But, I freely admit I don't know much.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @ShawnR , I have a few off-brand 10ths indicators I bought years ago. They work within limits. But I also have a mitutoyo and an interapid. When I compare them all side by side, the latter two always agree with each other within a half tenth. The others - not so much.

When I have work that requires a real tenth, I reach for my mitutoyo or my interapid. They have never let me down. I've never used a starrett, but I'd wager that they are just as good.

When it comes to stuff at that level of precision I prefer to cry once.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm a beginner. I thought that a DTI was for making comparison measurements, not getting absolute values. If I'm testing concentricity or comparing two heights to get them the same, as long as the DTI needle moves freely and is sensitive, it seems to do the job. A dial indicator, dial/digital caliper or a micrometer is in a different category for me; it's nice to have good quality. But, I freely admit I don't know much.
Yes despite my experiences I'd say especially with measurement equipment, the only time you will regret having top quality equipment is when you wreck it because of accidents/clumsiness.:eek:

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Yes despite my experiences I'd say especially with measurement equipment, the only time you will regret having top quality equipment is when you wreck it because of accidents/clumsiness.:eek:
Or when I waste money buying too-good quality on one thing, and don't have money to buy something else that I really need! e.g. I can't ream a hole with a $350 digital caliper! :)

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
you also have a choice between a horizontal or vertical facing dial making it easier to dial in small holes.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I'm a beginner. I thought that a DTI was for making comparison measurements, not getting absolute values. If I'm testing concentricity or comparing two heights to get them the same, as long as the DTI needle moves freely and is sensitive, it seems to do the job.

Your understanding is spot on. They lose accuracy because of the arc the probe tip takes. However if the probe is ideally 90 degrees to the distance being measured or close to (e.g. height on a plate, the probe should be horizontal or close there to) and you are measuring small distances, while they are still a comparative device, they are accurate enough that its not entirely meaningless to say I've got X tenths TIR or whatever....but you are correct, they are fundamentally a comparison device.

Verdict use to make some models with a pear shaped probe that was supposed to compensate the for sine. I took mine to plant for something and haven't seen it since :mad:

The BB ones work well too. The secret is care. I've destroyed one through rough used and lack of care.

I see things as money wisely spent, do I invest in the best (at high cost) or something that does the job and lasts if taken care of and leaves me more funds for other needed tools.

Again, this is always a personal decision.

Have fun.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Truth be told, i got by with a $20 dial indicator for years, i still have it, it still works.

Thread de-rail ahead...

I just prefer to buy better stuff when I can. Probably because I'm always thinking about leaving my stuff to my 8 year old son. My grandfather was cheap, and still bought good tools, and my father was the same way. I still use some of their Gray, SK and Snap On tools to earn my living every day, some tools are probably 70 years old. I enjoy using their tools and hope my son does too, someday.

Gearhead88

Super User
You can never have too many ( also applies to guitars )

I still have the first Dial indicator I bought , a Teclock , it's 40 years old and it is still as good as it was when new , I think it was a $30 House of tools purchase , and was , for a long time , the only one I had.

I have several Mitutoyo dial indicators & dial bore gauges , some are for doing specific jobs , all have been superb and worth every penny I paid .

I have 5 other asian dial indicators , some have specific jobs and live in various fixture or holders to do certain jobs.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think I settled on one. I will know tomorrow. Blew my budget right out the window.....geez this forum is expensive!

I guess I will have to quit "grinding to final dimensions" now.

o_O

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ended up ordering this one. I tried to order from itm but wanted to find out if they had the long probe in stock. I emailed 2x, tried a chat, no response even though the website said it was open and tried calling but although the phone appeared answered, no one said anything. I gave up and went with Amazon.

and

This is the ite site. I found the dti here first but they don't seem to be very good at communication. Ordering it from them probably would have been fine and is also free shipping but I thought ordering from Amazon would be more efficient.... ie one shipping, but now I see that the probe comes from outside the country anyways. :rolleyes:

I still don't know if itm carries the long probe.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other Shawn. I have always found Amazon really easy to deal with as long as you know what you want. They are not any better at communicating than ITM. BUT, if you want to return something or it gets lost, AMAZON IS GREAT!

You will like what you ordered and it will prolly get there by the weekend.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Always read the fine print with Amazon. In this case the brand is suxing, so they are not pretending to be Mitutoyo which is actually a good thing. May not be bad or could be a complete waste of money quality wise. Many people have been burned by what has been listed as Mitutoyo (or some known brand) and its clearly a fake. You stand half a chance if you see fulfilled by (some known reputable tool company) but otherwise it can be a crap shoot.

Attachments

• SNAG-3-23-2022 000.jpg
    SNAG-3-23-2022 000.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 6

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you go to the Mitutoyo website & get the part model number of specific accessory, often times the re-sellers will cross reference that if you type in search box. But some vendors make it difficult & you have to search. KBC has a habit of embedding parts of the PN inside their own product number. Sometimes its obvious, sometimes not.