• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Determining Steel type….

Bandit

Super User
Hmm, just learned something, thanks "whydontu". Great thing is I understood it! Kinda reminds me of how chicken soup was/used to be made, "we mix it 50/50," 1 chicken, 1 whale. Sometimes it hard to find a big chicken!

Ironman

Ultra Member
Without going down that rabbit hole, heating austenitic 300-series stainless steel will tend to increase its ferrite content, making it magnetic. 400-series ferritic and martensitic stainless steels will normally be magnetic. Think of stainless steel as stew. Not every spoonful of stew has the same ratio of potato, beef, and parsnip. Not every crystal of stainless has the same ratio of iron, chrome, and nickel. Heating stainless will alter the crystal structure, and if the chips are coming off blue then the machining process has exceeded the critical temperature and ferrite will form.
Thanks for that. I never knew heat could alter an alloy.