• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Delrin source?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Plastic is not cheap or necessarily light for shipping, unfortunately 12x12" min. Cut a corner off & Ebay the remains haha. I've used OLM. They ship via UPS but this is the one & only place I'm aware of where they eat some fees & you don't get dingered like all the other regular UPS shipments. What you ay at checkout is what you pay & fast delivery. But I'd guess a 40 usd trip minimum. maybe someone with a Mcmaster account could combine order. It would be best if you found a willing offcut dealer but I wouldn't know where to refer you.
https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/plastic/3-uhmw-virgin-plate-natural/pid/15604

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If the joint is not critical there are ways of laminating sheets together, but the adhesives are specialized for purpose. Most regular stuff will just not bond.

Crankit

I'm surprised there isn't Acetal or Delrin suppliers in Canada! I might end up building the blocks out of aluminum.

francist

Super User
I buy from Industrial Plastics here in Victoria — Acetal, Delrin, Nylon 6/6, UHMW, etc. They have a number of locations but I don’t know where you are, maybe there’s one close.

-frank

6AE7011E-7941-49D0-BDF2-2C4EE1E3B422.png

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I‘ve bought it from McMaster Carr, but they only sell to businesses. They show 3”x3”x12”at about $100 US

Crankit

I‘ve bought it from McMaster Carr, but they only sell to businesses. They show 3”x3”x12”at about $100 US
It might be worthwhile setting up an account with them for the items hard to get up here....I have a business account with CRA already

I find cut offs of good sizes around here at a chain of surplus stores. Uhmw, nylon, delrin, some other material that is heavier then aluminum sheets, strips, blocks normally by weight.
Local guys I’m sure know KW surplus, brantford and Cambridge surplus. There’s a couple other locations that I don’t frequent also.
I can alway take a look for non locals. Good excuse to visit ;)

I find cut offs of good sizes around here at a chain of surplus stores. Uhmw, nylon, delrin, some other material that is heavier then aluminum sheets, strips, blocks normally by weight.
Local guys I’m sure know KW surplus, brantford and Cambridge surplus. There’s a couple other locations that I don’t frequent also.
I can alway take a look for non locals. Good excuse to visit ;)

Actually it would be great if you could give us a heads up when they have a large selection in stock. I might make the trip all the way from Hamilton if I knew they had it. Don't know of anything comparable in Hamilton. National Surplus in Hamilton apparently closed its doors last year.

I’ll check it out for sure.
heads up if you take the trip brantford is a great store not a lot of plastic usually. Cambridge has more. KW normally has the most

What does one use Delrin for?

From Google "Delrin is used to manufacture parts that require increased stiffness, low friction versatility and greater dimensional stability.
Ideal for Industrial Applications, parts exposed to a moist or wet environment, such as pump and valve components, are especially appropriate. Other common uses include gears, bearings, bushings, rollers, fittings, and electrical insulator parts...."

Ian Moss

I have 3x6x10 and 3x6x19 inches. Got anything interesting to trade?
I am pretty sure it is delrin (acetal) Not sure how to tell for certain.