• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've salvaged the paint from aerosol cans by drilling a hole carefully at the top and pouring it out. Start with a small hole (1/8) to let pressure out first. Probably not recommended shop practice but if you have a bunch of paint that will go to waste otherwise, it is something I would consider.
I thought about doing this but was a bit terrified that it would be a bit, umm messy!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A tent! What a great idea!

I'd probably add a small vacuum to keep it negative or positive pressure depending on location indoors or outdoors.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Last year I finally bit the bullet and bought one of these collapsible paint booths c/w fan and LED lighting. The hose doesn't fit in the box when it's all folded up but does compress to a short length or stretches out and the vent can be set up to blow outside. Keeps some of the fumes out of the shop (and house).

I use it for conformal coating PC boards and spray painting casting patterns. (Hence the green overspray for milling machine patterns.). IIRC, I bought it from KMS I think... I bought generic filter material from Lowes and cut to fit new filters.

Attachments

• SprayBooth.jpg
    SprayBooth.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 10
  • ConformalCoat.jpg
    ConformalCoat.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 10

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Last year I finally bit the bullet and bought one of these collapsible paint booths c/w fan and LED lighting. The hose doesn't fit in the box when it's all folded up but does compress to a short length or stretches out and the vent can be set up to blow outside. Keeps some of the fumes out of the shop (and house).

I use it for conformal coating PC boards and spray painting casting patterns. (Hence the green overspray for milling machine patterns.). IIRC, I bought it from KMS I think... I bought generic filter material from Lowes and cut to fit new filters.
Is this the model you have?

Six O Two

(Marco)
The large Lee Valley tent spray booth at $80 doesn't seem too expensive to me.

03K0311-large-portable-spray-shelter-8-1-2-x-6-x-5-1-2-u-01-r.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The big one is pretty huge. basically the sixe of a sheet of plywood.
This one would be about right I think.

Six O Two

(Marco)
The big one is pretty huge. basically the sixe of a sheet of plywood.
This one would be about right I think.

On the Lee Valley link I posted above, if you switch the size dropdown to small, Lee Valley has the same smaller one for $10 less.

ETA, actually, now that I look at the listed sizes, the Lee Valley small is er, smaller...

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wonder if Lee Valley would bring in the medium one...
Amazon has it for $109 o_O

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I have the small spray tent from Princess Auto. They are about $25 on sale. Pops up when you take the elastic off. Too small for what your doing I would guess (about 2' inside). The other idea I have seen is to attach poly tall enough to go from the floor to the garage door track and attach a board at the top and bottom. Attach the top to the garage door track (on the outside) and then roll up the bottom board in the poly and tie it up when not in use. When you need it untie and roll down. I have not done this, but I do a similar thing with welding blankets to make a welding booth in my garage. I have a piece of 1/2" conduit attached between the single garage door tracks to hang a blanket from that part. It forms a three sided welding booth with the fourth wall the door if I need to open it a bit.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Great news, Lee Valley is bring in a medium size tent for me. $60. Seems like the perfect size for my space.
Long lead time though as it won’t be here till October.

Do they sell tents to fit a tractor? ;)

Edit - my wife wants to know if they sell cages for big hairy guys with big feet? I am hoping she means @LenVW but I'm not sure he meets the hairy criteria ..... :D

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Do they sell tents to fit a tractor? ;)

Edit - my wife wants to know if they sell cages for big hairy guys with big feet? I am hoping she means @LenVW but I'm not sure he meets the hairy criteria ..... :D
@Susquatch there are all kinds of fabric buildings for sale that are big enough to be accommodate a semi-truck or farm tractors. I thought you were looking for something more formidable like cement block or pole barn.
BTW
Tell your wife that both my grandfathers died with a full head of hair !!
LOL

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was just kidding.

I have no real plans for more buildings - fabric or otherwise. I might build a 40x20 lean-to on the north side of my pole barn as a sort of "car port" for my planter, grain wagon(s) and a few other impliments, but even that is a long shot. The tractors go inside for the winter and I just crawl around them.