• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

A long time ago I took the NAIT gas welding course at night school. I think with a bit of practice I could still gas weld 1/4" plate steel.

Not that I'd want to...
If you have gas welded, you are well along on learning to tig...... I will say though, when you get it right using the torches, the welds are drop dead gorgeous, much better than I can get with other processes. It seems I can turn any welder into a crude cutting device.....
20260324_133424.jpg

20260324_152052.jpg

I replaced this section of blower housing yesterday..... bent up a new section and tig'd it in. It's a part from the bagging system on Dad's tractor, today I will try and get the other half done....
 
Hi Guys,

When I made the stand for my bandsaw using 1" by 1.8 mm wall steel tube, a friend offered to weld it all up for me. What I didn't know when he offered to do that, he was the instructor for a large company and he took me into the company's school and gave me a hands on tutorial on TIG welding. In previous years I had already done gas and stick welding so it wasn't too difficult to get to grips with TIG. So 20% of the welding on the frame was mine mainly the wheel mounting plates.
 
Oh its kinda fun too. I haven't gas welded for a gabizzilion years (other than brazing).

It's been at least that long for me too. Perhaps 60x that long. I was never good at that either, but I was too young back then to know my welds were actually pretty ugly. The only thing I was fussy about back then was girls.
 
Thing probably weighs over 120 lbs. It was a serious lift for two to get it in my truck
Took me and the Re-Store guy to put my 36 inch lateral in the Subaru but mine is 60 inches tall.
I (185lbs) stood in the bottom drawer once I bolted it to the wall and it still still slid in and out easily.
A nice feature of the taller ones is that there is a safety interlock that only allows one drawer at a time to be opened.
 
Last night was the final night of my TIG class.
Total of eight, three hour classes with 2 - 2.5 hours of welding time each class gave lots of opportunity for practice and feedback.
On a scale of 1-10, my skill went from about a 2-3 to probably 6 or 7. Got pretty decent on carbon steel, pretty frustrated with stainless and had a blast with aluminum.
Last night the instructor gave up the chance to try other hot work such as oxy fuel cutting or stick. Having never stick welded I chose that.
.125 hot rolled coupons, 6010 and 7018 rods. The 6010 was an absolute nightmare but I managed to lay down some half decent beads with the 7018.

For reference these are the machines the college uses. 100% duty cycle, 350A, MIG, Stick, TIG, Carbon Arc gouging, hot and cold running breakfast, the whole shebang!
Other than my Primeweld 225 it's the only machine I've used to TIG. And in my opinion the Primeweld has a smoother arc and a much nicer pulse setting.
PXL_20260327_021329929.jpg
 
Back
Top