• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Damascus Steel

Kris Jensen

Test cut I added just over 1/16" to the blade profile and circled the tip so I can grind away the heat effected zone. These pieces are not 100% hardened yet and will have to figure that out later on. I have a guy who just invested $8800 on custom made fully automated grinders designed for profiling and sharpening the blades. I'll post a video if I ever get the chance. image.jpeg image.jpeg

EricB

Nice profile! Can't wait to see the product! Are you invested in the knife company, or just cutting the blanks for him?

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

Kris Jensen

J
Nice profile! Can't wait to see the product! Are you invested in the knife company, or just cutting the blanks for him?

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk
just cutting the blanks and supplying the materials for now I have programmed 27 different profiles so far

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'd welcome any posts about the grinders & process you are involved with (purely from a metal-head standpoint). Personally I need another hobby pursuit like a hole in the head but the knife making & heat treating thing is fascinating. When I travelled up to Reynolds museum couple months back they had some knife guys showing their wares. I selfishly swabbed each of them about heat treating ovens, quenching, salt bath... info for my engine parts one day. But you couldn't help but be struck by the aesthetics & uniqueness of knives.
http://www.history.alberta.ca/reynolds/specialevents/metalartshow.aspx

Reason I was curious about grinding is I also spent a bunch of time online looking at home-made belt sanders typically used by the knife crowd. Some are rudimentary frames with wheelbarrow wheels. Others are friggen amazing: VFD drives, high end spindles & bearings, adaptable tooling & jiggery, sexy frames... I'd like to make a HD belt sander one day, not really for blades but just as a workhorse for profiling & finishing parts. Not sure if you are talking stone grinder-grinders or belted ones, but its all cool to me.

>These pieces are not 100% hardened yet and will have to figure that out later on. I have a guy who just invested $8800 on custom made fully automated grinders designed for profiling and sharpening the blades. I'll post a video if I ever get the chance.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
re your comment about leaving a boundary kerf for heat affected zone, I though that's why maybe the profiling would maybe be preferred by water-jetting. Is it a cost thing or some other reason?
ps - you must have a bunch of Damascus off-cuts remaining for pen-knives & mini daggers. Does you client get those too?

Kris Jensen

re your comment about leaving a boundary kerf for heat affected zone, I though that's why maybe the profiling would maybe be preferred by water-jetting. Is it a cost thing or some other reason?
ps - you must have a bunch of Damascus off-cuts remaining for pen-knives & mini daggers. Does you client get those too?
I get to keep all the cut offs, will definitely try to find a use for them, I'm thinking a machinist could do a lot better job with the small cut offs then I could. Water jet is definitely better but cost wise, and wait times to get it done are a pain. Since I have my own cnc plasma I can cut the profile within minutes of him ordering it and with his fancy grinders its just an extra minute or two to grind down the extra material.

Kris Jensen

I get to keep all the cut offs, will definitely try to find a use for them, I'm thinking a machinist could do a lot better job with the small cut offs then I could. Water jet is definitely better but cost wise, and wait times to get it done are a pain. Since I have my own cnc plasma I can cut the profile within minutes of him ordering it and with his fancy grinders its just an extra minute or two to grind down the extra material.
I will also be cutting completely under water once I get my jig set up to reduce the heat effected zone even more. I usually submerge cut all my stainless, I'll have to post a video of the process

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I know nothing about forging, but I really enjoyed this video about Damascus steel with Jesse James (of Monster Garage fame). The guy who is teaching Jesse James how to forge it is obviously famous for his knives, but the real fun was watching him make the stuff in his home shop. A real artist :) I really enjoy watching guys like that work...it seems so natural to them.

upload_2016-9-8_11-43-8.png