• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Damascus Steel

Kris Jensen

Ok now that I can pump out profiles like nothing with my cnc I want to start looking into ways of making different patterns of steel. I'm currently working on a new business relationship that will involve getting Damascus steel forged from Sweden using RWL 34 stainless, damasteel is the company that makes it, I'll be cutting out knife banks and my client will be post heat treating the steel and finishing the final product. What I want to attempt is just fold regular cheaper steel multiple times to get the Damascus look for art purposes so I won't need the high quality characteristics of the expensive steel.

Anyone who has any thoughts on this idea would be appreciated.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That sounds pretty cool Kris. Looking forward to seeing your results. Did you find a source for stainless here in town?
Are you going to fold stainless sheet, heat and hammer, to try to create the damascus look? Sounds like black smithing. what gauge will you try?

Kris Jensen

That sounds pretty cool Kris. Looking forward to seeing your results. Did you find a source for stainless here in town?
Are you going to fold stainless sheet, heat and hammer, to try to create the damascus look? Sounds like black smithing. what gauge will you try?
I'm in the researching stage right now, just trying to get as much info as possible, I have seen some posts somewhere on using 1095 mixed with a nickel alloy powder but I want to go cheap to start. I'm think if you just use mild steel and fold it won't have the defined lines in the folds after its shined up. I'm thinking of hitting it with aluminum oxides or graphite powder when it's red hot between folds. I'm either going to blow myself up or create something cool or both.

EricB

I don't mean to be discouraging at all (if you make your own you will be my hero) but damascus seems like one of those things that is worth buying rather than making. [emoji14] You'll need a forge and a power-hammer (unless you're completely nuts) and it takes a lot of folds to get a good look. Maybe check out edmontonblacksmithshop.com They were developing a power-hammer they claimed was good enough for professional use, but cheap enough for serious enthusiasts.

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

Kris Jensen

I don't mean to be discouraging at all (if you make your own you will be my hero) but damascus seems like one of those things that is worth buying rather than making. [emoji14] You'll need a forge and a power-hammer (unless you're completely nuts) and it takes a lot of folds to get a good look. Maybe check out edmontonblacksmithshop.com They were developing a power-hammer they claimed was good enough for professional use, but cheap enough for serious enthusiasts.

Oh trust me I'm completely nuts, I figure I can go to the gym or I can try this

EricB

Haha! If you weren't such a dirty-stinkin' good for nothin' Stamps fan I'd have nothing but respect for you! ;) [emoji14]

Keep us updated on this, I can't wait to see what you do!

Kris Jensen

I figure for my purposes I can use a softer mild steel, I was also thinking to cut holes or repeating patterns in the steel when it's flat and then fold it, that way it could cut down on the number of times I would have to fold it

EricB

Cool, I'm excited to see how it turns out. I think most guys use acid as a finishing step after the knife is fully formed to have the lines show up more as well.

Kris Jensen

Okay now my mind is thinking... What if after everytime I folded the steel I surfaced the piece with interlocking beads of stainless and mild. Then fold it again and weld..... Weld, heat, fold, hammer, weld, heat, fold, hammer, weld, heat, fold, hammer,Weld, heat, fold, hammer, weld, heat, fold, hammer, weld, heat, fold, hammer,Weld, heat, fold, hammer, weld, heat, fold, hammer, weld, heat, fold, hammer

EricB

Weld beads might be a bit thick and hard, I'd probably just try layering different types of sheet steel together. You could even throw in some scraps from the plasma table.

Kris Jensen

Been looking at different designs of hammer presses made with leaf springs, an old clutch and an electric motor.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'm pretty pumped to see how this project turns out.

With regard to folding graphite in, carbon takes a long time to seep into red hot steel through the surface, I predict this one not working, but am keen to see if it does. Haha

Kris Jensen

I was going to post these pics and take credit for the work unfortunately that's not my nature, I picked these beautiful pieces last week they were made with 1095 steel and some kind of high grade stainless (can't remember) each piece was folded 250 times image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg

EricB

I talked to a blacksmith recently who said he actually uses cable, bike chains, etc. to make Damascus. It's already a bunch of layers, so it apparently goes pretty quickly.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Chris where did you get that sweet Damascus steel. Where can i get some and how much is it? That looks just perfect

Kris Jensen

If I order a bulk order I could probably get it for $45 usd for a 2" x 12" x 1/8" can also get it double wide but it has to be custom made so they will only do that if I order 10 or more for double the price.