• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques CX601 Mill - Quill DRO

Tips/Techniques

Joe Kirby

Finished my mods on the CX601mill existing quill DRO. I thought the existing DRO was hard to see (no backlight) and I wanted to sum the quill movement with the Z axis and display it on my DRO tablet. There didn't seem to be any way to output the signal from the existing PC board so thought I'd add a mag tape to the back of the DRO measuring bar and mount another sensor on a 3d printed back plate replacing the existing steel one. The cable routes easily through the headstock. All seems to work well and both DRO's work simultaneously.

original DRO.jpg
Original DRO on the machine

Existing DRO.jpg
Existing DRO taken apart. Steel backplate on right.

existing steel backplate and new 3d backplate.jpg
Original steel backplate and new 3d printed backplate and sensor mount

revised DRO assembly.jpg
Revised DRO assembly ready to install

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@Joe Kirby I have one of these on the way and am planning a DRO with TouchDRO.
Would really appreciate the stl for this clever mod!

Joe Kirby

Hi David,
Sure you can have a copy of the .stl. Just a couple of things when you build it.
There is a pointed 3mm grubscrew that holds the phosphor bronze spring from sliding out. The threaded hole in the bracket will probably require tapping out. Use the bracket as a guide when sticking the mag tape in place - it isn't centered on the bar.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi David,
Sure you can have a copy of the .stl. Just a couple of things when you build it.
There is a pointed 3mm grubscrew that holds the phosphor bronze spring from sliding out. The threaded hole in the bracket will probably require tapping out. Use the bracket as a guide when sticking the mag tape in place - it isn't centered on the bar.
Thanks Joe, I think you can send stls via PM