• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shop CWs parting tool

Shop

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Starting a thread - kinda new to this but here goes:

I wanted to cut off a piece of 1” diameter rod.
No lathe or parting tools so this was my solution. It worked well so I thought I’d share.
Clamped the grinder with a cut-off wheel in the mill vise. Don’t think it needed it, but i put blocking under the handle.
8345CDD2-EBBD-4633-881E-CC2A0FB049F8.jpeg
Checked to make sure that the disc was level (back to front and side to side).
00576D16-480B-44BF-84AE-7D2848529B52.jpeg
Used the X power feed to give a smooth and consistent cut.
BC1053E5-1CBB-44E1-87C5-19C758AC65F6.jpeg
CBDC7C98-64F5-4FB8-A86B-F43EF442AA5B.jpeg
C0EDE748-E0BF-4984-A188-2F93E48DFD3F.jpeg
It was quick and easy and gave a nice square cut.
9E0D2B37-C210-425B-9B97-99BBF544B0B4.jpeg
5A52F400-D7D5-42EE-ACBF-07DF006CB9AB.jpeg

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yep - two.
This worked better for this situation.
Nice to have options

Attachments

• 0EE05AF0-F99F-4840-AE99-EB2D77A0F6DE.jpeg
    0EE05AF0-F99F-4840-AE99-EB2D77A0F6DE.jpeg
    539.6 KB · Views: 8
  • A4BE567D-C5FC-43A9-98E8-B9A677FDE6E6.jpeg
    A4BE567D-C5FC-43A9-98E8-B9A677FDE6E6.jpeg
    771.1 KB · Views: 8

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice answer to a problem @CWret! You don't seem to be short on innovative solutions.

If you already know this, ignore me. I highly recommend covering everything with high density cloth or even news paper when using a grinding wheel, sand paper, or emery cloth.

Abrasive grit and dust gets into everything and can easily embed on your ways and cause ongoing damage. I'd give everything a good rinsing and then fresh oil.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'd give everything a good rinsing and then fresh oil.
Thanks
Will do. :)

Makes my grinder parting tool look like not such a good idea. Big cleanup required.
Thanks for the advice- maybe next time I’ll do that on the drill press.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Makes my grinder parting tool look like not such a good idea. Big cleanup required.
Thanks for the advice- maybe next time I’ll do that on the drill press.

Oh, I'm not saying not to do it. Just that I think that using abrasives on any machine with ways requires special precautions. For example, lots of machinists use tool post grinders and emery cloth on their lathes. I am one of them. But I would not do it without adequately protecting my ways. Abrasive grit and cast iron ways don't play very well together. So I get quite anal about protecting my machine.

I saw the photos of your setup and my sphincter muscle tightened up so I thought I should at least mention it. It isn't as high on my oh-oh list as really long stick out or leaving the key in the lathe chuck but it's up there.

I think it's a cool idea.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well not sure why i didn’t protect it (the ways), i most often use my shop vac or my large overhead exhaust fan on the work bench when grinding (or welding). I hate the mess and fine grinding grit that gets everywhere. Plasma cutting is terrible too. I’ll respect my mill better in the future. Thanks again for your that comment. :)

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hypertherm 45xp. Great machine but plasma cutting is notorious for nasty fumes and fine dust. I use it outside or with my home-built water table. Also, I wear a 3M respiratory under my welding hood whenever plasma cutting.

fixerup

Super User
Nice answer to a problem @CWret! You don't seem to be short on innovative solutions.

If you already know this, ignore me. I highly recommend covering everything with high density cloth or even news paper when using a grinding wheel, sand paper, or emery cloth.

Abrasive grit and dust gets into everything and can easily embed on your ways and cause ongoing damage. I'd give everything a good rinsing and then fresh oil

So true, it goes every were and into everything. I usually set up my vacuum cleaner dust catcher near by to suck most of it, but it still covers the rest of the shop with this fine abrasive dust. I have started to throw used bed sheet on some equipment and just leave it. The 3in 1 , lathe, the welding carts........ Such a simple protection and time saver, no more cleaning and lube before use. My lathe and mill tooling are stored on an open shelving, I stapled a clear vinyl sheet to cover the front. Should of done that many years ago.
My laptop was so bad, so after cleaning it I stretched a saran wrap film on top of the key board held with double sided tape at the 4 corners.

Once the wife brought the GPS in the shop and was asking me for help with the settings. Later she came back and told me I did something with the volume settings, we could barely hear it. It took me a while to figure it out. I opened the GPS housing and found a whole bunch of metal dust stuck on the speaker cone. I remembered, earlier I had set the GPS on the grinding table to clean my hand. That metal dust gets into everything. I realized I almost never wear a dust mask when grinding, after writing this, my mindset has change.

Ironman

Ultra Member
My plasma table is exhausted out of the shop with a 1.5hp vanaxial fan and all table surface not in use is covered so all the dist is sucked from the cutting area. The fan will generate a huge negative pressure in the shop so I have to have a door or window open before cutting.