Shop CWs parting tool

Shop

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Starting a thread - kinda new to this but here goes:

I wanted to cut off a piece of 1” diameter rod.
No lathe or parting tools so this was my solution. It worked well so I thought I’d share.
Clamped the grinder with a cut-off wheel in the mill vise. Don’t think it needed it, but i put blocking under the handle.
8345CDD2-EBBD-4633-881E-CC2A0FB049F8.jpeg
Checked to make sure that the disc was level (back to front and side to side).
00576D16-480B-44BF-84AE-7D2848529B52.jpeg
Used the X power feed to give a smooth and consistent cut.
BC1053E5-1CBB-44E1-87C5-19C758AC65F6.jpeg
CBDC7C98-64F5-4FB8-A86B-F43EF442AA5B.jpeg
C0EDE748-E0BF-4984-A188-2F93E48DFD3F.jpeg
It was quick and easy and gave a nice square cut.
9E0D2B37-C210-425B-9B97-99BBF544B0B4.jpeg
5A52F400-D7D5-42EE-ACBF-07DF006CB9AB.jpeg

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yep - two.
This worked better for this situation.
Nice to have options

Attachments

• 0EE05AF0-F99F-4840-AE99-EB2D77A0F6DE.jpeg
    0EE05AF0-F99F-4840-AE99-EB2D77A0F6DE.jpeg
    539.6 KB · Views: 8
  • A4BE567D-C5FC-43A9-98E8-B9A677FDE6E6.jpeg
    A4BE567D-C5FC-43A9-98E8-B9A677FDE6E6.jpeg
    771.1 KB · Views: 8

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice answer to a problem @CWret! You don't seem to be short on innovative solutions.

If you already know this, ignore me. I highly recommend covering everything with high density cloth or even news paper when using a grinding wheel, sand paper, or emery cloth.

Abrasive grit and dust gets into everything and can easily embed on your ways and cause ongoing damage. I'd give everything a good rinsing and then fresh oil.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'd give everything a good rinsing and then fresh oil.
Thanks
Will do. :)

Makes my grinder parting tool look like not such a good idea. Big cleanup required.
Thanks for the advice- maybe next time I’ll do that on the drill press.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Makes my grinder parting tool look like not such a good idea. Big cleanup required.
Thanks for the advice- maybe next time I’ll do that on the drill press.

Oh, I'm not saying not to do it. Just that I think that using abrasives on any machine with ways requires special precautions. For example, lots of machinists use tool post grinders and emery cloth on their lathes. I am one of them. But I would not do it without adequately protecting my ways. Abrasive grit and cast iron ways don't play very well together. So I get quite anal about protecting my machine.

I saw the photos of your setup and my sphincter muscle tightened up so I thought I should at least mention it. It isn't as high on my oh-oh list as really long stick out or leaving the key in the lathe chuck but it's up there.

I think it's a cool idea.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well not sure why i didn’t protect it (the ways), i most often use my shop vac or my large overhead exhaust fan on the work bench when grinding (or welding). I hate the mess and fine grinding grit that gets everywhere. Plasma cutting is terrible too. I’ll respect my mill better in the future. Thanks again for your that comment. :)

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hypertherm 45xp. Great machine but plasma cutting is notorious for nasty fumes and fine dust. I use it outside or with my home-built water table. Also, I wear a 3M respiratory under my welding hood whenever plasma cutting.

fixerup

Super User
Nice answer to a problem @CWret! You don't seem to be short on innovative solutions.

If you already know this, ignore me. I highly recommend covering everything with high density cloth or even news paper when using a grinding wheel, sand paper, or emery cloth.

Abrasive grit and dust gets into everything and can easily embed on your ways and cause ongoing damage. I'd give everything a good rinsing and then fresh oil

So true, it goes every were and into everything. I usually set up my vacuum cleaner dust catcher near by to suck most of it, but it still covers the rest of the shop with this fine abrasive dust. I have started to throw used bed sheet on some equipment and just leave it. The 3in 1 , lathe, the welding carts........ Such a simple protection and time saver, no more cleaning and lube before use. My lathe and mill tooling are stored on an open shelving, I stapled a clear vinyl sheet to cover the front. Should of done that many years ago.
My laptop was so bad, so after cleaning it I stretched a saran wrap film on top of the key board held with double sided tape at the 4 corners.

Once the wife brought the GPS in the shop and was asking me for help with the settings. Later she came back and told me I did something with the volume settings, we could barely hear it. It took me a while to figure it out. I opened the GPS housing and found a whole bunch of metal dust stuck on the speaker cone. I remembered, earlier I had set the GPS on the grinding table to clean my hand. That metal dust gets into everything. I realized I almost never wear a dust mask when grinding, after writing this, my mindset has change.

Ironman

Ultra Member
My plasma table is exhausted out of the shop with a 1.5hp vanaxial fan and all table surface not in use is covered so all the dist is sucked from the cutting area. The fan will generate a huge negative pressure in the shop so I have to have a door or window open before cutting.