Craftex vs King Canada

It looks like you could remove the motor, head, cross slides, motor and dolly/carry the King PDM-30 into the basement with a buddy???Let me know if I am just dreaming…lol

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i have a pdm 30, if you took the head off you and another guy could probably carry it, or dolly it down some stairs

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i would estimate close to half of the weight is in the head/motor/column, take that bit apart and it would be manageable to get the pieces down the stairs on a stair dolley

lucsimoneau

For what it's worth, I have a Craftex 601 and the plastic gear gave way the first week machining something, not even pushing it. I have since installed a timing belt from the motor to the spindle shaft with an increase in the overall RPM range. I find that the spindle speeds are too low on these machines especially when using small end-mill cutters.

I believe there are aftermarket gears for these machines, source them, buy them, install them when you need too. Saves you making gears. Simple.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
My King KC-20VS-2 definitely has plastic gears, can't speak for the Craftex CX600. Due to inadequate workpiece holding (operator inexperience!) the workpiece shifted during a heavy cut and stalled the motor. The photo shows the damage to one of the plastic gears. The local dealer supplied a new gear under warranty, and it wasn't that hard to replace. But the mill still has a noisy low range, so another plastic gear, deeper inside and harder to change, was also damaged and is on order. Weiss, who seems to be the Chinese maker, admits these plastic gears are breakage prone in their promotion of their newer, DC motor belt drive mills. The Grizzly G0704 looks to be the same mill, so they have the gears available if King doesn't. But I would have gone with a different mill if I'd known about the plastic gear issue.

View attachment 30469
Run, don't walk... RUN AWAY !!! the cheapening has become sickening !!

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It looks like you could remove the motor, head, cross slides, motor and dolly/carry the King PDM-30 into the basement with a buddy???Let me know if I am just dreaming…lol
I brought my pdm-30 into the basement alone no problem and I am a 140lb weakling , break it down into sizes you can carry, I removed the column from the base others didn't but with a buddy should be piece of cake. I was a bit worried before as well but it was unfounded.
I would just be patient there have been lots of round column mills for sale in the gta, prices even cheaper a bit out barrie etc, keep an eye out on kijiji and fb marketplace both are good sources and before you know it the right one will be coming home with you.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm ok with my king pdm30, belt changes kinda suck, and you need to work around the round column z axis issue, but for the money I would rather have a 2hp mill over a 3/4 any day

I have a VFD and a 3ph motor sitting that will eliminate most of the belt changes, once that is done It should get rid of that complaint

Last edited: