• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Craftex CT043 old style

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
No, I did not see that, wasn't looking. Seems far too inexpensive, must be driven by horses. Belay that, just found it. A lot of hobbyists have had fun with these, for sure but I was hoping to have something a little more substantial for my first metal lathe.
well to each their own, but from experience I know you'd likely like it and the price cant be beat. You'd also have a massive wealth of knowledge to fall back on if you need assistance of any sort.

If it was summer that lathe would be mine and I'd have already emailed the payment via interac

Gordie

Want to run down to Amherstburg and pick up a lathe and hold it for me :cool:

Just kidding
well to each their own, but from experience I know you'd likely like it and the price cant be beat. You'd also have a massive wealth of knowledge to fall back on if you need assistance of any sort.

If it was summer that lathe would be mine and I'd have already emailed the payment via interac
I get it. As you saw, mywood lathe is about 1956'ish. Runs smooth and quiet.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Man of this thing was in Alberta it would already be in my garage

@Gordie if your looking for a machine nothing wrong with a 12x36, worst case throw a new motor on it and your up and running

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Man of this thing was in Alberta it would already be in my garage

@Gordie if your looking for a machine nothing wrong with a 12x36, worst case throw a new motor on it and your up and running
I hope to move the 1440 off my skates this weekend, clean the floor, then toe jack the Bridgeport clone into the skates. at least... Lots of obstacles to get out of the way.

Gordie

I had a nice chat with Matt last night. Really nice guy. I left him to think about selling the 043 locally or at least to re-think his price once he can check fuse/motor. It wouldn't be right to give up his profit until he knows.

I have to bow out on this one. Transport costs using a rental van will be more than Matt's price ($759 for 3 days, $180 extra km, $300-350 fuel). The days are long gone when I would drive 12-14 hours in a day and then unload at the end.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I will be assessing the motor and electrical when it is out of the corner... I hope it's a fuse, because I need it to do some threading soon.

Gearhead88

Super User
I will be assessing the motor and electrical when it is out of the corner... I hope it's a fuse, because I need it to do some threading soon.
The one and only fuse is on the 24v control circuit .

There was a lot of coaching to get mine running again from the group here , as suggested at the beginning , when mine went on the fritz , several participants called it as a capacitor .......... , it would have only cost $20 - $30 if I had followed that advice . I dicked around for a while , bought a motor I didn't need , mindlessly poked around inside the electrical box , fried a couple of contactors , waited for parts to arrive from China , when I should have just replaced the capacitors .

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
I'm gonna go with ....... fix it and keep it , it's a pretty good lathe , mine is a work horse and has produced a lot of good parts , I like the gearhead design , no flipping belts . For what I do , mine does it all .

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Today, I opened up the electrical. It seems to me that the fuse is fine, I have included photos of the electrical box, motor, the fuse... I also cleaned all the dust from inside the gears and belts. Looks like they are in good shape.

What is next?

Attachments

• DSCN1380.JPG
    DSCN1380.JPG
    511 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1381.JPG
    DSCN1381.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1383.JPG
    DSCN1383.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN1382.JPG
    DSCN1382.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 20

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Today, I opened up the electrical. It seems to me that the fuse is fine, I have included photos of the electrical box, motor, the fuse... I also cleaned all the dust from inside the gears and belts. Looks like they are in good shape.

What is next?
I once wrote a guide... incomplete but a very good starting point for diagnostics.... I still have a draft in a word document

I'll put it in my google drive and share a link with you

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I'm gonna go with ....... fix it and keep it , it's a pretty good lathe , mine is a work horse and has produced a lot of good parts , I like the gearhead design , no flipping belts . For what I do , mine does it all .
Looks like this is the next step, capacitors. Where do I get them and how much do they cost?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Looks like this is the next step, capacitors. Where do I get them and how much do they cost?
first you test.

There are many other possible causes, in fact the contactors are just as likely of even more likely the cause of your issue.

Tell me what sounds and lights occur when you first power on the lathe?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
first you test.

There are many other possible causes, in fact the contactors are just as likely of even more likely the cause of your issue.

Tell me what sounds and lights occur when you first power on the lathe?
There are no lights, no sounds. There never were that I am aware of. I also went out and pressed the jog button , bur still nothing. Next to the the green button is a while button that might be a light ??? The switch for safety over the check is closed (I removed the guard a while back, but it if proper position).

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
There are no lights, no sounds. There never were that I am aware of. I also went out and pressed the jog button , bur still nothing. Next to the the green button is a while button that might be a light ??? The switch for safety over the check is closed (I removed the guard a while back, but it if proper position).
If there is no sound at all then the main contactor is the likely issue not the capacitors. The capacitors cannot start is the main safety circuit it dead because of a faulty contactor. That is what sends power to the two interlocked directional contactors

check your PMs

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
If there is no sound at all then the main contactor is the likely issue not the capacitors. The capacitors cannot start is the main safety circuit it dead because of a faulty contactor. That is what sends power to the two interlocked directional contactors
I am reading your guide. I will also check if there is an overload button on the motor, and safety for belt covers as it is still off from cleaning.

Gordie

Hi Matt. From your photo, it looks like the fuse is blown. Have you put an ohmmeter across the clips? Power off of course).

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Hi Matt. From your photo, it looks like the fuse is blown. Have you put an ohmmeter across the clips? Power off of course).
Hi Gordie,

I have not electrical test equipment, or knowledge. I will pull the fuse and closely examine it. I think you are seeing a reflection... I hope you are right.

Also note that the spndle is free, no binding, no sign of blue smoke or decolorization. The inside of the box looks very clean. The connectors going form the power in are not smoked.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I believe that what you see if the mounting screw in the middle of the fuse holder. The fine wire below what looks like a smudge of blow fuse is what really matters.

I was not aware that Matt has no electrical meter.. that complicates things. The guide I sent him has methods to check all the electrical components but that requires meters and a wee bit of knowledge how ot use them