• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Craftex CT043 old style

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I have a 15-year-old CT043 lathe for sale. Two days ago, I was turning some S7, and it died in the middle of a cut. I check breakers, tried a different plug, and it is still dead. I was in the middle of manufacturing some drivers for pounding ground rods into the ground, this job needed to be completed and off to Heat treat ASAP. I resurrected the 1440 CNC lathe conversion (mechanical broken). Luckily the CNC still works, and I was able to complete the turning. Since I have decided to go forward and fix the mechanical issues on 1440 (sheared pin on gear for feed screw), really, I do not need two lathes. I really can use the space the CT043 occupies.

Other issues are that the CT043 is blocked in by other equipment that I will be moving REAL soon. Once it is out of the corner, (can't get the hoist in because it is blocked), then I will see if it something so simple as a fuse. Bottom line is that this machine works (otherwise), has not a lot of hours on it, and will work again.

I need the space!!!!

Pictures will be attached soon. Cleaning nice first.

Gearhead88

Super User
There's a good possibility that it is something simple . When I bought mine new , only days into owning the machine , I replaced the motor on warranty , thinking about it now 18 years later , it may have only been a capacitor , they warrantied the motor because it didn't work . You saw the thread I started almost a year ago detailing the last malfunction and the repairs to get it fixed again . I bought another motor last go round , never used it , it's in a box on a shelf and it's my back up in case i need it , yup , it was a capacitor problem when the lathe went on the fritz last time . I have limited experience working on electric motors and troubleshooting AC powered equipment , my poking around inside the electrical box caused further damage / issues that delayed and complicated the original problem . Anyways , it could be an easy fix and if you need a motor I have one.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I have a 15-year-old CT043 lathe for sale. Two days ago, I was turning some S7, and it died in the middle of a cut. I check breakers, tried a different plug, and it is still dead. I was in the middle of manufacturing some drivers for pounding ground rods into the ground, this job needed to be completed and off to Heat treat ASAP. I resurrected the 1440 CNC lathe conversion (mechanical broken). Luckily the CNC still works, and I was able to complete the turning. Since I have decided to go forward and fix the mechanical issues on 1440 (sheared pin on gear for feed screw), really, I do not need two lathes. I really can use the space the CT043 occupies.

Other issues are that the CT043 is blocked in by other equipment that I will be moving REAL soon. Once it is out of the corner, (can't get the hoist in because it is blocked), then I will see if it something so simple as a fuse. Bottom line is that this machine works (otherwise), has not a lot of hours on it, and will work again.

I need the space!!!!

Pictures will be attached soon. Cleaning nice first.
what are you asking for the CT043? I had the belt drive version similar to this the CT041 and had converted it to variable speed. I had a couple people who wanted to buy it but could only sell to one of them. I may be able to fix it and pass it on

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
There's a good possibility that it is something simple . When I bought mine new , only days into owning the machine , I replaced the motor on warranty , thinking about it now 18 years later , it may have only been a capacitor , they warrantied the motor because it didn't work . You saw the thread I started almost a year ago detailing the last malfunction and the repairs to get it fixed again . I bought another motor last go round , never used it , it's in a box on a shelf and it's my back up in case i need it , yup , it was a capacitor problem when the lathe went on the fritz last time . I have limited experience working on electric motors and troubleshooting AC powered equipment , my poking around inside the electrical box caused further damage / issues that delayed and complicated the original problem . Anyways , it could be an easy fix and if you need a motor I have one.
I sure remember this lathe

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
what are you asking for the CT043? I had the belt drive version similar to this the CT041 and had converted it to variable speed. I had a couple people who wanted to buy it but could only sell to one of them. I may be able to fix it and pass it on
I really think it is a fuse. Since the only other thing wrong with this lathe is some light discolouration (needs some cleaning)., My price is 2 K as is. I need to get her out of the corner, and the Supra Mill is in my way.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I really think it is a fuse. Since the only other thing wrong with this lathe is some light discolouration (needs some cleaning)., My price is 2 K as is. I need to get her out of the corner, and the Supra Mill is in my way.
I will pass the info along to the couple of people I had interested in my lathe

One of the things that go on the motors is the terminal block in the motor. I've had 2 failures like this. A motor shop should have old parts that you could ask them to install or do it yourself.

They are funny size so the shop will likely have to look.

For me it was what pushed me to upgrade to a 3phase motor and VFD.

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
One of the things that go on the motors is the terminal block in the motor. I've had 2 failures like this. A motor shop should have old parts that you could ask them to install or do it yourself.

They are funny size so the shop will likely have to look.

For me it was what pushed me to upgrade to a 3phase motor and VFD.
Is it possible to add horsepower to this lathe? Do you think it would actually be able to cut ferrous metal or is the rest of it too light duty?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Is it possible to add horsepower to this lathe? Do you think it would actually be able to cut ferrous metal or is the rest of it too light duty?
the lathe was equipped with either 1.5 or 2 hp motor. It can cut ferrous material just fine. I'd think that more than 2 HP you need a better tool post, bolted directly to the cross slide.

I'm with @TorontoBuilder at 1-1/2 to 2 hp you definitely have enough power to ferrous metals. I started with a Logan lathe that had a 1/4 to 1/3 hp motor and was cutting 4041 steel, no problems. Just have to remember there are limitations to cut loading as stay within those limits. I now have the CX707 the replacement of the CT043. More than enough power to do just about anything

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I'm with @TorontoBuilder at 1-1/2 to 2 hp you definitely have enough power to ferrous metals. I started with a Logan lathe that had a 1/4 to 1/3 hp motor and was cutting 4041 steel, no problems. Just have to remember there are limitations to cut loading as stay within those limits. I now have the CX707 the replacement of the CT043. More than enough power to do just about anything
I know it's limitations. Definitely not the Colchester I worked on as an apprentice. It excels at cutting aluminum and wood. This S7 I was cutting was the first time I had tried to cut tool steel. I had cut CRS before, but conservatively. The Colchester from back in the day could HOG steel like butter. I finished the S7 on my 1440 lathe and was still staying conservative.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I am going to drop this to 1000 dollars as is. I still need to move it out of the corner to in front of the door for easy loading.
dude you are killing me...

This is a steal even for a BB lathe. IF I had a way to get it to Toronto at low to no cost I'd get it here, fix it and sell for you. I can see some Toronto DINK (Dual Income No Kids) paying $2000 easy to turn rings on in their garage... maybe even $2500

Gordie

Oh Flitz this may be too much of a temptation for me. I would have to sell my 64 yearn old wood lathe to make space and drive for 7-½ hours, one-way from Ottawa, but anything for a site-mate

I may be able to relieve TorontoBuilder of his dilemma and make a new one for myself.

Can someone would share how to PM on this site?

DGC (Retired, one income, two kids)

Attachments

• Lathe.pdf
    96.1 KB · Views: 6

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Oh Flitz this may be too much of a temptation for me. I would have to sell my 64 yearn old wood lathe to make space and drive for 7-½ hours, one-way from Ottawa, but anything for a site-mate

I may be able to relieve TorontoBuilder of his dilemma and make a new one for myself.

DGC (Retired, one income, two kids)
Gordie, let me just ask as well did you see the southbend lathe in pembroke for $150?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Lots of ways to do it. Here is the fastest. In the thread of interest, click on the icon (avatar) of the member you want to PM. Then click on "Start conversation". Give it a subject and write your message.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Lots of ways to do it. Here is the fastest. In the thread of interest, click on the icon (avatar) of the member you want to PM. Then click on "Start conversation". Give it a subject and write your message.
Want to run down to Amherstburg and pick up a lathe and hold it for me :cool:

Just kidding... o_O

Gordie

Thanks Folks. I thought the Avatar click would work but didn't want to accidentally start an unintentional public thread. Last time I was down past London, four pairs of Bose 901 speakers followed me home. All but one pair needed EQ rebuilds and new veneer.

Gordie

Gordie, let me just ask as well did you see the southbend lathe in pembroke for $150?
No, I did not see that, wasn't looking. Seems far too inexpensive, must be driven by horses. Belay that, just found it. A lot of hobbyists have had fun with these, for sure but I was hoping to have something a little more substantial for my first metal lathe.