• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Courses... CNC.. sait?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
http://register.sait.ca/saitApp/cal...Type=All&courseCode=MNFG-210&startTerm=000000

http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-cou...cates/cnc-operator-certificate-of-achievement

Anybody take the above course or other courses from the program of CNC classes at SAIT? it's the cont-ed ones. $650/ class. six in the program. So all in all quite a bit of money. Any comments? Just superficially I'm not sure how complicated the first course and second course actually are - seems like they could have skipped to lathes right off the bat - but I have no idea. Be nice to hear from someone who has experience.

What about courses elsewhere? Books? other options?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Seems interesting.

I can't recall, have you taken the prerequisite ( Machine Shop - Fundamentals - MACH 213)?

I'm interested to see what they teach in the cnc programming course. Like, is it specifically Gcode they teach, or a particular software?

JW

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I can teach you most of what there curriculum covers I have taken the CNC courses at Sait and furthered the learning at home and work. There course is good anyone who puts in a good effort will become a good CNC operator.

Tom O

Ultra Member
We haven't got ours hooked up yet due to redoing the inside of the garage then there is the power problem and which way to go rotary or digital converter for the transformer, Alexander my son is taking his 4th year in october but I might take you up on that offer lol the next step for us is walking into Haas we have been humming and hawing what to get the mini mill is nice but would lose a lot with a 4th axis so we're thinking the tm1/p or tm2 for the bigger table. Any thoughts?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
well the mini mill is excellent and runs on single phase power. As for hooking up 3 phase CNC machines in your garage you want a Phase Perfect. A friend set one up and it is really slick. Another friend of mine has a HAAS mini mill running off single phase power and it is decent if you work with in the HAAS controller limits. SYIL also has some single phase machines that are really slick.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well we went to T Skinner to get things rolling we're going with the tm1p with the 4th axis with chuck / tailstock ,rigid tapping ,programable coolant , the higher pressure tank , renshaw probe , auger , high speed machining , jog , and 64 gb memory.
We are looking at the phase perfect converter for the lathe maybe both if possible the mill will run on 220. Do your buddies have 100 or 200 amps to their house or is that another snag!

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
100amp service is enough. Sounds like you have some cool new machines coming your way. How much time have you spent 3d modeling and what software are you using. It's going to become important fast once you get all set up.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Cleaned up lathe.jpg We are using fusion 360 yet another curve to get comfortable with along with their cam program the cad Im not to worried about we can grow with it and Lars video's are a great help learning about its features . I've had a 3d printer for a few years although I haven't used it that much. Here is the lathe in its new home sheeting on the wall is almost complete now.

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I am also a fusion 360 user. It isn't a great program but it does the job. It does have allot of features which is nice

Tom O

Ultra Member
We talked to Electram in Edmonton it looks like we will be going with the PhaseMAXX-PH380D 30 HP digital phase converter $9535.00 + gst they also recommended a secondary surge protector so another $562.00 + gst with a 2 week delivery date.
They said that is for one machine at a time and you might not want to use the stove while it's running! lol
On the plus side we are getting near the end the paneling is almost done just one sheet to go on the next shuffle, the ceiling is mudded ready to sand and paint then it is just 6 / 4000 luminen led panels and 2 pairs of sunglasses ( on sale due to fall)

Tom O

Ultra Member
My Son and I sealed the deal on the Haas today with a 12 g downpayment (Can) then it will be 50% before shipping and the balance upon installation. So here we go it's going to be a race, "machine vs the first snowfall!"

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Tom - I'm sure a few of us would enthusiastically like to see all this working and in person! very exciting. -John

Tom O

Ultra Member
Yes it is exciting I'm looking forward to it but it is a good chunk of change! I'll get good use of it but it is more for my Son giving him a chance of starting a business or just side coin, if it goes good we can always transfer to a bay the machines will be paid for making the transition less painfull each month.