• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Copper vise jaws

Tool

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
No advantage other than not having to remove your hard jaws . The copper jaw plates just slip over the hard jaws saving time . Also , copper is softer than aluminum in most cases .

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
I made a set for my bench vise at work, and like them. Had seen copper jaws on YouTube etc. (Tom Lipton, probably) and was curious to see how it compared to aluminum. We didn’t have any stock heavier than 1/8” copper, so I silver brazed that to some brass.

To be fair, this is a light vise that gets used for filing, deburring, picking broken taps out for coworkers, etc., often on finished parts. (I also have the luxury of two heavier vises within 25’, if I want steel jaws)

I do like that the jaws are fixed, and can’t wander off.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Yeh right, for coworkers ;)
I have an unfortunate reputation for success, and a coworker who insists on trying to ram 8-32 taps through lampshade frames with a power drill. I've now told him I will never remove a tap for him again, unless he changes his approach. (He won't)

Had another coworker in the assembly department (since retired, in his late 70's) who would break taps in almost finished product, and seemed to view the removal of said taps as a black art.

Chipper5783

What would be advantage of copper jaws over say aluminum jaws? My favorite vise uses thick home made aluminum jaws. I did use some pieces of copper from pipe before.
Like Mr. Kitta says. A little RAE Vise made in Hamilton. It is not for heavy use/abuse. I just clamp it down close to where ever its needed. Granted it may not be what one would want if there was just one vise in the shop - however I have many vices.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 9

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought a set of heavy rubber and a set of aluminium jaws that simply attach to my steel vise jaws with magnets. They work well when they are needed. Mine are very old and have stood the test of time. Neither of these are exactly like mine. But they do convey the idea. There are LOTS of alternatives in many sizes.

Tamwell 2 Pack Vise Jaw Covers 1 Standard Set and 1 Grooved Set Vise Jaw Non Marring Pads 4.5 Inch Protective Covers https://a.co/d/ggjj9cO

CNRAQR Red 4" Aluminum Vise Jaw Protective Inserts AN Fitting Vice Jaw Covers with Magnetic for Wide Array of Vices https://a.co/d/4cXrriC