• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Components

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
My 2hp 3 phase motor worked very well for a while, with my home built 2x72 belt grinder after I installed a VFD to give me control over the speed and direction of the belt. The only thing now is after I installed a 10" rubber contact wheel and re aligned the wheels I have had trouble keeping the belt perfectly straight.

By how much time and money I put into blade smithing now, I have thought about purchasing a professional 2x72 belt grinder. Does anybody know of a very reliable model within Canada that is within my budget of $2000? I have seen several grinders online that are affordable and also have VFD, however, by the reviews I have read and the fact that they are Chinese makes me doubt that they would be reliable.
Almost every commercial grinder from the US is above $3000, and I definitely am not at that point yet. I am only looking for a grinder that would last and will be a big improvement from my home built grinder which has worked pretty well.

By how well it worked before my electronic upgrade of the VFD, and additional contact wheel I have also thought about redesigning the chasis with the contact wheel to help realign the wheels.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
@Crosche recommended these guys to me. I haven't checked them out yet so I don't have any feedback, but maybe he can weigh in.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Have you tried a different belt? I watched a video the other day with this same problem I‘m thinking one of Clough’s maybe that was fine after a belt change. At work if we had a belt that wasn’t tracking right we would wind some Tape around the center to correct the tracking.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I have lost many belts, trying to straighten the drive train, ceramic belts do work a bit better than flex belts because they are more stiff, but they still continue to run almost half way off the edge of the contact wheel. The tensioner is what is most crooked.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
There must be a twist or misalignment in your sander, how is it built ? One plate or hss/motor mount

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
That is what I feel I should redesign it. Currently the chasis is built with large steel square tube here is a photo of my design on fusion.

Attachments

• 1678151678395148537499052389688.jpg
    1678151678395148537499052389688.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 13

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
@Crosche recommended these guys to me. I haven't checked them out yet so I don't have any feedback, but maybe he can weigh in.

I have thought about that model, only it doesn't come with a motor. The motor I have would not work with it; but I suppose the total cost if I also purchased a 3 phase motor from them and used my own VFD would still be pretty affordable.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Here are some photos of the grinder while it is running.

Attachments

• 16781528831571494515999503714990.jpg
    16781528831571494515999503714990.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 16781529385265033310312073210344.jpg
    16781529385265033310312073210344.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 24

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I built one with tubing kinda similar to what you have, there were many alignment issues

The one I currently have (and built) is built off one plate, then all of the sliding arms just clamp tight to the plate, seems to be the more popular way of doing it now, less alingment issues

You already have the parts, you just may want to tweak or build a new frame, save your bucks for more supplies

Crosche

Super User
Here are some photos of the grinder while it is running.

From what I can see in the pictures, your drive & tracking wheels do not have enough crown to them. Also, it would appear that there isn't a lot of belt contact with your drive wheel. You should come have a look at my belt grinder set-up.

Aliva

Super User
This guy sells a complete kit. Might be worth a look. He also sells complete plans.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
This guy sells a complete kit. Might be worth a look. He also sells complete plans.
I used his plans to build mine but used a wheel set from Nexus.
Pretty easy build and good plans. The only issue I have, kinda, is that I used a 1725 rpm 3 phase motor instead of a 3450 rpm.
Still works really well but I do feel more speed would have been better.
No knife making around here, just putting a new edge on the screwdrivers after using them as chisels.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
another Canadian grinder is here:

also seems affordable.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
another Canadian grinder is here:

also seems affordable.

Seems to be. Until you compare cost to just go to your local supplier and order waterjet parts cut from whatever plans you have (at least in Toronto). Our waterjet prices have really become super affordable. This version does not rotate 90 degrees either which is a shame.

If this is what people are selling I should sell kits for a good rotating version but perhaps in a 2' x 48" which should have smaller footprint and wider appeal.

Six O Two

(Marco)
These guys make some pretty fancy-looking grinders in BC, with a price to match (although they do also have lesser priced kits).

I've come pretty close to buying the HouseMade grinder kits but the Scotsman in me couldn't bring myself to spend the money when I could just buy the metal and do it myself. But I actually think the v2 Jer Schmidt one is better featured so if or when I make one for myself, I might go that route.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not intending to be critical of the design, more an observation. This vertical component holding the idler wheel looks like it could be prone to bending side to side & that could cause tracking issues. Other designs seem to have a very beefy arm or it's integrated directly into the frame & only the axle changes angle slightly if I understand the mechanism correctly. Maybe before you toss your design, consider an upgrade in this particular area like square tubing or something more rigid?

Unless you are saying its just time for something new. I spent some time a while back collecting ideas & prices & plans but its an official back-burner project. The kit & commercial prices are up there & if anything getting worse with FX & shipping. If you got hold of some plans you like, you could get the parts water/laser cut. Yes they charge money, but shipping steel across the country has a cost too. I think Clough42 mentioned his SendCutSend parts + motor/vfd + wheels etc. ended up costing 2K (I might be off, watch the video). But that's USD & not sure if that was his incentive price etc. But he wanted his machine with his design features so it was worth it to him. A lot of guys don't have welding facilities which many of the kits require even though they have nice interlock tabs to help with alignment. I haven't seen too many 'bolt-together' only designs but I'm sure it would be comparably rigid if designed properly. Good luck!

1678215557564.png