Colchester 8000 gcsurplus Quebec

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member

FS600256-1365896.jpg

trevj

Ultra Member
If you look at the pictures, it is clearly marked as a Colchester Master 2500. If that helps anyone out.

Am surprised to not see a DRO on it!

Ironman

Ultra Member
I was surprised reading the specs that the bigger version of the 2500 is 40" C-C. It looks bigger, and is very well built for continuous use with oil pump and oil baths and reservoir. My rig is 40" C-C and also has a 9.5" bed, but no brake and clutch system or oil pump like the Colchester

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Is this an auction? Are prices likely to go up? Can anyone tell me what the market price of this lathe is?

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looking at the bid history, I see there are three guys that have done most of the lat bit of bidding, and a couple more than dropped out once the price started to go up.

My guess is those three alone will push it up to at least 6k. Otherwise I should have bid and rented a uhaul for the cross Canada trip.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
no taper either.
Actually, it does have a taper attachment. The retaining bar and lock block are not shown.

Edit: where they have the bracket for their tray attached to the TA, is where the retaining bar bolts onto.

428B5545-7F7F-403E-8500-838D1E522F9F.jpeg

That lathe (just like my Colchester Master 2500) has true Inch/Metric dials with 127/120 internal transposing gears in both the cRoss-slide and the top slide. Once changes between inch/metric by rotating the dial collar 180*. Takes less than 10 sec. The carriage and the tail stock have very precise Inch only dials on them. It is easy to hold a thou with either (after a bit of practice).

So, would a DRO be very nice? Yes, absolutely (I have it on my list of things to get). Does the lathe require one? No, not really, because of how they were designed from the factory.

Biggest beef with the Masters (and perhaps the Triumph, if it has similar “guts” in the headstock): gear noise. They are known to be quite noisy. There is a “design flaw” (imho) which can be addressed, improved and thus the noise all but goes away (or is at least greatly reduced). I had to do the repair to my machine because the gears were destroying each other because of a bad bushing and poor engagement (the design flaw).

Here is the link to the repair:

Last edited:

trevj

Ultra Member
I stand corrected, sneaky buggers trying to hide it. lol
LOL! Yup. Right there in plain sight!

May need to make the clamp that fits on the bed as an anchor for the slide on that though. But who knows what else may or may not come with it... Or it may be anchored at the end of the slider rod, under that checker plate cover...

I used a couple different Master 2500's in my Military time, and thought well of them. If I did not already have a well tooled up one, this would be a pretty attractive buy, as would the Harrison that was on Facebook recently.

Trucking across the Country, is just a phone call and another cost to consider! If it comes cheap enough, the landed-in-your-driveway price, can still be a pretty darn good deal!

Last edited:

trevj

Ultra Member
$5k plus taxes and fees.
Just Taxes, on the Crown Assets Auction. No fees. Gotta factor "Expenses" though, like I said above, getting it off the floor it's on, and on to your own as the buyer,

Fair buy! IRRC, a near clone of this machine sold by Grizzly Tools under their "South Bend" (huge sized) badge, is a bit over $20K US.

And you won't get out the front door at Busy Bee, or any other outfit, with much to show, for that money, these days.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Actually, it does have a taper attachment. The retaining bar and lock block are not shown.

Edit: where they have the bracket for their tray attached to the TA, is where the retaining bar bolts onto.

View attachment 42656

That lathe (just like my Colchester Master 2500) has true Inch/Metric dials with 127/120 internal transposing gears in both the cRoss-slide and the top slide. Once changes between inch/metric by rotating the dial collar 180*. Takes less than 10 sec. The carriage and the tail stock have very precise Inch only dials on them. It is easy to hold a thou with either (after a bit of practice).

So, would a DRO be very nice? Yes, absolutely (I have it on my list of things to get). Does the lathe require one? No, not really, because of how they were designed from the factory.

Biggest beef with the Masters (and perhaps the Triumph, if it has similar “guts” in the headstock): gear noise. They are known to be quite noisy. There is a “design flaw” (imho) which can be addressed, improved and thus the noise all but goes away (or is at least greatly reduced). I had to do the repair to my machine because the gears were destroying each other because of a bad bushing and poor engagement (the design flaw).

Here is the link to the repair:

damn, we may need to swap out the one master 2500 for this one...

too bad the auction closed. We'd have paid 6K which I doubt the dealer would have done. selling through the dealer at just the mark up I'd expect