Coal forge build

I thought I had read somewhere that the coal out of the upper Hat cr. was supposed to be good? .... But then, some miss guided soul thought it to be a good idea giving me false hope in some stupid rabbit that comes along each spring too.......:oops:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
So, Jr and I lit the forge for the 2nd time today and had some fun for a bit.

yLDP5Sjl.jpg

298ULNXl.jpg

L-R are the only things I have forged in chronological order so far.

#1 A coal rake. 1st thing I forged with my propane forge, Daughter did the loop on the handle. Made a few months back.

#2 A fire poker 1st thing I forged with my coal/coke forge, Son did the loop on the handle

#3 A small "damascus" billet of a portaband blade, and steel strapping. This was my first forge weld and it went well. I still need to cut and stack it again. Probably only going to do that once more before turning it into something yet to be determined. Probably a better version of the next item.
9G2YemOl.jpg

nL3zCJgl.jpg

JLMi6GWl.jpg

2NPWx04l.jpg

M2Z8srMl.jpg

775sz7Gl.jpg

#4 A divot tool for my FIL for fathers day.
6O5svg9l.jpg

SvRSqsJl.jpg

stZ7X5pl.jpg

That was a challenging one. I took way too many heats on this, and I burnt up some steel in the process (when I was in the garage trying to find punches.....), but it was pretty fun to get an idea I had earlier in the week out of my head and into steel. I REALLY need to make some tooling to help make future projects like this easier. I need some hardy tools to start with, A hot cut, a bending jig, A variety of proper punches.....Then I need to make some tongs.....vise grips are a PITA......

New hobby should keep me busy for a while. :D

I also want to make a new, smaller propane forge too.....I have a forge building problem....

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So, Jr and I lit the forge for the 2nd time today and had some fun for a bit.

yLDP5Sjl.jpg

298ULNXl.jpg

L-R are the only things I have forged in chronological order so far.

#1 A coal rake. 1st thing I forged with my propane forge, Daughter did the loop on the handle. Made a few months back.

#2 A fire poker 1st thing I forged with my coal/coke forge, Son did the loop on the handle

#3 A small "damascus" billet of a portaband blade, and steel strapping. This was my first forge weld and it went well. I still need to cut and stack it again. Probably only going to do that once more before turning it into something yet to be determined. Probably a better version of the next item.
9G2YemOl.jpg

nL3zCJgl.jpg

JLMi6GWl.jpg

2NPWx04l.jpg

M2Z8srMl.jpg

775sz7Gl.jpg

#4 A divot tool for my FIL for fathers day.
6O5svg9l.jpg

SvRSqsJl.jpg

stZ7X5pl.jpg

That was a challenging one. I took way too many heats on this, and I burnt up some steel in the process (when I was in the garage trying to find punches.....), but it was pretty fun to get an idea I had earlier in the week out of my head and into steel. I REALLY need to make some tooling to help make future projects like this easier. I need some hardy tools to start with, A hot cut, a bending jig, A variety of proper punches.....Then I need to make some tongs.....vise grips are a PITA......

New hobby should keep me busy for a while. :D

I also want to make a new, smaller propane forge too.....I have a forge building problem....

Wierd???? I can't see the images in your post but I can see them when I quote it????? And then they disappear again when I post the quote????

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Ya, it's something to do with Imgur links. They used to work just fine. They show up when I write the post, then disappear when I post it. For the way I post it's a PITA to upload pictures to the forum. I usually post the same build thread on other forums, and use their editing features, then copy and paste it here. Having to connect my phone to my computer and download the images to my laptop, then upload them to the forum, is another layer I frankly just don't want to deal with. I gave it a shot for the start of this thread, but tried to get the old way working for this update with no success. :(.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya, it's something to do with Imgur links. They used to work just fine. They show up when I write the post, then disappear when I post it. For the way I post it's a PITA to upload pictures to the forum. I usually post the same build thread on other forums, and use their editing features, then copy and paste it here. Having to connect my phone to my computer and download the images to my laptop, then upload them to the forum, is another layer I frankly just don't want to deal with. I gave it a shot for the start of this thread, but tried to get the old way working for this update with no success. :(.

Just upload them directly to the forum from your phone. Skip the laptop and imgur. That takes a layer away instead of adding one. It's easy. That's how I ALWAYS do it!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Then I have to type on a touch screen, hard no. What was working before was a great system. I'm hoping it's just a glitch in the matrix that can be fixed.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Then I have to type on a touch screen, hard no. What was working before was a great system. I'm hoping it's just a glitch in the matrix that can be fixed.

I think you could do all your typing on a computer. Then don't press submit. Just logon with your phone, refresh to get your draft, add the photos from your phone, and submit.

But honestly, I don't find typing on a phone all that difficult. And I'm an old man with shaky hands.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I only had about 45 minutes today between some other commitments, but I snuck out the shop and jammed this out quick from some offcuts that were lying around. I tigged it all because it was already out, and I need the practice.
b7bsLv4l.jpg iaJWCzC.jpg

I even painted it too. I'm going to weld a 2" receiver to the forge to mount this. And a couple more on the ends for a vise or other accessories. This should be a lot more sturdy than the tri legged stool that came with the blower. I've already knocked it over twice, and I can see now why this housing has been welded at some point in it's history......

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Shop time has been hard to come by the past couple weeks, busy summer, but earlier today I snagged a few hours before my baseball game tonight to chip away at my forge hood. I'm home now, with some recurring flared up sciatica I get to post about it from the couch instead of finishing it....

This is all scrap pile driven so I drew a quick wireframe based on the sheet metal I had laying around, and I liked the look of this radius cornered bed frame I had in the barn when I went digging so it got the nod.
hood.png
20230730_141135.jpg

I like curves, and incorporating them into as much as I can, so I wanted to do a kerf bend in this to form the side curves, while keeping the edge radius. I printed out some paper templates with critical dims scribbled on it and got to work. Marked the bends from each end, and layed out the kerf spacing the old fashioned way by walking some dividers.
20230730_145226.jpg

I needed at least an 0.08" kerf and decided to try doubling up some 0.045" cut of discs instead of using a 1/8" one, vs 2 cuts with the porta band. Face shield AND safety glass for this one.....My apprehension was unfounded as it was pretty uneventful and turned out great.
20230730_145504.jpg
20230730_145733.jpg
20230730_150423.jpg
20230730_151504.jpg

Some of the cross braces had some holes and slots I had to work around. I pre filled this one in before cutting it free just to keep the pieces in place. It'll all get welded up solid later.
20230730_153458.jpg

With all the kerfs cut and parts pre bent I did some brainstorming for a quick welding jig to tack them all together.
20230730_155420.jpg

20230730_155741.jpg
20230730_155912.jpg
20230730_160314.jpg

With them all tacked together, I grabbed the stool, sat down and welded them up solid with a series of alternating tacks.
20230730_161419.jpg

Backside showing some nice penetration. Should cleanup nice.
20230730_161814.jpg

Remember this guy...
20230730_162911.jpg
20230730_163125.jpg
20230730_163744.jpg

Undecided about filling all the other holes and slots. Those ones are on the backside and hidden, purely cosmetic, but it'll bug me.... We'll see how much time I have when I get back to them....You'll also notice 2 are different sizes. I only had one side of this rounded bedframe, so the smaller ones (with the holes and slots) were the cross members, and the bigger ones will go on the front. Trust me, it'll be fine ;) lol

I did clean up one of them to see how it looked before having to get to ball.

20230730_161739.jpg

A few pinholes left unfilled, but not too bad. Good enough for what it is....Still a bit more work on the forge itself too before I can call it done and get it setup permanently. I can't wait to finish it, and a few other tools before I can really get into some blacksmithing projects.

That's all for now. Not sure when I'll get back to it, but now that the Kids baseball is all done now, that's a few nights a week I'll get back from running around and coaching. Always a bittersweet time. I miss it, but I'm glad it's over...I'll be glad when mine is done too.

Attachments

• 20230728_182502.jpg
    20230728_182502.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230730_153701.jpg
    20230730_153701.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 3

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Nice. Please keep posting photos. I've been wanting to build a fume hood for over my foundry furnace and welding table for years and just never had the courage to attempt it.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
The hood will be a necessity for where I want to stick the forge. I have an old shed in the backyard that up until now has mainly been untouched since we bought the place and filled with a lot of old farm/animal stuff from the previous owner. I've finally (only took 13 years....) been chipping away at cleaning it out and finding new homes for stuff, and hopefully by the fall will have my forges and anvil all setup and vented under the roof, so I can continue without relying on the weather. I eventually want to build a new lean to off the back of the barn for my smithy, but for now this shed is the path of least resistance. This setup will be temporary......But nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution so......

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Well.....I didn't think it would be this long until I got back to this, but life got in the way......

Spent this weekend getting a bit farther on this and a few other projects. I can't say "finished" yet, because it isn't, but I made some major headway.

We last left off with all the curved uprights done, so I setup some angle guides on the welding table at 12" apart so I could start building the frame.
tTBU5Jd.jpg
prWuSc7.jpg
KU2js43.jpg

Pretty nice having the new shop computer and tv out there with the MotoGP practice one in the background. I got it all tacked up, then welded every joint solid, and ground them all smooth
PeRdCX8.jpg

One of the reasons I hadn't got to finishing this, is because I needed some sheet metal. I didn't like my original plan of using the scraps of this galvanized I had laying around, so I kept checking marketplace and kijiji for some used stuff. I lucked out earlier this week by snagging two of these 24x71" sheets of 10ga for $20. Enough to finish this, and another unfinished project that's also been hanging around too long (hard to believe eh?)
E7SjPxk.jpg
I traced out all the sides, and cut them out with the plasma. Then cleaned them up with my new to me big boy grinder and wire wheel. What an awesome tool.
Jk4OD5Ml.jpg
My original plans has some light duty sheet metal making this curve on the sides, but I was able to bump bend the 10ga every 1/2" or so with some molson muscle and over bent a bit so I could clamp it tight to weld. Worked better than I thought it would.
H22Y2Ccl.jpg
vDKart4.jpg uTN8ie3l.jpg by9xhfN.jpg
h4rnMLg.jpg

Satisfied with the look and fit, it was time to flip the hood down and weld it out.
LKJHf99.jpg
0bfB4T9.jpg

I just happened to look out the back door at the right time and catch this Mom and her daughter walking across the back treeline behind the barn. Always nice to see.
lw8suOW.jpg

And here it is all "done" for now.....
t9FfwV8.jpg
fGcLc59.jpg

I still have to weld the top on, ring roll a flange for the exhaust pipe, and cut the opening, but that will have to wait for a while. I have a busy next couple of weeks.

Hopefully it won't be another 2 months before the next installment. I really want this installed and working by the first snowfall......

Attachments

• XE9Zbgl.jpg
    XE9Zbgl.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 2

Proxule

Ultra Member
Well.....I didn't think it would be this long until I got back to this, but life got in the way......

Spent this weekend getting a bit farther on this and a few other projects. I can't say "finished" yet, because it isn't, but I made some major headway.

We last left off with all the curved uprights done, so I setup some angle guides on the welding table at 12" apart so I could start building the frame.
View attachment 38570
View attachment 38568
View attachment 38564

Pretty nice having the new shop computer and tv out there with the MotoGP practice one in the background. I got it all tacked up, then welded every joint solid, and ground them all smooth
View attachment 38567

One of the reasons I hadn't got to finishing this, is because I needed some sheet metal. I didn't like my original plan of using the scraps of this galvanized I had laying around, so I kept checking marketplace and kijiji for some used stuff. I lucked out earlier this week by snagging two of these 24x71" sheets of 10ga for $20. Enough to finish this, and another unfinished project that's also been hanging around too long (hard to believe eh?)
View attachment 38559
I traced out all the sides, and cut them out with the plasma. Then cleaned them up with my new to me big boy grinder and wire wheel. What an awesome tool.
View attachment 38563
My original plans has some light duty sheet metal making this curve on the sides, but I was able to bump bend the 10ga every 1/2" or so with some molson muscle and over bent a bit so I could clamp it tight to weld. Worked better than I thought it would.
View attachment 38562
View attachment 38572View attachment 38571View attachment 38558
View attachment 38561

Satisfied with the look and fit, it was time to flip the hood down and weld it out.
View attachment 38565
View attachment 38557

I just happened to look out the back door at the right time and catch this Mom and her daughter walking across the back treeline behind the barn. Always nice to see.
View attachment 38566

And here it is all "done" for now.....
View attachment 38569
View attachment 38560

I still have to weld the top on, ring roll a flange for the exhaust pipe, and cut the opening, but that will have to wait for a while. I have a busy next couple of weeks.

Hopefully it won't be another 2 months before the next installment. I really want this installed and working by the first snowfall......
Very nice work indeed,
keep up the solid work!