• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Other CMTS/SME Show

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Would love to go, but I'll stay at work running CAD from 2006, CAM from 2008, designing stuff, and making programs for our machines from the late 90's and early 2000's. :D

I always wanted to go to this though. Maybe next one....

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Have fun, don't spend too much money as you want it all :cool:.

Not me. I get enough disappointment going to the odd farm show. Multimillion dollar combines are not any higher up on my shopping priority list than that stuff is.

All I can say is WOW!

Seeing 2000IPM machining on a small demo machine. WOW! Some of the Metal 3D Printers, for a little more than a Plastic one with amazing resolution...

Some other stuff, I want (I'll find a use sometime) but $$$$$$

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Some of the Metal 3D Printers, for a little more than a Plastic one with amazing resolution

This has been a long time coming. I remember looking at sintered metal rapid prototyping at Faraunhofer in Germany 20 years ago and it was nowhere near prime time yet. It takes a long time to make stuff like that commercially ready.

But affordable Metal 3D printing would be soooooo tempting!

Was it sintered metal, or metal based epoxy, or...? Any brands to look at?

This has been a long time coming. I remember looking at sintered metal rapid prototyping at Faraunhofer in Germany 20 years ago and it was nowhere near prime time yet. It takes a long time to make stuff like that commercially ready.

But affordable Metal 3D printing would be soooooo tempting!

Was it sintered metal, or metal based epoxy, or...? Any brands to look at?
I have to look up a link and post it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Curious what amount of land is needed to be worth millions of dollars of farm equipment?

To be honest, I don't really know. That's all over my pay grade. I was just using it as a reference to talk about the high cost of industrial equipment. I suppose I could figure it out though. I do know that there are corporate farms around here that farm 2,500 acres that have million dollar combines. They probably write them off over 3 years and upgrade them every 2 or 3 years. But there are also some relatively new rules that allow farmers to write off up to 1.5 million in certain assets like combines in the first year. Again, it's over my pay grade. I'm just a little farmer by Canadian standards.

Another way of looking at it is that farm land sells for $20k an acre around here. So 50 acres is a million dollars. Mind you, land doesn't depreciate, but you still have to pay for it.

For the metal printing contact Shop3D.ca booth

In terms of machine costs, what you can get in the US$100K range for CNC is actually very amazing. Compared to a HASS or Tormach the extra $ spend will far exceed anything of equal or lesser value. Lower dollar (same or lower pricing as HASS or Tormach) machine though not shown as readily are also better.

I am amazed at the drop in pricing on the machines compared to last years show and available options and performance.

One machine I looked at for US$108K had run speeds upto 2000ipm with tool changer, 30K spindle, chip augers and large working area.

I may head back and consider looking at some of these machines again, as who knows what business opportunities may present themselves.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Most of the large farmers out in my area don't buy the big expensive machinery, it's all leased. Not sure now what the rules are but the leases used to be a total tax write off.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Most of the large farmers out in my area don't buy the big expensive machinery, it's all leased. Not sure now what the rules are but the leases used to be a total tax write off.

A lease is still a total writeoff.

Many farmers here lease too.

But even those that lease are starting to buy now because of the way prices are skyrocketing. They know the trade in value will hold and it gives them the option to hold on a little longer if they want.

When it comes to takes and write-offs, I have a saying I got from an accountant buddy. "I wanna be the guy who pays the most taxes in all of Canada....."

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You wouldn't have to pay much taxes this year with the crops in my area. Wheat running 8-15 bu/a, canola 8bu/a. chickpeas 10bu/a. At least the beef is a good price, for now. You guys keep buying beef, it's better for you than tofu.:)

Somewhat of a thread drift.....

Sometimes I wonder about the thought process of some members of the group.

CMTS is about manufacturing machines primarily in the hobby we are in, showing the latest and greatest, that most aren't even aware of yet being readily and economically available.

I think this falls under....

DANGER, YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I think most people on the hobby side are not very interested in the latest and greatest cutting edge stuff. It's not really all that applicable to what most of us do in our home shops with our small or antique equipment. Interesting, sure. But most of us have shops full of old fully depreciated and sold off equipment, or hobby sized tools. Furthermore, in my observations, the majority of home shop guys are not in the trade full time. A lot of electrical backgrounds, Computer/IT and Engineers from a variety of disciplines that don't get to work with their hands on a daily basis, and gravitate towards Hobbies that provide that. I'm somewhat of a rarity. Most of the guys I've worked with over the years want nothing to do with it when they go home, very, very few have home shops and even less of those want to talk about it on the internet. Sometimes I envy that.... Although I gravitate more towards fab/welding projects at home because I DON'T get to do that at work anymore.

I started off with a Logan and Drill Press as a mill. That didn't stop me originally from taking from what I saw at those shows and applying to simplistic setup for better result.

Learning and seeing what can be done only expands what you can do even if you don't have the latest greatest.

Hobbyist or not the open your eyes and learn instead of trying to reinvent something that's already being done. Even in my situation and setup some stuff is well beyond what I can do or even need, but the knowledge lets me improve what I do currently with little effort or cost and in some cases reduce the costs because I can do more with less.

All it takes is an open mind to see the advantages and applications. If you can you are stuck dealing with the same problems over and over (and asking the group for the same help again and again).

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'm not disagreeing with you. Just offering a perspective on perhaps why people don't care. I actually agree with you, and I'd typed out a multi paragraph novel of my thoughts on the subject in my last reply, and edited it down, and down, and down until I just deleted it, as I didn't want to start another thread drift. I always have a hard time articulating my points in a succinct manner.

In short, change starts with people, and most people don't want to change. Some are always up for an adventure to try new things and see where it leads, but others are very happy to just go with the flow and stick to what they know and are comfortable with. A baby will happily sit in a shitty diaper because it's warm and comfy. I've worked with many babies over the years. I'm slowly turning into one and need to break out of it.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
A very smart man I met in 1978 told me “never do for a living what you enjoy as a hobby. You’ll end up hating both.”. I took his words to heart and developed a job and hobbies that only mildly overlap, and it worked very well for me. YMMV.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Somewhat of a thread drift.....

Sometimes I wonder about the thought process of some members of the group.

CMTS is about manufacturing machines primarily in the hobby we are in, showing the latest and greatest, that most aren't even aware of yet being readily and economically available.

I think this falls under....

DANGER, YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING!
It’s the good luck affording it that depresses me, I hate drooling for nothing!

A very smart man I met in 1978 told me “never do for a living what you enjoy as a hobby. You’ll end up hating both.”. I took his words to heart and developed a job and hobbies that only mildly overlap, and it worked very well for me. YMMV.
I wanted to be a machinist and was redirected by my parents as a youth, I got started machining as a hobby and now do it professionally and have a blast doing it.

It’s the good luck affording it that depresses me, I hate drooling for nothing!
Actually what is surprising is some of you some of our member spend on used vises and other components is not much less than the better new stuff costs. The hardest part is finding the places to buy as KBC and that level of supplier would price it put of our range based on their business models. Going direct to these companies is more cost effective and having them all in one place.....well.....even better.