• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cincinnati hydrashift in red deer

Blue Wall

Yeah it was missing. Apparently they show up on e bay occasionally. Moving is the next challenge. I have the truck and trailer. Any body know of a picker truck in the Lacombe area. I have the means to unload it at my shop.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yeah it was missing. Apparently they show up on e bay occasionally. Moving is the next challenge. I have the truck and trailer. Any body know of a picker truck in the Lacombe area. I have the means to unload it at my shop.

Doug may know, he is in Alix AB. @historicalarms any suggestions here?

Does the machine still have it's steady rest?

Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
3d printed threading dials apparently work ok. It shouldn’t be too hard to design one for your lathe.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
nice score!

You can make a standard for the center of your lathe, and then make your carbide tool holders always on center quite easily. Saves a bunch of trouble and makes the 4-way easy to use and error free.

... how much does it weigh? ( I missed the weight on reviewing the thread)...

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
nice score!

You can make a standard for the center of your lathe, and then make your carbide tool holders always on center quite easily. Saves a bunch of trouble and makes the 4-way easy to use and error free.

... how much does it weigh? ( I missed the weight on reviewing the thread)...

Just under 4000 lbs according to the seller.

Blue Wall

Thanks guys. It will be awhile before she is up and running. Still have to finiosh my shop. Looking forward to the day when I have all this stuff up and running.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks guys. It will be awhile before she is up and running. Still have to finiosh my shop. Looking forward to the day when I have all this stuff up and running.

Well..... we're going to want pics of the move for sure.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
another option would be D B Services Construction (Danny Beech) in Lacombe, they would have an industrial loader that would easily lift that onto a trailer. He has several smaller 2-2.5 yrd front end loaders that would safely/easily lift upwards of 6000 lbs.

Wait for a week before pick-up and the cold snap coming will re-freeze the ground under the vendors driveway ( I'm assuming it is residential) so no danger of damaging his concrete. With this in mind , the 20 T oilfield picker, altho probably very pricy ( I'm thinking $250 just to turn the key) compared to a loader, will be able to reach out and pick that puppy at the garage door right from the street...wont need to involve the driveway at all.

Blue Wall

another option would be D B Services Construction (Danny Beech) in Lacombe, they would have an industrial loader that would easily lift that onto a trailer. He has several smaller 2-2.5 yrd front end loaders that would safely/easily lift upwards of 6000 lbs.

Wait for a week before pick-up and the cold snap coming will re-freeze the ground under the vendors driveway ( I'm assuming it is residential) so no danger of damaging his concrete. With this in mind , the 20 T oilfield picker, altho probably very pricy ( I'm thinking $250 just to turn the key) compared to a loader, will be able to reach out and pick that puppy at the garage door right from the street...wont need to involve the driveway at all.
Thanks....great thoughts I'll give Danny a call

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I was in Lacombe yesterday and had time to kill before my doc's appt. so drove around all the industrial area looking to see if i could spot a light duty picker somewhere but no joy...but i did see Downtons oilfield picker...Tandem-Tridem set-up, gonna be costly but it will definitely pick from street to garage door.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Blue Wall...When are you going to be ready/wanting to move your lathe...I'm just thinking ( cold outside & drinking coffee...a dangerous combination) if your going to do it in the spring (my truck is parked for the winter) after your shop is ready, we may be able to move that thing without any commercial involvement at all.
I have 2 4000 lb engine hoists ( one for each end) and a flat deck trailer that will easily haul that old girl.
If you and a couple of buddies can do the grunt work, I can supply the equipment. Will take a little longer but be considerably less expensive ( steel bar for a couple of spreader bars & fuel cost & a sandwich)

Blue Wall

Blue Wall...When are you going to be ready/wanting to move your lathe...I'm just thinking ( cold outside & drinking coffee...a dangerous combination) if your going to do it in the spring (my truck is parked for the winter) after your shop is ready, we may be able to move that thing without any commercial involvement at all.
I have 2 4000 lb engine hoists ( one for each end) and a flat deck trailer that will easily haul that old girl.
If you and a couple of buddies can do the grunt work, I can supply the equipment. Will take a little longer but be considerably less expensive ( steel bar for a couple of spreader bars & fuel cost & a sandwich)
Hey Doug: I tried DB services and they didn't get back to me. I ended up finding a guy through a friend and was able to load it and bring it home yesterday. It was a rush job as he fit me in. I forgot all about pictures. So it waits for me to get my shop ready and to find its place. Thanks for the thinkin bout me though.
Be safe Ron