• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Chuck key sizes poll

Your lathe chucks key sizes

• Total voters

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@a smile, for reasons I don't fully understand, I have found that measuring the key results in a fairly consistent measurement varying only slightly depending on which pair of faces is used.

However, measuring the corresponding female socket on the chuck is highly variable. Perhaps it is wear related or poor quality, or or or. In most cases, my chuck keys are a loose to very loose fit to the sockets. In all cases on my chucks, fiddling with the Calipers can change the readings more than I think is reasonable.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
That's my experience too. One chuck with 3 sockets sees more variation between sockets than I expected. I'm up now so after my coffee I'll get some more detailed measurements.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
@a smile, for reasons I don't fully understand, I have found that measuring the key results in a fairly consistent measurement varying only slightly depending on which pair of faces is used.

However, measuring the corresponding female socket on the chuck is highly variable. Perhaps it is wear related or poor quality, or or or. In most cases, my chuck keys are a loose to very loose fit to the sockets. In all cases on my chucks, fiddling with the Calipers can change the readings more than I think is reasonable.
Hi Daddy SUS, I've seen a lot of responses on this thread from people worried that too much torque will damage the chuck? I am not a professional mechanical practitioner, my early use of chuck is 160mm, using 10*10 keys, now using 200mm, 250mm/300mm chuck, key 11mm,12mm. I don't think I have enough strength to damage the chuck with the current key, even if it is used continuously for a long time, it is difficult to damage the chuck, unless you increase the length of the steel pipe and add a lot of torque like many savage turns. Therefore, according to my actual use effect, the length of the 10*10mm key extension rod is 240mm, the length of the 11*11, 12*12 extension rod is 240mm, 260mm, and the maximum length is 280mm. I think it is very difficult to damage the chuck even if you use 280mm afterforce bar on 10mm key, I would be more worried about the key being damaged. Therefore, please rest assured to use the appropriate key, the only premise is "please do not use inferior chuck, especially made in China".

Probably because of the habit I developed in the forums in China a long time ago, I don't think the forums are a suitable place to sell. After all, the purchasing power of forum members is much lower than that of enterprises. Very few DIYER would use expensive tools, and even if he was wealthy, I think he would have calculated expensive expenses carefully. There is also a more personal reason, I think once the money relationship with friends in the forum, it will destroy the peaceful and friendly atmosphere between friends, but I don't mind friends buying from my Amazon store, and I hope he will give the actual use of the evaluation (good or bad) I welcome. I like it here because there is a large group of people with the same hobby as me, and I can relax and exchange experiences and feelings with each other.

I am currently changing the design scheme of the key, and I hope to have better works that can make everyone have a better use experience. For me, constantly improving the level of tool design and production is the main reason why I am here, and also the source of happiness.

So, if I settle on a new design, that's roughly how many of the existing products from these three models will be made. May I request that you test the square dimensions of the inner holes of each chuck? Are you sure these sizes are not using metric keys that are close to the imperial size?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi Daddy SUS, I've seen a lot of responses on this thread from people worried that too much torque will damage the chuck?..... I don't think I have enough strength to damage the chuck with the current key, even if it is used continuously for a long time, it is difficult to damage the chuck, unless you increase the length of the steel pipe and add a lot of torque like many savage turns....... I think it is very difficult to damage the chuck even if you use 280mm afterforce bar on 10mm key, I would be more worried about the key being damaged. Therefore, please rest assured to use the appropriate key, the only premise is "please do not use inferior chuck, especially made in China".

I guess I don't share your optimism about how strong the internal scrolls and mechanisms are. I'm also very aware of how strength varies between individual users. @Dabbler posted a while back about his experiences and I agree with what he said. When you look closely at the ramp angles on the scrolls and racks, there is already a lot of leverage involved and adding more is probably not wise. That said, everyone appreciates having to apply less effort.

My preference would be to find some good technical recommendations from the better manufacturers and then to use torque limiting devices and mechanisms to achieve those targets and stay within safe limits.

Then there is the issue of the cam-lock attachment. Which has a very different strength damage potential than the scrolls and worms.

Probably because of the habit I developed in the forums in China a long time ago, I don't think the forums are a suitable place to sell. After all, the purchasing power of forum members is much lower than that of enterprises. Very few DIYER would use expensive tools, and even if he was wealthy, I think he would have calculated expensive expenses carefully. There is also a more personal reason, I think once the money relationship with friends in the forum, it will destroy the peaceful and friendly atmosphere between friends, but I don't mind friends buying from my Amazon store, and I hope he will give the actual use of the evaluation (good or bad) I welcome. I like it here because there is a large group of people with the same hobby as me, and I can relax and exchange experiences and feelings with each other.

This is a constant danger and risk in all fields of endeavour, not just our forum. I try hard to distinguish between what I buy from very small businesses and what I buy from large corporations, but also between low cost and high cost products. My experiences with supplier development in the past also helps me understand the challenges that small businesses have in product development and quality control. You seem to understand that balance quite well and I think you are doing ok.

I am currently changing the design scheme of the key, and I hope to have better works that can make everyone have a better use experience. For me, constantly improving the level of tool design and production is the main reason why I am here, and also the source of happiness.

Continuous improvement is a very satisfying undertaking for many of us. But it's always easier to embrace that attitude for yourself than it is to impose it on others - especially a spouse..... LOL!

May I request that you test the square dimensions of the inner holes of each chuck? Are you sure these sizes are not using metric keys that are close to the imperial size?

In my own case, I already did that. Basically, I laid out the probable sizes in both metric and imperial and then "plotted" the size measurements to see what was most likely. I am very confident in the sizes I chose for my own chucks even after taking into account the variability of the measurements. I think it is also important to recognize that some chuck keys may not be a proper match to the chuck. One might be metric and the other imperial. That's another reason that I have measured both.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks @Janger for helping out @a smile with his marketing - i just received my 10mm chuck wrench. It is not just nice - it is an awesome addition to my tools.

Not only does it look good but it works even better than it looks. (Don’t think this has ever been said about me).

I recommend this to fellow Forum members. A bit pricey, yes - but now that it is in my hands, i see it as worth every penny.

a smile - here’s a thought for your next product. Modify the chuck wrench to become a milling vise speed wrench. I made my own vise speed wrench- it works well but using your design from the chuck wrench would make a terrific vise speed wrench. - No commission required.

CW

PS - your included ‘Toosmile’ decal made it to my tool box - which is a compliment.
(Suggestion- upgrade the decal quality to match the excellent quality of the tool)

Attachments

• 154E5609-94A6-4170-A435-3B65C9E25E7B.jpeg
    154E5609-94A6-4170-A435-3B65C9E25E7B.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 17
  • AADB129E-BD8A-4E84-8ED3-9035AE099881.jpeg
    AADB129E-BD8A-4E84-8ED3-9035AE099881.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 16
  • C22C518D-92B3-444F-9F6E-2B6F654BD44F.jpeg
    C22C518D-92B3-444F-9F6E-2B6F654BD44F.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 21A51887-FFA0-490D-A041-B9CDE2E6BB8B.jpeg
    21A51887-FFA0-490D-A041-B9CDE2E6BB8B.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 14
  • CD9168A7-DD73-42B9-9DA0-2B064F4E6BCB.jpeg
    CD9168A7-DD73-42B9-9DA0-2B064F4E6BCB.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 16

a smile

Premium Member
Thanks @Janger for helping out @a smile with his marketing - i just received my 10mm chuck wrench. It is not just nice - it is an awesome addition to my tools.

Not only does it look good but it works even better than it looks. (Don’t think this has ever been said about me).

I recommend this to fellow Forum members. A bit pricey, yes - but now that it is in my hands, i see it as worth every penny.

a smile - here’s a thought for your next product. Modify the chuck wrench to become a milling vise speed wrench. I made my own vise speed wrench- it works well but using your design from the chuck wrench would make a terrific vise speed wrench. - No commission required.

CW

PS - your included ‘Toosmile’ decal made it to my tool box - which is a compliment.
(Suggestion- upgrade the decal quality to match the excellent quality of the tool)
Today, 2023.11.08!

I want to tell you that I received the best gift of the year ----------- today with a generous compliment!

Although I know this key is not perfect, but CWret still gave a very high review, I want to say here: thank you for giving me confidence.

I now know that there are many people who need a good vice key, I have also planned to design and make some, and recently I have been busy modifying the hydraulic press is one of the important equipment. I wanted the machining process I had in mind to perform perfectly, probably because I had no experience with hydraulics and stamping. A lot of my ideas come from YOUTUBE video learning. I think I really don't have time to systematically learn some knowledge from books, although I hope I can have time.

Would anyone like to provide some dimensions for the vice keys? I hope you can measure the exact dimensions of the opposite sides of the outer hexagon and attach a photo of the hexagon part. It is better to have some requirements and suggestions for you. I will give the design drawing after comprehensive consideration, try to make it after getting the approval of most people, and give it to people in need as a sample. Because I will make many samples for actual testing and improve some defects. So, if you don't mind some deficiencies of the sample, you will receive it for free.

There are three points I need to explain: 1. The time may be uncertain, because I am not sure when the goods will be shipped to Canada again. (I will send it on the way with the merchandise). 2. Please pay the freight within Canada. 3. I do not know how many sizes of keys will be told to me, so I am not sure I will make the ones you need, because I will try to take into account some models that are used more by everyone.

So be prepared for the fact that your measurements may be wasted.

Now, the general design outline is: make a longer hex extension bar that can accommodate both ends of your vise with a chuck key, so that you don't have to use more keys and may need you to temporarily lock into your vise.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@a
Today, 2023.11.08!

I want to tell you that I received the best gift of the year ----------- today with a generous compliment!

Although I know this key is not perfect, but CWret still gave a very high review, I want to say here: thank you for giving me confidence.

I now know that there are many people who need a good vice key, I have also planned to design and make some, and recently I have been busy modifying the hydraulic press is one of the important equipment. I wanted the machining process I had in mind to perform perfectly, probably because I had no experience with hydraulics and stamping. A lot of my ideas come from YOUTUBE video learning. I think I really don't have time to systematically learn some knowledge from books, although I hope I can have time.

Would anyone like to provide some dimensions for the vice keys? I hope you can measure the exact dimensions of the opposite sides of the outer hexagon and attach a photo of the hexagon part. It is better to have some requirements and suggestions for you. I will give the design drawing after comprehensive consideration, try to make it after getting the approval of most people, and give it to people in need as a sample. Because I will make many samples for actual testing and improve some defects. So, if you don't mind some deficiencies of the sample, you will receive it for free.

There are three points I need to explain: 1. The time may be uncertain, because I am not sure when the goods will be shipped to Canada again. (I will send it on the way with the merchandise). 2. Please pay the freight within Canada. 3. I do not know how many sizes of keys will be told to me, so I am not sure I will make the ones you need, because I will try to take into account some models that are used more by everyone.

So be prepared for the fact that your measurements may be wasted.

Now, the general design outline is: make a longer hex extension bar that can accommodate both ends of your vise with a chuck key, so that you don't have to use more keys and may need you to temporarily lock into your vise.
I also received my chuck key and I'm very pleased.
Super impressed by the quality; excellent packaging, beautiful finish on the key and a really clever design. I haven't had a chance to use it ias my lathe is in pieces but maybe by the weekend I'll have a chance.
Many thanks for such excellent craftmanship. 漂亮的工作

a smile

Premium Member
I need to make it clear that your collection is the logo that I put on the box. I'm afraid it might get damaged in transit, so bring JOHN some spare stickers that can be replaced.

But your suggestion is very very good, I will customize some characteristic labels in the later stage and send them to the consignee together with the tool! If there is anyone here who happens to be a graphic design practitioner who would like to design a nice label for me. (Free), I will thank you for your effort and promise to make some tools for you in return.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You missed my point about the decals. The graphic design is just fine. It’s simple yet unique and unmistakable. All good things. If you want a simple graphic improvement - add a colour. Pick a colour you like and make it a consistent colour you use with all your products and labels. How about (for example) making the T a forest green and the rest plain black? Or instead of green and black - how about bright yellow and dark orange?

My original decal comment was directed at the quality of the paper that could be (should be) improved. The paper and surface finish is no better than a single use mailing label. It should be more durable and have a brighter contrast between the black and white. The decal’s finish is not shop friendly- it won’t stand up to oily or greasy hands.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Would anyone like to provide some dimensions for the vice keys? I hope you can measure the exact dimensions of the opposite sides of the outer hexagon and attach a photo of the hexagon part.
I will take some measurements of my vise. I will also add some pictures of the vise speed wrench i made. I’ll also offer a comment or two about the chuck wrench design - but in a few days - busy with other stuff now.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Plastic decals not paper decals. Plastic decals would be more durable. I have the same problem with the label on my paint mixer.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My speed wrench arrived last night. I opened it today.

It really is beautiful. It's one of those tools you want to put on display instead of hiding in storage.

I had to laugh. Despite reading other comments about the spring and follower, I pushed it out with the bar but it got stuck part way so I withdrew the bar figuring I did something wrong and "BOING!" The Jesus Spring and follower took off across the entire kitchen somehow finding the open basement door, then gaining energy as it bounced downstairs disappearing into the interstellar black hole down there...... I finally found it hiding under the treadmill in the back corner. Glad it didn't find the grandkids toy box.....

The finish and fit is superb. I especially like the satin and polished and knurled mixture. Easily worth the cost. I have not tried using it yet, but I think it could benefit from a simple multi language instruction sheet for idiots like me. The instructions could include a graphic or two and assembly and usage instructions. It could even include some marketing info for your other models and products. I'd be happy to help with the instructions and usage language. I could also include drawings but you would have to have them redone to look professional since my Fusion 360 CAD skills are severely lacking.

I had to laugh. Despite reading other comments about the spring and follower, I pushed it out with the bar but it got stuck part way so I withdrew the bar figuring I did something wrong and "BOING!" The Jesus Spring and follower took off across the entire kitchen somehow finding the open basement door, then gaining energy as it bounced downstairs disappearing into the interstellar black hole down there...... I finally found it hiding under the treadmill in the back corner. Glad it didn't find the grandkids toy box.....
......trust an engineer :rolleyes::p

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

It really is beautiful. It's one of those tools you want to put on display instead of hiding in storage.

Admittedly I did the same thing. I thought "Great I broke my new toy :("

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It came with a small spacer in place to retain the spring during shipment. The idea was/is to push out the spacer with the wrench shaft and then no sudden ‘boing’ while assembling the wrench. Yes some instructions here would have been helpful. (@a smile take note) I just got lucky. Guess i should have bought a loto ticket that day.
I think ‘boing’ is an engineering term.
In the aeronautical industry it is called a ‘Boeing’
Luckily i avoided that surprised - but absolutely ‘a smile’ should have included some instructions to avoid this mouse trap surprise.

a smile

Premium Member

The finish and fit is superb. I especially like the satin and polished and knurled mixture. Easily worth the cost. I have not tried using it yet, but I think it could benefit from a simple multi language instruction sheet for idiots like me. The instructions could include a graphic or two and assembly and usage instructions. It could even include some marketing info for your other models and products. I'd be happy to help with the instructions and usage language. I could also include drawings but you would have to have them redone to look professional since my Fusion 360 CAD skills are severely lacking.
It came with a small spacer in place to retain the spring during shipment. The idea was/is to push out the spacer with the wrench shaft and then no sudden ‘boing’ while assembling the wrench. Yes some instructions here would have been helpful. (@a smile take note) I just got lucky. Guess i should have bought a loto ticket that day.
I think ‘boing’ is an engineering term.
In the aeronautical industry it is called a ‘Boeing’
Luckily i avoided that surprised - but absolutely ‘a smile’ should have included some instructions to avoid this mouse trap surprise.
Put a set screw on the end so no boing? That’s how it’s done on my sliding handle tap wrench.
I apologize to all my friends!

I forgot to explain it, and I thought everyone knew how to put it together.

The other problem is that I don't really have much time to focus on anything other than production. If anyone here would like to shoot a video using it, as well as a video combining it, and dubbing it (in English), I would really appreciate it. Perhaps the only way I could express my gratitude would be to promise to help him build something small for a very broad period of time (because the delivery time is uncertain), or to give away some of the various test samples I have made (not perfect).

It happens that I have been making and testing press recently, and will make some inner diameter tool heads of various sizes. If anyone needs it, please give me your exact size and length, and I will make it as a reference. If it's perfect, I'll send it at the right time. (Postage is borne by the consignee)

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Ok everybody. What is the best word or name for the brass follower below? The follower is pushed by a spring against the flat on the handle bar. This is to keep the handle bar from flopping, rotating, and sliding around. It also acts to hit the end of the flat and act as a stop to keep the bar from coming out. So what is it?

Attachments

• IMG_4223.jpeg
    IMG_4223.jpeg
    765.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: