• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Chuck key sizes poll

Your lathe chucks key sizes

• Total voters
Another comment about the survey @Janger. I know the survey tools don't allow it, but what the survey misses is both the frequency of use for each size as well as the number of chucks of that size for each user.

The fact that I have 9, 10, 11, and 3/8, totally misses the fact that I use my two 10mm chucks more than the others by a wide margin.

It might be good to ask the same question a different way. "What size do you use most?" I think that would size up the market a bit better for @a smile.

Then again, it's looking like the current survey might just yield the same answer anyway.... LOL!

An air chuck uses air pushing against springs to open the jaws. It is very limited in what it can hold size wise and is only good for round stock. Also has no through hole. It came with a CNC lathe I bought.
CNC lathe?? Ok spill @Upnorth.! What kind of lathe? pictures? tell us more. Maybe in the CNC forum area ?

I think John you've got an idea there. @a smile I think if you decide to make a wrench with different sized tips - the tips need to be tooless to swap one tip for another.
Yes, when you see the actual key, you will understand my long-term plan, the hexagonal part and the middle M6 thread hole is the future expansion, locking other dimensions and other tools extension connection location. You can try to make some samples yourself sometime. I'll provide you with the drawings.

CNC lathe?? Ok spill @Upnorth.! What kind of lathe? pictures? tell us more. Maybe in the CNC forum area ?
I'll post some photos when it's up and running. It's a small desktop type made by a company called Hercus in Australia. Google Hercus compulathe if you want to see what they look like. Mine is in pieces right now. Has not been in production for a long time but has a following. Came with no electronics so it's getting a Centroid Acorn.

I'll post some photos when it's up and running. It's a small desktop type made by a company called Hercus in Australia. Google Hercus compulathe if you want to see what they look like. Mine is in pieces right now. Has not been in production for a long time but has a following. Came with no electronics so it's getting a Centroid Acorn.
@Upnorth I have a Hercus!!! It's a Hercus branded as Rockford. And I had a friend install Centroid Acorn and new motors. And I bought a new computer for it. Interesting you have a air chuck. I didn't get that. Does it have a tailstock? Tool changer?

Hi Forum,

I received a couple of boxes of lathe index keys made by @a smile. They are simply stunning tools. They are not shop made - these are professionally manufactured. It's incredibly inspiring to see what a motivated person can make in their shop. I'll post pictures and video.

Two big boxes. Arrived clean and undamaged. Full of tools! :)
IMG_4231.jpeg IMG_4234.jpeg 10, 11 12mm sizes.

IMG_4235.jpeg 12 mm in the box.

IMG_4236.jpeg 12mm unpacked. There are some differences in material in the different sizes.

IMG_4223.jpeg 10mm disassembled

Here is the tool disassembled. Note the brass pin and spring inside the hole which presses on the rod keeping it in place. Yet it slides easily back and forth on the ground flat on the bottom of the adjustable rod. Beautifully knurled nut and spacer locks the adjustable arm in place.
IMG_4224.jpeg
Close up of the brass pin/pusher and spring. Smart detail here - when disassembled the pin does not go flying across the room. The access hole above is too small for it to pop out.

In the box the tool comes disassembled. Thoughful detail - there is steel plug in the hole for the adjusting arm. You push the adjusting arm through and the plug pops out without having to struggle with reloading the spring loaded pin. The plug is nice stainless steel with smooth edges.
IMG_4226.jpeg

This is the spinning handle assembly. The bolt goes through the handle and locks onto the end of the adjustable arm. There is just enough clearance for the stainless handle to still spin yet the handle is firmly locked on to the arm.

IMG_4228.jpegIMG_4225.jpeg
Lasered toosmile logo. The depth of cut control on each of the 6 sides is precise. The size of flat is exactly the same.

Again - Fantastic job @a smile. You have set a high bar on what can be done. Congratulations.

Last edited:
So late to the party butwhat the heck.

Two lathes and five chucks.

SB9
Cushman 3 jaw scroll chuck.
Key 0.283
Chuck .299

Watson 4 jaw independent chuck.
Key 70mm
Chuck 72.8mm
Made the key for this chuck last weekend and coincidentally it fits the 3 jaw too which is a square hole but has grooves on the flats.

Bison 3" three jaw scroll chuck.
Key 0.231
Chuck 0.245

Colchester Dominion 15"
4 jaw no name independent chuck.
Key 0.510
Chuck 0.525

3 jaw Union Mfg. scroll chuck.
Key 0.423
Chuck 0.463

John

SB9
Key 0.283
Chuck .299

Key 70mm
Chuck 72.8mm
Made the key for this chuck last weekend and coincidentally it fits the 3 jaw too which is a square hole but has grooves on the flats.

Key 0.231
Chuck 0.245

Colchester Dominion 15"
Key 0.510
Chuck 0.525

Key 0.423
Chuck 0.463

John
Thanks John… another John.

SB9
Key 0.283
Chuck .299

Key 70mm
Chuck 72.8mm

Key 0.231
Chuck 0.245

Colchester Dominion 15"
Key 0.510
Chuck 0.525

Key 0.423
Chuck 0.463

John
Follow up @jorogi 70mm key on Watson is that 7.0mm?

Your Colchester I’m thinking it is 13mm. What size is your union mfg. ? Is it a big chuck?

Follow up @jorogi 70mm key on Watson is that 7.0mm?

Your Colchester I’m thinking it is 13mm. What size is your union mfg. ? Is it a big chuck?
Danged spell checker. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
Yes, 7mm.
SB
3 jaw, 5 inches
4 jaw, 6 inches

Colchester
3 jaw, 9 inches
4 jaw, 12 inches

John

@a smile clarified how he had time to make all these chuck index keys. He designed them and made many prototypes you can see in his post on making key racks. Once he was happy with the design he had a local company make them for him. That's pretty neat - come up with a design and then have it manufactured. I want to do that too. Turns out some parts of the manufacturing they just could not manage so in the end @a smile did a lot of work anyway.

Back