• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

CA-AB Chevy GMC One Ton Axle Shafts C$25

Alberta
Type
Metal

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Calgary

365503878_6512583385528285_4588080667071750281_n.jpg

Chipper5783

I have cut up truck axles - it was a long time ago. My recollection is that it was really hard material. I then annealed several pieces and it cut very easily. If what you are making needs the high strength it may be worth the effort to machine the hardened material ($). You can torch/abrasive chop it up, then anneal it, but If you are just looking for general purpose material to machine into useful stuff then there are easier options (industrial bolting, pump/fan shafts, ….).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have cut up truck axles - it was a long time ago. My recollection is that it was really hard material. I then annealed several pieces and it cut very easily. If what you are making needs the high strength it may be worth the effort to machine the hardened material ($). You can torch/abrasive chop it up, then anneal it, but If you are just looking for general purpose material to machine into useful stuff then there are easier options (industrial bolting, pump/fan shafts, ….).

I believe @Darren has cut up torsion bars and axle shafts then thrown them in the woodstove overnight with good results.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at an axle shaft that came my way.