Type
Metal

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Calgary

365503878_6512583385528285_4588080667071750281_n.jpg

Chipper5783

I have cut up truck axles - it was a long time ago. My recollection is that it was really hard material. I then annealed several pieces and it cut very easily. If what you are making needs the high strength it may be worth the effort to machine the hardened material ($). You can torch/abrasive chop it up, then anneal it, but If you are just looking for general purpose material to machine into useful stuff then there are easier options (industrial bolting, pump/fan shafts, ….).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have cut up truck axles - it was a long time ago. My recollection is that it was really hard material. I then annealed several pieces and it cut very easily. If what you are making needs the high strength it may be worth the effort to machine the hardened material ($). You can torch/abrasive chop it up, then anneal it, but If you are just looking for general purpose material to machine into useful stuff then there are easier options (industrial bolting, pump/fan shafts, ….).

I believe @Darren has cut up torsion bars and axle shafts then thrown them in the woodstove overnight with good results.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at an axle shaft that came my way.