Cheap wood tool chests - group builds?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I see 1/4 OSB in 4x8 is $16. Would that work ? Too heavy yet still too weak?

If the layers between each drawer could be simplified that would save a lot of material. Perhaps two L shapes around the periphery - not sure how to attach and support them. I suppose wooden rails screwed to the sides maybe? Just throwing out some ideas here...

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I see 1/4 OSB in 4x8 is $16. Would that work ? Too heavy yet still too weak?

If the layers between each drawer could be simplified that would save a lot of material. Perhaps two L shapes around the periphery - not sure how to attach and support them. I suppose wooden rails screwed to the sides maybe? Just throwing out some ideas here...
OSB lacks the strength required to form adequate finger joints and any joints would quickly fail.

Some inexpensive pine plywood would be better substitute

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
So progress is slow on the file conversion, was busy much of the day ad now I'm suffering really really slow performance with fusion 360 due to lack of sufficient memory for speedy processing.

I'm using automated program to add dogbones to all the joints on the face of a body.

My old laptop only has 4 GB of ram... usually fine for most of my cad work, but not this. I used to have spare sodimms but 8gb is cheap enough on amazon

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Probably slightly off-topic. I recently bought a 4 drawer chest from Amaz*n for about $45CDN to hold the small cutters for the CNC mill. The insert trays are 3D printed. The manufacturer makes these little cabinets for artists oil paints and small bits, and it's perfect for a tool crib. Tray depth is about 3/4" Well made from beech.
4Drawer 40.jpg

Attachments

• 4Drawer 39.jpg
    4Drawer 39.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Probably slightly off-topic. I recently bought a 4 drawer chest from Amaz*n for about $45CDN to hold the small cutters for the CNC mill. The insert trays are 3D printed. The manufacturer makes these little cabinets for artists oil paints and small bits, and it's perfect for a tool crib. Tray depth is about 3/4" Well made from beech.
View attachment 28728
got a link?

darrin1200

Darrin
I knew they had a funky name but couldnt recall it.

What is the area of your router? The original laser this was designed to print on has an envelope of just under 24" x 36" so if your cutting envelope is larger you could cut this as laid out IF you adjusted and made dog bones in the corners. Tell me what dimeter you end mill is and I shall modify the file for you
Cool. Thanks
I’m on the road right now, but I’ll check everything Monday. I don’t think it’s quite 24”.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
View attachment 28728
Hmmm I couldn't build that for $45.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Update time

I have converted every part to be compatible with a cnc router using 1/16" compression spiral bit. However, I am not going to optimize the layout for every possible size of cnc router, particularly for those under 40" x 40" because there are too many options and too little time. I have a optimized layout to suit a popular cnc router that has an envelope of 40" x 40" the chest requires 3 sheets of plywood in that size.

I'll also be optimizing the layout to print (2) cases on three sheets of 48 x 96 plywood.

Either of these files will minimize the work required to cut the pieces and therefore lower the cost if using an outside firm to cut them.

Those with personal cnc routers with smaller working envelopes will have to optimize their own nested layouts that meet their own needs from the set of converted files I have available. If you want a copy now let me know, I'll find a site to upload them to for future access.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Hmmm I couldn't build that for $45.
It is nice, but small and limited. It could work for me as a cabinet insert but I can build 8 drawers to insert into wall unit for that amount. If the storage were for art supplies inside the house that would be a winner. Tools and small parts in garage I need cheaper.

I do love beech

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
hiccups again...

Went to import the nested dxf into fusion in order to output via cam with tabs included but that hangs the program

I surmise it is a memory issue again. I have 8gb chip coming today that may resolve this issue.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure if this is of interest. I'm not on FB but was scrolling down on someone else's post

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A 600mm x 600 mm 5w laser popped up on my local FB market place... Specs say it will cut 5mm ply. Amazon has the same model for $500. Thinking of offering $300...

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
A 600mm x 600 mm 5w laser popped up on my local FB market place... Specs say it will cut 5mm ply. Amazon has the same model for $500. Thinking of offering $300...
a 5w laser really wont cut 6.2mm plywood... they're deceptive in their statements. In order to cut 5 mm ply they likely have to use sucha a slow feed rate as to make the laser cutter functionally useless. They also likely require air assist.

I had issues using my maker spaces much larger CO2 laser to cut 3/8" ply and it was only reliably good and fast at 1/4" plywood. So be cautious and ask if you can test a few cuts before you hand over any cash

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I think I'm just going to gang cut these parts by hand myself using a fingerjoint jig and a my 1/4" mortising drill bit. My labour is free and then I dont have to rush into a rash purchase of either a cnc router or laser cutter. I've been scouring ads for something good but nothing I'd want used has come up here.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
a 5w laser really wont cut 6.2mm plywood... they're deceptive in their statements. In order to cut 5 mm ply they likely have to use sucha a slow feed rate as to make the laser cutter functionally useless. They also likely require air assist.

I had issues using my maker spaces much larger CO2 laser to cut 3/8" ply and it was only reliably good and fast at 1/4" plywood. So be cautious and ask if you can test a few cuts before you hand over any cash
Yeah, I watched a bunch of reviews. It does have air assist but I'd like to be able to reliable cut .25" ply for jig and pattern making and whatnot.
Better off saving my cash for the Death Star laser :D