Cheap wood tool chests - group builds?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
So I've been planning for a long time to build a bunch of high end machinist's tool boxes...

BUT I need a lot of storage now and I dislike expensive rolling metal tool chests. I was looking at options when I found a person who created tool chests out of laser cut 1/4" baltic birch plywood. They've released the files on thingiverse.

1670470798369.png

1670470851103.png

Such a tool box is appealing because plywood is inexpensive. It can help control moisture and protect tools within, and it is easy to work with.

If you omit the hardware that protrudes from the chest exterior such chests can be made to slip into a wall unit for large volume storage. You can add cheap laser cut plywood wood boxes, inserts and dividers to the drawers or custom foam cut outs.

Downside, laser cutting in low volumes is not cost effective unless you have a laser cutter.

So would anyone want to participate in a group order/build of one or more of these? Perhaps modifications, etc?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Interesting...I wonder if the design could be modified to be cut on a CNC router.
Im sure that it could... and you have one. Handy eh?

The tenons get rounded ends and the finger joints are simply rounded. It wouldn't be ideal but certainly doable. It is a few years since I looked at any furniture router joinery I'll have to start looking again.

I can make dividers etc using router table, and could likely make much of these with router but it is easier to have 10 or more kits made at a laser cutter place

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I have used a low volume laser cutter in Brampton, but the last time I requested cnc routing he let me down, and I know there are other options. I'll start checking prices to cut one basic chest and get back with this as a guide.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'll download the files and have a look. I recall a vid by AvidCNC where they did finger joints.
Gang-cutting all those pieces on a tablesaw box joint jig is no small feat. Can be done, but would be ten times easier on a CNC something or other.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I'll download the files and have a look. I recall a vid by AvidCNC where they did finger joints.
Gang-cutting all those pieces on a tablesaw box joint jig is no small feat. Can be done, but would be ten times easier on a CNC something or other.
finger joints require the corners of the joints drilled out to allow corner clearances... If you optimize tool size it is easy once you know how to do it

Picture17-2.png

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You'll want to price out 1/4" Baltic Birch... best be sitting down. Out here a 4x8 sheet of 6 mm is $130

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Some of the 5mm underlayment plywood might be ok for this.

48x48 cedar/poplar is $11.41 here
yeah luan plywood could be used for the interior layer, and cabinet grade for the exterior layer. Cabinet grade is $45 to 65 a sheet depending on the wood 5,2mm thick. Paint grade it about $40. Walnut is $75 but I want it

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I looked at the dxf files.

I can import them into fusion as sketches and then modify them to make them cuttable with cnc router by extending each sharp corner outwards at 45 degree angle with the smallest end mill typically used to cut out 1/4" plywood

1670475251812.png

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Not sure if my cnc router is big enough, but I would love to try these files. I could use a couple
@TorontoBuilder Doing box joints requires what they call “dog bones”. The cutter needs to only cut the radius of itself. I think my vectric software has a way to add these, based on your cutter size.
I knew they had a funky name but couldnt recall it.

What is the area of your router? The original laser this was designed to print on has an envelope of just under 24" x 36" so if your cutting envelope is larger you could cut this as laid out IF you adjusted and made dog bones in the corners. Tell me what dimeter you end mill is and I shall modify the file for you

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
A little while back I stumbled on a website that will produce dxf files of whatever laser cut box size you want, with finger joints and all. I'll see if I can find it again.
I have it bookmarked, I used it often in the past. There is another site deepnest.io for optimizing files for output to cnc router, laser or plasma cutters too that is handy..

Deepnest open source nesting software.. Linux, windows and mac

Pick your poison.

DXF and SVG output options

PDF, DXF, and SVG output options

PDFD output only and therefore not compatible with deepnest

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I created a pattern to make an insert to fit the small 2" deep drawers of the Husky Standard-Duty 27 inch W 3-Drawer Intermediate Tool Storage Chest.

If only I'd gotten to my planned cnc router project already... but if this project goes ahead I'm adding these and others as options. Bigger sections for the 3" deep drawer for instance

1670541803966.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I suspect the materials and hardware will bring up the cost. Do it because you want one. Cool idea.a couple years ago I bought a husky tool chest bench. It was $399 now Home Depot wants $599!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I suspect the materials and hardware will bring up the cost. Do it because you want one. Cool idea.a couple years ago I bought a husky tool chest bench. It was $399 now Home Depot wants $599!

IF people have a cnc router this is a cheap way to go, but your choices on hardware can make a huge difference... I'm going cheap and functional. Wood knobs and stamped steel corners.

two sheets of 1/4" plywood are about 100 bucks and can yield one chest with inserts. The same if they have access to maker space with laser cutter.

The files for laser cut version unmodified version are available for free now. The files for cnc router version of standard chest will be available for free soon. If people wanted a larger modified version one can be available free soon as well for you to find your best source to have them cut.

if you need the parts made the price will vary greatly depending on your local service providers, just like if you need anything made nowadays. That's why I thought it may be beneficial to have as many kits as possible made using large commercial cnc machine that can cut 5x10' sheets and knock out a ton of kits in a couple of hours of cutting time with a single set up fee

This idea has just lit a fire under my butt to get me to put a cnc router at the top of my todo list

I've done the calculations for metal tool boxes and know the cost is both extreme, and I'm very limited on the stacking height which does not work for me. The metal chests also dont provide any inherent corrosion protection. I'll be making two 8' tall cabinets to hold a bunch of these chests in both our shop and one for my own basement to finally get a handle on my small tools and parts storage issues.