• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Cheap welding supplies

Kris Jensen

I find KMS expensive for welding supplies except welding gas. For TIG welding supplies it was cheaper to buy from the US, with shipping - it was over 50% discount vs. KMS price.

As for negotiating price at KMS / Busy Bee - they have too much red tape around it. Just walk and get it for less online. Amazon.ca does sell welders, usually at reasonable cost.
I agree if you can wait it's way cheaper online

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I just called Oxypro, the one on 42 by blackfoot, for a 110cu ft refill of Argon. "The regular price is $169 but today I can do $129". OMG. He really wanted to know my phone number to look me up in his computer - and then said $129. I guess they don't like me. So I went to KMS and spent $66. I still think $66 is high - a welder down the street told me he thinks $35 should be the price for a fill. What has anyone else paid recently?

Above guys mention online for welding supplies. I bought some stuff from ali express - welding tips, plasma tips - anybody have a good online source to suggest.

Toyguru

I find KMS expensive for welding supplies except welding gas. For TIG welding supplies it was cheaper to buy from the US, with shipping - it was over 50% discount vs. KMS price

Where specifically in the US do you source your stuff? I need some filler rod, specifically 1100 aluminum rod that isn't available at kms

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I simply went to eBay and got like 20lbs or 40lbs something like that.

I also got way too much at auction here in Calgary - I have lifetime supply of stick - both for regular steel / alloy steel / stainless.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
KMS is the place I usually go now to refill my welding gas, but now I've been thinking about purchasing a nitrogen bottle for plasma cutting aluminum. What is the average price of compressed nitrogen here in Canada? Where in calgary could I purchase a compressed nitrogen cylinder and have it refilled?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Kms seems to be so far the lowest price place for gas but I’m not sure I’d say it’s reasonable. It’s less than else where. Any of the gas suppliers can provide nitrogen and I thought kms has nitrogen too. Did you check?

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Pure Argon is not recommended for plasma cutting, because it isn't aggressive enough, a mix of argon and hydrogen is said to work the best for thick aluminum and stainless because it's the hotest plasma gas. I'm thinking nitrogen would be the best option for me, because it allows the consumables to last long, and the price im thinking would be much lower.