• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Cheap big lathe couldn't say no :(

justin1

Super User
Was buying some steel a week or so ago and my steel dealer had this big old lathe sitting around collecting rust and asked them what they were doing with it and they said scrap was too loose for them so I asked how much they said 500$ and that's how I ended up with 1000$ lathe after it got dropped off on my front door step.

After some careful pushing with the backhoe and some round stock now it sits in it's new home just have to spray some wd-40 on it and play around with swapping a 7.5hp motor into it and the 10 hp motor onto the rotary phase converter and should be able to make some chips.

Should be interesting new 20x120 toy or maybe I just have 9000lbs of cast iron scrap to cut into useable pieces for the mill or my smaller 14x40 lathe :/

It's a c10mb lathe from 1977 pretty much all I know about it and it's Russian I believe it's made by lion

Attachments

• IMG_20230407_130822885.jpg
    IMG_20230407_130822885.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20230407_130834317.jpg
    IMG_20230407_130834317.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20230407_170802645.jpg
    IMG_20230407_170802645.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 85
Was buying some steel a week or so ago and my steel dealer had this big old lathe sitting around collecting rust and asked them what they were doing with it and they said scrap was too loose for them so I asked how much they said 500$ and that's how I ended up with 1000$ lathe after it got dropped off on my front door step.

After some careful pushing with the backhoe and some round stock now it sits in it's new home just have to spray some wd-40 on it and play around with swapping a 7.5hp motor into it and the 10 hp motor onto the rotary phase converter and should be able to make some chips.

Should be interesting new 20x120 toy or maybe I just have 9000lbs of cast iron scrap to cut into useable pieces for the mill or my smaller 14x40 lathe :/

It's a c10mb lathe from 1977 pretty much all I know about it and it's Russian I believe it's made by lion
wow you got that moved for only 500 buck. Impressive

I bet you can find plenty of use for that lathe

Do you have the tailstock?
Ye came with steady rest and tail stock and live center to boot aswell

wow you got that moved for only 500 buck. Impressive

I bet you can find plenty of use for that lathe
That's the hope lol I kept saying that to my self what can't I do with a lathe this big. and ye had a scrap guy with hiab grab it for me went with a 7k trailer to go grab it but was too heavy only info I could find on it weight was wrong I guess the weight I found was for 20x80

Man, that's a large one. But that was no deal, it was a steal.

Well, you can go around now and say Mines bigger'n yours.....and be right.

Man, that's a large one. But that was no deal, it was a steal.

Well, you can go around now and say Mines bigger'n yours.....and be right.
I basically break even if I were to scrap it and keep a few bits off it so figured I wouldn't lose anything but a bit of time and ye makes me want to build the shop even more wish they had 3 phase power in my area would be super convenient. And ye it's bigger then mosts I think I think 20x80 would be nice size though.

I'm tempted to cut 4 feet of worn bed out of it then turcite the carriage but that would have to wait a bit till I got shop built and make sure it's not gonna grenade on me. But it was being used till it was pulled out of machine shop I bought it from so probly fine head wise but haven't cracked it open yet

@YotaBota

Haha ye hopefully I can get more use out of it then a show piece cuz it's not very pretty from even 20' away lol

If it does a job no one else in the area can do, it will look good real close up. A shop near where I was living bought 2 big old bruzers with walk through gaps, they had the equipment to move them and price was very cheap. I was told first job on them made way more then cost and moving cost. They were outside under tarps, not enough room in the shop.

If it does a job no one else in the area can do, it will look good real close up. A shop near where I was living bought 2 big old bruzers with walk through gaps, they had the equipment to move them and price was very cheap. I was told first job on them made way more then cost and moving cost. They were outside under tarps, not enough room in the shop.
Fair the shop I bought it from had 4 other lathes the same size the problem with the Okanagan seems to be finding machinists to run the machines as they stopped offering tool and die makers course few years ago and lots of the guys are retiring or any shops that do production work gone to cnc years ago. Manual machining is more for maintenance these days or one offs. That and "cnc operator" can't do what a tool and die maker could.

I figured if I can do a few jobs with it pay for it's self pretty quick I'll probly just use it for shaft straighting or fixing threads on end of hydraulic cylinders if I can find manual for it as the threading info plates are missing. odd stuff like that probly end up doing weld build up with it too don't have to worry as much about messing lathe up if it's already sloppy

May just end up used to twist bar stock for railing Pickett's lol

Wow. Too bad you weren't in oil country. Could turn just about anything in that. And at those sizes, tolerances are pretty liberal.

Looks like you'll have a blast with it. Congratulations!

Damm, I wanted to put picture of my lathe but she is only like 4500 lbs ;(

Just dropped here into the garage after few hours of playing with trailer, bridge crane and a broken chain lift.

Nice pickup. At that price, it would only take a few repair jobs to pay for itself.

I had an oportunity to get an older, and slighly smaller lathe years ago for free, but it would have been an all day job to dig it out. I was thinking about sticking it in the barn, and powering it via jack shaft run off the tractor PTO through the wall lol. It was just too far gone to make it worth the effort though.

Damm, I wanted to put picture of my lathe but she is only like 4500 lbs ;(

Just dropped here into the garage after few hours of playing with trailer, bridge crane and a broken chain lift.
I think people will still enjoy some unsolicited lathe pics, and it's not about the size it's how you use it

I was gonna test out the 2T rating on Canadiantire engine hoist and use my gantry crane to pick up head side at first but figured it wouldnt want to roll very nice so went with the long method of rolling it around with round stock probly was the better choice lol
Nice pickup. At that price, it would only take a few repair jobs to pay for itself.

I had an oportunity to get an older, and slighly smaller lathe years ago for free, but it would have been an all day job to dig it out. I was thinking about sticking it in the barn, and powering it via jack shaft run off the tractor PTO through the wall lol. It was just too far gone to make it worth the effort though.

Ye Its hard to pass up a good deal even if you not fully set up for it. Couple years ago could of got a similar lathe for free from one of the mills I was working at the time but my garage at the time was only 12x18 so wouldn't fit too good but would of be nice to get it as it was in better shape

It's pretty impressive the range on this thing 12.5 rpm to 2000 and has 3 knobs for threading but I'm missing the thread charts for it

Wear in just the bed is around .006 in the first 18 inches then drops to next to nothing after 3 feet. Mind you not measuring in the most correct way but from the unworn spot to the worn spot .006 so I imagine the carriage wear is a lot worse considering it's spose to have hardened ways.

That and I see they added some shims to the carriage gibs to get some more life out of it and the shim is pretty thick lol

But the good thing is it has a taper attachment;)

Attachments

• 16809737064422007381809128880473.jpg
    16809737064422007381809128880473.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 16809745163906011511782951469742.jpg
    16809745163906011511782951469742.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 16809745370136595820175118585997.jpg
    16809745370136595820175118585997.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 16809746865267149660073128613169.jpg
    16809746865267149660073128613169.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 15
2 lathes large lathes and one garage. Not much space left - PA gantry crane for loading and unloading.

I used 1.5t winch to move them up and down. At first I tried my 3t winch but believe it or not the thing would only raise stuff - it got stuck when trying to lower! Have to try to fix it.

Together they are still less than 9000 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_163121[1].jpg
    IMG_20230408_163121[1].jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 34
2 lathes large lathes and one garage. Not much space left

Ye I feel you there but they look like nice machines hopefully they came the gap bed, tho guess you could cut a piece out of one to make a replacement :)

You gonna cnc one of them? Or just need bit bigger swing

Back