• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Changes to Fusion 360 for personal use

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hi Craig, reading your comments on Fusion 360 for hobbyists I view it as a success story, congratulations. So I took the liberty of downloading the program to my older PC, unsure how long it will take me to put something together however that's where it stands for now. Keep up the good work!

Bill, If this is your first kick at the CAD/CAM can, this package is by far the easiest to use that I have tried so far, so go for it and be patient. None of them are what I would call intuitively obvious.

Craig

Attachments

• CADDOC.pdf
    170.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I was trying to print a 1:1 drawing to scale to use as a template. Things weren’t fitting as they should. I eventually found the drawing was shrunk by about 5%. It appears to be a common issue with Fusion as I found a fair amount of discussion and a solution on the internet. The work around involved saving as a PDF and then printing from there. I don’t recall if it was printing to a PDF or exporting to a PDF file. This was a few months ago( within the last year). I’ll try a print today and see if the issue is still there.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I was trying to print a 1:1 drawing to scale to use as a template. Things weren’t fitting as they should. I eventually found the drawing was shrunk by about 5%. It appears to be a common issue with Fusion as I found a fair amount of discussion and a solution on the internet. The work around involved saving as a PDF and then printing from there. I don’t recall if it was printing to a PDF or exporting to a PDF file. This was a few months ago( within the last year). I’ll try a print today and see if the issue is still there.

Hi Johnwa, keep us posted on this.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I just printed a test drawing. Printing straight from Fusion. 9.59” came out at ~9 5/16”(~9.3”).

Printing to a PDF and then printing is bang on using a tape measure. So the work around still works.
Now how do I convert a drawing to dxf?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks Gerrit, good advise need all the help one can get.

Bill, we want to hear about your experience being a totally new to this. I'm on my 3rd or 4th attempt to accept the concept so have had some exposure.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hi Craig, have downloaded Fusion 360 to my older PC also my newer one. Also downloaded 3 videos by Lar's watching some of the first one yesterday. Most days I struggle to clear the (dizzy fog I'm in due to my medications) so getting my head around CAD concepts might be a slow process. Actually I haven't tried to draw a dot let alone a straight line although that will come. Feel up to the challenge simply need to jump in at the shallow end if that's possible without my being overwhelmed then becoming turned off. Been there before a few years back with another CAD program when I was healthy. Bottom line, stay tuned shall keep you posted.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
So Fusion yah it's going to cost me (but probably not you) some money every year but I view that as just a cost of running my shop. I probably spend the fusion license cost on heat and electricity every year too. I get really good value out of it and I use it all the time so I think it's right that I pay something for it's use.

I bought the license. $400ish. anybody else?

I was just looking at some features that are interesting - probing and surface inspection - for part QA/verification. That requires the manufacturing extension and it is $200 per month. gah! So if you want those features then we're up there in price like Solid works or other higher end programs. Whew. So rotaries, 4 or 5 axis machining, probing, 3D metal printing, ... all those features. Here is the list.

1601866606025.png

1601866653760.png :mad:

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’m thinking about it mainly for the 4th axis we haven’t used yet. Still $400.00 isn’t that bad when you consider how fast you can blow it on other junk.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well after giving it some thought I have decided to go ahead and get the Fusion subscription. I received a Email saying the offer ends Oct 16th so it would be better to pick it up now than full price later. On the other hand I’ve been watching 170 vids (So far) on Bobcad Features with another 60 to go! :rolleyes:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
The part that still makes me laugh is "whats not included "
* rapid moves
* automatic tool changes
:rolleyes:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
@Tom O I see you bought the paid license. This is probably the right move for anyone who owns a CNC machine such as yourself and plans on continuing using Fusion 360

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well it should come in handy there is enough people out there with even the basic that could design what they need made all they would need is the drawing and CAD it yourself.
They just dumped it down to 3d printing. I wonder if 3d printing has rapid moves?

gerritv

Gerrit
I use Simplify3D for slicing, not sure why I would have used Fusion360 for that. Cura is the susual favourite as well for most.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I use fusion for design and save it to an stl. I use either slic3r or Cura to slice it to gcode. I can’t say that I’ve ever noticed any rapid moves from either one.