Cast iron weights from elevator shaft - AND then vehicle lug nut issues

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Did anybody buy any weights? I was advised to have low expectations on the metal quality so I decided against. But it would good to know.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
That would be great! wait - @chickenlights is here Thursday, so I should get the weights right away. Hmmmmm

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Dabbler, @phaxtris Do either of you have the means to cut one of those weights up? If they truly are cast iron I would be interested in splitting one with you.

Craig

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Craig, they are likely foundry ends, which will include carbides and slag. this is very common for elevator weights, window washer weights, etc. I tried to cut up some elevator weights when I was a young man and found it to be steel with a lot of hardened inclusions in it.

I wrecked several bandsaw blades before I quit.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
@Dabbler, @phaxtris Do either of you have the means to cut one of those weights up? If they truly are cast iron I would be interested in splitting one with you.

Craig

I'm not really in need of one, unless is very cheap, but I don't mind helping grab them

If it's cast iron, zip cut and a sledgehammer is the only way I have to cut something that thick, cast steel I could torch one in half

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I finally got a reply this morning, he asked me what I wanted to pay - even though I referenced the telephone conversation he had with Darren. So I replied and am waiting for his response.

Last edited: