• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Cast Iron stock

Brian H

Super User
Brian H - did you get a source for the stock you're looking for?

Yes, I did. I would still like to source a supplier for CI, however, I have been scrounging brake rotors with the idea I would try my hand at melting some in the small foundry I built and casting some bits. I have been bitten by the small steam engine bug but cant afford a DYI kit.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yes, I did. I would still like to source a supplier for CI, however, I have been scrounging brake rotors with the idea I would try my hand at melting some in the small foundry I built and casting some bits. I have been bitten by the small steam engine bug but cant afford a DYI kit.

I've been bit by that bug too but keep envisioning it morphing into a boiler and all kinds of other things I can't aford LOL.

http://www.steamboating.net/page5.html

https://www.reliablesteam.com/new/boats.php?iid=BT01

And try as I might, I could not convince my cousin he needed one for this boat he's building..:p

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/rowboats/chester-yawl-row-boat-kit.html

Looks like the perfect boat for a small steam engine don't you think....

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
It may have already been mentioned, but the biggest cast iron supplier in Canada is Terra Nova Iron in Mississauga. Frustratingly they not anywhere near as cheap as the US online vendors, but its where there is every shape and size available in Canada.

It's one of best materials to work imo, cuts beautifully, makes a good bearing surface, doesn't move about, scrapes beatifully, damps vibration etc

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, There are quite a few youtubers that have done videos with these kits. They are nice kits, but the price tag to purchase and ship is more than I want/can spend right now.
Ya you summed it up well, they are nice but holy cow they are expensive. Another member had some for sale here awhile ago and although they were still about retail price, I bought myself one as a treat and as a project I can pull off the shelf someday when I really need something satisfying and a bit challenging.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Yes, There are quite a few youtubers that have done videos with these kits. They are nice kits, but the price tag to purchase and ship is more than I want/can spend right now.

I don't know your machining level but if not advanced, maybe consider making a few barstock engines? They're a lot simpler to make than from castings, only cost the price of a new hunk of material when you screw up and you'll learn a lot.

Meanwhile, watch the classifieds, ebay, ME forums & auctions....and join a model engineering club of there is one around. Serendipity and time will bring you casting kits at a much low cost :)

There is also a chap I think in Elmira who sells casting kits for a few engine. Used to be Ted McJannet in woodstock but he sold it; I'd bought from Ted, and made, the Perkins hit and miss and the Rider Ericsson hot air engine. Both kits were excellent if either of those has appeal

Last edited:

Brian H

Super User
I don't know your machining level but if not advanced, maybe consider making a few barstock engines? They're a lot simpler to make than from castings, only cost the price of a new hunk of material when you screw up and you'll learn a lot.

Meanwhile, watch the classifieds, ebay, ME forums & auctions....and join a model engineering club of there is one around. Serendipity and time will bring you casting kits at a much low cost :)

There is also a chap I think in Elmira who sells casting kits for a few engine. Used to be Ted McJannet but sold it; I'd bought from Ted and made the Perkins hit and miss the the Rider Ericsson hot air engine. Both kits were excellent if either of those has appeal

I certainly wouldn't call myself a machinist, I'm a carpenter that pisses about with metal...LOL. I have made two wig-wag engines so far, one single and one two cylinder. I have had to cast most of the rough material to make them since there is just no way to find any stock that is available/affordable in my area. (for example, 1/2" brass rod is about $4 per INCH. That's the largest I could find locally).

As a result, I built myself a small foundry and have been scrounging brass, aluminum and copper scraps and doing my best to make what I need. I have many things to learn with casting but have had a few successful pours.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
if you are able to do your own castings, that opens a world of opportunity. What Stuart makes out of CI you could from AL and put a cast iron liner in it. After painting you wouldn't know the difference. I also noticed that Terra Nova has a branch in Edmonton if you are out west - for the CI. Its a great place to show up between Christmas and New Years with a couple of boxes of donuts. If you've got good shocks in the car, show with a donuts and a $100 bill and you might be able to go all out rummaging the scrape bin for off cuts.

The other thing to fast track casting is 3D printed patterns. I've had a lot of success 3D printing and can the potential it holds for casting. That would really carve a lot of time out of the casting process

Last edited:

Brian H

Super User
if you are able to do your own castings, that opens a world of opportunity. What Stuart makes out of CI you could from AL and put a cast iron liner in it. After painting you wouldn't know the difference. I also noticed that Terra Nova has a branch in Edmonton if you are out west - for the CI. Its a great place to show up between Christmas and New Years with a couple of boxes of donuts. If you've got good shocks in the car, show with a donuts and a $100 bill and you might be able to go all out rummaging the scrape bin for off cuts.

The other thing to fast track casting is 3D printed patterns. I've had a lot of success 3D printing and can the potential it holds for casting. That would really carve a lot of time out of the casting process

I have been dabbling with 3D printing patterns and casting a bit. And yes, the possibilities are endless. Unfortunately I can't do any foundry work and casting inside my shop since it has a wooden floor and weather conditions here haven't been good for doing it out side when I've had time. I have also had some learning to do with casting sand (I may have to bite the bullet and buy some petrobond or something like it). It is quite alot of fun tho

George

I got this the other day off a guy i buy from, it only cost me $30 it was 62” long and I could barely lift it, Good score, I plan to make a 2” square collet block for my Mill,if you guys are still looking? All it will cost is the shipping from Manitoba, i just cut a piece 90mm i know it’s long but the end needs a bit of clean up to attempt making a collet block for my mill, 90mm 3.5” long it’s 2.25 “ square well the corners are rounded over, and it weighs 2.2kgs or 4 lbs 15 oz , maybe check the shipping cost if your still looking, I will accept etransfer

Attachments

• 92684C6A-0D6F-4297-A93C-33846D7D40CA.jpeg
    92684C6A-0D6F-4297-A93C-33846D7D40CA.jpeg
    618.8 KB · Views: 23
  • EB1E028B-1F66-4B94-A0A4-B6B1847C8A58.jpeg
    EB1E028B-1F66-4B94-A0A4-B6B1847C8A58.jpeg
    595.1 KB · Views: 22