• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Cast Iron stock

francist

Super User
Barbell weights are another favourite target although they’re hit or miss for quality. Some of them are nice to turn, others are super hard. I made a pair of jumbo-sized jacks out of a pair of cast iron barbell collars though (the things that hold the weights onto the bar). I was pleasantly surprised they turned and threaded like a dream, very even and consistent once I got past the rind. They’re the big red ones at the back of this shot...

B27907DC-3C10-4490-94FD-151BC3BA5AD0.jpeg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Barbell weights? Well... that's one I would never have thought of. Thrift store and pawn shop stuff.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Cast iron has a lot of desirable properties for lots of applications. There are a few types of cast iron that have been tailored to fit applications but most maintain similar properties.

Cast iron is typically higher in carbon content and thus has additional lubricity - you will see lots of machines with steel shafts in cast bearings, piston rings, cylinder liners (as noted engine blocks) etc.

Gears are made from Cast Iron for the lubricity but cast iron is also hard and durable, runs quieter and absorbs shock loading

Cast iron is easy to mold and"cast" compared to other alloys - and is pretty much the first iron off the line during the production process.

Cast iron is hard so it makes for durable surfaces - table tops, liners etc

You have like - Grey cast iron - most used and has great compressive strength

White cast iron - hard surface but kinda crap for other applications

Sperodial grafitic - used for piston ring and such where you want a bed-able cast iron that has ductility and good elasticity

Casings and stuff will be mostly cast iron on the old tools - mass is essential to absorb vibration. you will notice that most cast iron parts are large to absorb the forces that would destroy them and add mass to the machine - like a tail stock could be a steel tube on a tripod but the cast iron adds solidity, absorbs vibration and lubricates the spindle. Also easier to form and machine to spec.

Cast iron = cheaper as well hence its use for gym weights (that would be the white type) and other applications like cannon balls (LOL) things like pipe wrench handles etc

Lots of applications..............................................

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Lubricity is what I'm after. I want to re-make the shoe for my lathe taper attachment. Had no idea how hard this would be to source....

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
A manhole cover isn't thick enough:( I just checked the one behind the house LOL.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
There was a place off of Barlow trail down the road near just north of Transcontinental where I bought some 4” round I’ll have to go back there and see if they are still going.

Any idea where that was? Was it a metal supplier? 4" round would work for me. North of Transcontinental what?

Craig

Tom O

Ultra Member
At one time it was a foundry but apparently one of the workers blew up the furnace or something like that I found it in the phone book and when I went there we walked around outside because it was strewn around aging. Does anyone know where to get some ferro silicon in Calgary we could give some rotors a go! I thought I saw some in dads chemicals a 8 years ago I’ll take a look.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’ll have to drive back over or try to phone there I just Googled and found this.....
“ Terminal City Iron Works “ :rolleyes:

1C10B854-6384-4CCC-8725-EA8BD2EB208D.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Does anyone know where to get some ferro silicon in Calgary we could give some rotors a go!

What's this about???

I found some 8" and 10" round stock but the owner doesn't have a means of cutting it down and apparently the pieces are not something you can just pickup and walk away with.

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Grind around it then Sledge off a chunk? Most saws we have are 7 x12 I wonder what a power saw can handle or grind a inch gap then cut

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is that what the hex stock is?
There might be some hex bar made out of cast, but I wouldn't think that is common. There are various hardness of steel grades it is made out of....i have some that is soft and machines beautifully and some other stuff not so much. I dont know the specifications of mine but none of it is cast iron.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There might be some hex bar made out of cast, but I wouldn't think that is common. There are various hardness of steel grades it is made out of....i have some that is soft and machines beautifully and some other stuff not so much. I dont know the specifications of mine but none of it is cast iron.
Me bad. I didn't read very well. I now see that the question was not referring to cast iron but rather 12L14! Slap to my side of the head.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Craig- let me check my stock - you need like a 50 mm wide by 75 mm long by 25 mm high?

I'm looking to make a shoe for my lathe taper attachment. The same arrangement as yours. The one I made from mild steel is 2" wide, 1-1/8" high and 3-1/4" long.

Craig