• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Cast Iron stock

Brian H

Super User
I have a small project I would like to use cast iron for. I don't have a clue where to start looking for material. Any suggestions?
I prefer to find some in SK or AB
This being said,if any other SK members on the forum could enlighten me as to where you get small amount of material I would appreciate it.
I have only found Steelmet in Saskatoon and I will go broke very quickly buying there.
Thanks in advance

Brian H

Super User
Why cast iron?

I want to make a QCTP with slightly larger dimensions than the one I currently have which is aluminum. I wanted to try cast since it machines so much easier than steel. I watched a youtube video on Ades Workshop and it worked out very well for him.

Brian H

Super User
What sort of dimensions?

I need a solid block 2" x 2" x 1.5" for a QCTP. I am replicating the aluminum one I currently have only slightly larger. I'm hoping to gain some more rigidity yet still be able to use my tool holders.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'll be watching too. Usually when this topic comes up its the sound of crickets, or someone graciously opens up a personal, limited stash. USA guys have lots of options that just don't have equivalencies in Kanuckistan. The material isn't horribly expensive, its just a $$ bugger to ship. Speedy only goes UPS which is brutal. On a weight basis inside USA, UPS is not abnormal, but into Canada the customs dinger fees will eat your lunch. If you can arrange a drop in a USA border facility that will bring the price down but it has to align to a trip or whatever.
http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8386-cast-iron.aspx

Brian H

Super User
I'll be watching too. Usually when this topic comes up its the sound of crickets, or someone graciously opens up a personal, limited stash. USA guys have lots of options that just don't have equivalencies in Kanuckistan. The material isn't horribly expensive, its just a $$ bugger to ship. Speedy only goes UPS which is brutal. On a weight basis inside USA, UPS is not abnormal, but into Canada the customs dinger fees will eat your lunch. If you can arrange a drop in a USA border facility that will bring the price down but it has to align to a trip or whatever.
http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8386-cast-iron.aspx

Shipping is really the biggest cost when you live just out side of Upper Rubber Boot SK. I really was surprised how little Saskatoon had to offer. There are only a couple metal suppliers here. If you're not buying a semi load they're not interested and Steel met will sell to you , but you pay a very premium price with a VERY limited selection of sizes.
I got a couple quotes out of Metal Supermarket in Edmonton and the freight was 4 times the cost of the materials....

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've checked a few border service places, they are all quite competitive. They hold your goodies for X$ per shipment, usually quite reasonable. But now you have to do the math of tank(s) of gas to retrieve it. Of course the usual thing - makes more sense if its more stuff, but more stuff costs more money. It lends itself to a group buy between buddies a couple times a year. Or if the planets align & you are visiting States & can order the week prior so its sitting there.

I use DYK for certain issues like this but they are only in Calgary & Edmonton thus far AFAIK.
https://www2.dykpost.com/canada-bound-shipping/

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I can cut you a slice of cast iron - through it will be round & you can machine it square.

Hey Tom,

I'm looking for a chunk that would land me a piece 2" X 1-1/8" X 3 1/4". Can you help me?

Anyone else in the Calgary area have a chunk that size to part with?

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
There was a place off of Barlow trail down the road near just north of Transcontinental where I bought some 4” round I’ll have to go back there and see if they are still going.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
There was a place off of Barlow trail down the road near just north of Transcontinental where I bought some 4” round I’ll have to go back there and see if they are still going.

What in the world would cast iron round stock be used for?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
gears..........ya baby!

Gears? Why gears?

Been trying to think of what a wreckers might have for CA and all's I can come up with is engine blocks and intake manifolds. Both are a little too large for my bandsaw and probably more void space than solid metal. Anything else come to mind?

..............cast iron frying pans, cast iron pots, auto brake rotors, brake calipers,probably all kinds of cast iron parts lying around any railroad repair shop.

francist

Super User
Fittings, pumps, heavy pipe, lots of oil and gas products. And that’s the trouble, and beauty, of cast — it doesn’t typically show up in big solid lumps because it’s cast into precise shapes. Unless you happen to need one of those already cast shapes, the odds of finding a lump big enough to whittle your part out of is pretty slim.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
..............cast iron frying pans, cast iron pots, auto brake rotors, brake calipers,probably all kinds of cast iron parts lying around any railroad repair shop.

Ya, I'm sure a railway repair shop has all sorts of large solid CA stuff laying around LOL.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Manhole cover? Lol I bought it for cylinder head and pistons for my Dads steam engine.
Brent that is in the stars I should get the imperial involute gear cutters within the week from Amazon/China I'll finally be able to use the 4th axis on the Haas once I figure it out in CAD luckily though my Son said we should get Bobcad which has the program for gears / sprockets.