Carbide Insert Facing End Mills - Which one to get ????

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
OK. Thanks for the input. The mill is the x3 but still a small mill. I was being too aggressive.

A fly cutter is cutting on front and back so I have been thinking tramming is necessary. Started that project yesterday...a tramming tool...It seems everytime I turn around, need something else! Been on Amazon lots! All good. Having fun...and building the inventory of tools.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I also found the small machines slow. I bought bigger equipment. Getting a better feel for what works and does not is half the battle. Work holding is also very important. A good vise helps a lot.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I just run 3 insert 2" face mill at 0.04 like 50 times at speed of around 720 rpm and 3 ipm feed or so. Works great does not vibrate too much would need to run faster or with slower ipm to get better finish. Part and facemill were warm to the touch but not hot - about 30C. After 12 passes.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
To get Tom Lipton's take on this here's his video on the subject. Note his mill is a 5HP Bridgeport clone and look at the diameters he has chosen to use...

-- the Face mill portion starts at 48:25

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
His machine is R8 - his sizing seems to be in line with most people for hard stuff. The idea is that you can use bigger facemill but you cannot hog with it. I get inserts (square ones) of either aliexpress made in Japan or from eBay made in US - I think its more like $20 a box not an insert. For $20 you get nice ceramic inserts that are meant to deal with ultra hard stuff. I have some of these but zero actual need so far to use them - maybe I do some hardened stuff machining without killing regular inserts.