• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Carbide Endmills on Kijiji

kstrauss

I somewhat disagree regarding the value of coated endmills when machining aluminum. I've found that a ZrCN coating significantly reduces the tendency for chip welding. That said, I do mostly use uncoated ones.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
He contacted me tonight but I don't have the patience to deal with it. I will look into it more tomorrow. Thanks for the insight and I will try to understand your points further @little ol' e. Thanks again.

If you feel the value is worth the effort you can try them and see what you think.
The endmill I posted @ $45. has a good edge and will last for months and months in a hobby environment. If you don't have any ball nose and would like some, they will get you started. Just take small DOC's with them. I wouldn't use them in tool steels thou..

@ $45. They can handle interrupted cutting along with double cutting chips ( to an extent ) in the event of, and work very well in all steels.. Aluminum as well, but the coating and flute geometry isn't optimum in aluminum and you'll need to use coolant on them.
Regrinding and recoating isn't worth the effort either these days. Just buy another when its nearing the end of its life.

Even at the end of its life, you could plunge broken taps out with it after you grind a .125 rad on the dull corners. Then scrap em' @ I think its around $9/lb at the moment?

For the guys that just take minimal with endmills, you could take a few thou all day long and still have a decent edge for $45.
The guys that are milling, the $45. endmill is the way to go over time.
You will save much more in the long run.
Hope this helps guys.

Last edited:
I somewhat disagree regarding the value of coated endmills when machining aluminum. I've found that a ZrCN coating significantly reduces the tendency for chip welding. That said, I do mostly use uncoated ones.
These are ok as there is no Aluminium Oxide in the mix. It really comes down to simple chemistry of the materials.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy

Rohit 4 Flute C-122 Solid Carbide Micro Grain Square End Mills 3/16" Dia x 5/8" Flute Length, 3/16" Shank Dia Meter x 2" Overall Length.38 Degree Helix Angle (3/16")​

I would recommend these if the price point works. I pulled this off amazon... Maybe the image will give you and idea what a micro grain carbide endmill looks like on the amazon site.
I noticed these don't have a corner radius on them, I like a .015- .030cr myself. They will last longer with a cr as many know.
Also, a Weldon shank is better ( although a little more cost) for ruffing with these. I wouldn't put them in a collet unless you have quality collets, taking lighter cuts...
Have to get on with my day here, hope this helps!
endmill micro grain.jpg

Last edited:

Rohit 4 Flute C-122 Solid Carbide Micro Grain Square End Mills 3/16" Dia x 5/8" Flute Length, 3/16" Shank Dia Meter x 2" Overall Length.38 Degree Helix Angle (3/16")​

I would recommend these if the price point works. I pulled this off amazon... Maybe the image will give you and idea what a micro grain carbide endmill looks like on the amazon site.
I noticed these don't have a corner radius on them, I like a .015- .030cr myself. They will last longer with a cr as many know.
Also, a Weldon shank is better ( although a little more cost) for ruffing with these. I wouldn't put them in a collet unless you have quality collets, taking lighter cuts...
Have to get on with my day here, hope this helps!
View attachment 31436
I sent you a Pm last week did you get it?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I sort of tested Niagra EM carbide in steel vs. Chinese coated EM in same steel on my BP-2 clone and performance of US stuff and of Chinese stuff for same coating type is within about 20%. So I stick with China as price per metal removed is hand over heals better than anything coming out of US. Precision is also similar.

Note this is for a basic coated EM, with basic cheap coating and standard size optimized for mass production - nothing "special". If you want special Chinese stuff will go way, way up in price as well - if you want to say mill hardened metal you are looking for like 5x price increase for your 12mm EM.

I.e. for basic milling of moderate steels not at some crazy speeds with smaller EM sizes in standard tolerances etc. etc. China rules supreme over US in any production environment. There is simply no chance for US or Europe to compete here. Any CNC shop would immediately see savings if they switched from US produced EMs to these Chinese produced EM.

As far as aluminum goes I have limited knowledge but machining with 4flute coated carbide means that soon your EM will start to resemble a block of aluminum - from personal experience.