• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Carbide burr holders?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
57E152F5-3C2E-46CF-B423-7D80ACAED9D4.jpeg
Not really a critical need, but how do you guys store carbide burrs and such? I wouldn’t mind having a better solution than just a cardboard box

In my mind a 2-3” tall block of plastic with holes on a grid pattern would be ideal.

Can you buy something like that or am I making something myself?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Go a drill press and piece of 2X6 laying around? Sounds like a 1/2 hour project to me.

Last edited:

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I have made some great looking stuff from melting HDPE ( milk jugs, laundry and other jugs, old tool carry cases) basically any colour plaatic container with the #2 recycling symbol, melted in home oven at 350* mixed and pressed into a block then machined. A lot of videos on the you tube. I made a hockey puck stand and a chain guide for my dirt bike. Looks cool but as mentioned a block of wood works to

Chicken lights

Go a drill press and piece of 2X6 laying around? Sounds like a 1/2 hour project to me.
That’s so simple I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Paint it whatever colour you want, too

Driving along today I thought it would be neat if someone repurposed something for this. Like take a 5 pound bowling ball, mill a flat spot, drill a bunch of holes and make a hedgehog burr holder

I think someone could have some fun making one! Machine a 3”x3” cube out of aluminum or hard plastic, then drill holes on 5 of the faces, as another idea

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup, that's my method. They always seem quick & temporary at the time but somehow they are still in the shop many years later. If you change your mind or add to the series, its not like another block of wood is a big expense or effort. I also have a block for common drill/clearance drills series which gets a lot of use & quick to grab. Like 2-56, 4-40, 6-32...
I like MDF a bit better than grained wood which can tend to distort over time & grip the shanks. You may have to experiment with the drill size for the right fit to go slightly oversize. Thats better than tugging on the sharp end of an end mill. I'm actually thinking of making some blocks for my Dremel tools. I have officially run out of room on my plastic ones that I cant seem to find a source for anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_8042_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8042_edited-1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 0

trlvn

Ultra Member
...I like MDF a bit better than grained wood which can tend to distort over time & grip the shanks. You may have to experiment with the drill size for the right fit to go slightly oversize. Thats better than tugging on the sharp end of an end mill. I'm actually thinking of making some blocks for my Dremel tools. I have officially run out of room on my plastic ones that I cant seem to find a source for anymore.
So are those copper-coloured countersinks the 90 degree type? Just the other day, I was thinking that I need to get countersinks better organized. That is a good point about Dremel stuff, too. Centre drills, too.

At an auction, I got a good-size box of plastic blocks. I think I may use some of that for such stands. BTW, another potential issue with wood is moisture. Even very dry wood still has some moisture content. I don't really want to have that in direct contact with the shanks of such bits over the long term.

Craig

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
3dprints. I use wood blocks like Peter too. A couple prints of my design and the metric drill index I found on thingiverse. The sleeve was a little thin and split.

Attachments

• 9CE0EBBB-0D7A-46EC-AAA7-943F761CD31E.jpeg
    9CE0EBBB-0D7A-46EC-AAA7-943F761CD31E.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 28C83DC7-3258-40F7-9924-E57B4559107F.jpeg
    28C83DC7-3258-40F7-9924-E57B4559107F.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 5A523DC3-0253-4443-93FD-192D95635708.jpeg
    5A523DC3-0253-4443-93FD-192D95635708.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So are those copper-coloured countersinks the 90 degree type?
Craig
Yes, 90-deg, AliExpress specials. They seem to work OK. Cant tell you how long the miracle coating will last but the edge seems to be holding up in light duty thus far. I find they favor a slower spindle in mild steel.

Chicken lights

3AD6CF8C-C184-4A2A-926C-4A60946A39E2.jpeg BD2AA517-990F-4032-BE5C-D2EE2D003E67.jpeg
I scrounged that block of wood last week. I was actually home for more than 10 minutes and got a start on it. It should dry out then sand it down and add some oil, I’m thinking

It’s too long and a little tall but it’s a start