• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Car Rust

architect

Super User
Any suggestions on how to slow rust in the hindquarters? I was trying to sand down to find clean metal but going through the shiny stuff I found dark metal and rust. Maybe it's coming from the other side I can feel rust flaking off if I put my hands through the inside. Any thoughts on how to deal with it? My initial plan was just to blast some primer on it. I'm not looking to make it pretty just want to slow things down as much as possible so I can drive this 2006 Subaru for as long as possible.

PXL_20230518_164111375.jpg
PXL_20230518_164115654.jpg

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Fluid Film is my usual go-to car rust proofing...

This looks past that though, probably needs some POR-15 and some paint. Though better would be cutting out the rusted crap, welding in new material, bondo/filler, then the usual paint steps for cars.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
keep it clean and blast some primer/paint on it, thats the best your going to hope for, its still going to go fast

if you want to stop it your going to have to cut it out, thats to far gone for any kind of cheap/easy fix

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I am no expert, but I think to do a good job you need to cut the rusted metal out and weld new sheet metal in. Then grind it nice and flat and repaint whole panel.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Trade in for new every 5 years....
Ya I can't afford that either so I use alot of Rust Check spray oil. I think any sort of oil would be helpful in keeping it from progressing but make sure your not using any oil anywhere you're painting or filling.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Fluid Film is my usual go-to car rust proofing...

This looks past that though, probably needs some POR-15 and some paint. Though better would be cutting out the rusted crap, welding in new material, bondo/filler, then the usual paint steps for cars.
I mix lanolin and mineral spirits or turpentine and coat the undercarriage every year!

Proxule

Ultra Member
Where does a fellow buy lanolin?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ouch expensive stuff

Proxule

Ultra Member
Ouch expensive stuff
I have been using this stuff for 15 years, I wasn't aware or knew about fluid film. Prices sure have jumped over the years.
Not sure if a can of fluid film is better or cheaper. I thin mine enough ti spray into nooks and tight corners and areas.
YMMV .

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
@SomeGuy, how much of a mess does it make when you spray the undercarriage? Is it like a set up tarps under kind of affair? Or does it stick pretty well and not run/drip at all?

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
@SomeGuy, how much of a mess does it make when you spray the undercarriage? Is it like a set up tarps under kind of affair? Or does it stick pretty well and not run/drip at all?

Zero drips, very clean. Most people complain about the smell, but doesn't bother me at all.

Watch the video link I posted above, it's how I've done it.

T34AG

If you really want to stop the rust in that area you need to remove the interior panels and completely cover the wheel arches from the inside with lps 3 or second choice would be fluid film . Pay particular attention to the area where the inner wheel meets the outer quarter panel. Por15 in this case may slow the rust somewhat but not stop it. Paint or primer will do nothing at this point.

architect

Super User
I spray it with an underbody sprayer...but I suppose you could brush it on, it just wouldn't get inside all the little nooks and crannies.
What's the min. compressor CFM needed would you say to spray this stuff? I thought about buying the cans with the flexible nozzle as an alternative.