• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Canadian Hobbyist YouTubers

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Every time you guys post a youtube video link I get distracted by the 767 approach to London videos and lose track of time LOL...... How do you stay focused?

chip4charlie

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Paul Brodie is a legend in the mountain bike world (I run a bike shop). His shop is in Richmond, BC. Pre-COVID he taught a bike framebuilding course at a Lower Mainland college.
His book is a good read, burned through it one night and had a chat with Paul over Messenger. He has some wizard skills but is very humble.

Six O Two

(Marco)
I'm definitely liking Paul Brodie's channel. His book is great, I would have loved to take his framebuilding course when it was still offered, but I'd already taken a different course, so it didn't really make sense.

On the knifemaking/forging side, there's Simple Little Life (he's near Chestermere, AB, I think) and also Timothy Dyck, who forges axes and stuff in the lower mainland. there's sometimes some machining content, but that's not the thrust of these channels.

Similarly, these Canadian custom car channels sometimes feature metal work/machining, but that's not their main focus - Fitzee's Fabrications (nfld), Halfass Customs (MB), Make It Kustom (BC).

John Heinz has been mentioned for woodworking, but don't forget Matthias Wandel.

Edit: Oh, and for welding... Pacific Arc.

deleted_user

Super User
Well there is of course AvE if you can handle the salty language.

Over the years his persona has become stale, tired and overly verbose filled with BS. Too much entertainment content and too little information for my tastes. In many of his good info videos he takes far too long to deliver info... to many of his colloquialisms, misogyny and other assorted crap... because more time = more money and his target demographic is, well I've leave it at that

I haven't unsubscribed yet, but I skip his new notifications when the content is not readily apparent.

I have subscribed to a couple other Canadians but I just can't recall their names or channels, since most are not too prominent or memorable to me. I tend to choose solid content over flash... there are the likes of Joe Pieczynski, and Stefan Gotteswinter for instance I prefer

deleted_user

Super User
His book is a good read, burned through it one night and had a chat with Paul over Messenger. He has some wizard skills but is very humble.
I watch Paul's videos and would have loved to take his course back in the day. I am building a flying merkel inspired ebike from scratch with a lugged frame and could have used some tips.

deleted_user

Super User
If you like to watch someone make very detailed metal models, the youtube channel "Ron Calverley" has a 900+ episode on building a replica of the HMS hood. He's in Winnipeg.
I've been subscribed to Ron's channel for so long I dont even recall when I started following him.

deleted_user

Super User
Out of curiosity, who do you all watch on YouTube as far as Canadian YouTubers? No, I'm not looking for any special treatment here, especially as I haven't put anything out in over 2 months, and the fact that I'm just an auto mechanic who dabbles in this whole metal cutting addiction. I would merely like to know if there are any good channels and people on them North of the 49th that I'm unaware of. We do have different challenges and opportunities here in Canada with our hobby/craft than our colleagues South of the Border, and like in this forum it is good to hear from others who have similar challenges and local ideas.

I do already have a few favorites like Pierre, Phil, Chris (Just1Guy), Fred (Fred's Machine Werks), Marc L'Ecuyer, Colin from CompEdgeX, and Journeyman Randy, but who else are we missing out on?

Thanks!
The greatest all time Canadian youtuber of course is Mehdi Sadaghdar.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I watch Paul's videos and would have loved to take his course back in the day. I am building a flying merkel inspired ebike from scratch with a lugged frame and could have used some tips.
We NEED a thread on your build. I am pondering building a road frame if for no other reason than to use up all the components I have :D

deleted_user

Super User
We NEED a thread on your build. I am pondering building a road frame if for no other reason than to use up all the components I have :D

I'm still in the design phase and early motor design that is pretty unique. The cranks will go thru the motor shaft... Dual gates belts, one on the cracks and one on the motor to the disk brake side of the rear hub.

AM-JKLXREnBdgac0F77TYST38A8cS2RhI9TtenMo7yRcj7XaSO5PfT7dEdkO0GhKz2pVpyuvVS_vOuL15yzWO9psXucMKqwlmVqC1sxL3x5EKW-pSbsa8KE_NtHb0h55IHKpJBSZLlkkD4VLI26shx3hHPFP=w997-h612-no

AM-JKLU6KNTxNiG7hUXS67D_rrQtlOm1GS8qKaq_0mRiURE_tr9kf_ZudYex1pepZ4OKdr27Vdc-K6ttqdPQilVDf5qcseEDhcTmwE6eR91ynO6hQyMR_hc0-A8eCOreJoPWRlPSTkuPEFEyLrluy4OsDUem=w1037-h531-no

Oh I forgot to mention I'm including a sidecar to take my dogs along for rides. They didn't like the bike trailer, so I hope they'd like a side car

I also have a thread started on salvaging ebike friction drive conversion kits from a Montreal company that went bankrupt. They over engineered and made a kit that was wayyyy over priced, used all proprietary components and had too many staff. I picked up five partial kits less batteries and am making them work with off the shelf components, starting with new battery packs built to fit their existing extrusions.

I wish I had bike components to repurpose... and frames. But alas I used all mine to make bikes for under-privileged kids.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm still in the design phase and early motor design that is pretty unique. The cranks will go thru the motor shaft... Dual gates belts, one on the cracks and one on the motor to the disk brake side of the rear hub.

AM-JKLXREnBdgac0F77TYST38A8cS2RhI9TtenMo7yRcj7XaSO5PfT7dEdkO0GhKz2pVpyuvVS_vOuL15yzWO9psXucMKqwlmVqC1sxL3x5EKW-pSbsa8KE_NtHb0h55IHKpJBSZLlkkD4VLI26shx3hHPFP=w997-h612-no

AM-JKLU6KNTxNiG7hUXS67D_rrQtlOm1GS8qKaq_0mRiURE_tr9kf_ZudYex1pepZ4OKdr27Vdc-K6ttqdPQilVDf5qcseEDhcTmwE6eR91ynO6hQyMR_hc0-A8eCOreJoPWRlPSTkuPEFEyLrluy4OsDUem=w1037-h531-no

Oh I forgot to mention I'm including a sidecar to take my dogs along for rides. They didn't like the bike trailer, so I hope they'd like a side car

I also have a thread started on salvaging ebike friction drive conversion kits from a Montreal company that went bankrupt. They over engineered and made a kit that was wayyyy over priced, used all proprietary components and had too many staff. I picked up five partial kits less batteries and am making them work with off the shelf components, starting with new battery packs built to fit their existing extrusions.

I wish I had bike components to repurpose... and frames. But alas I used all mine to make bikes for under-privileged kids.
Very cool, clear design influence from old boardtrack racers!
Are you using BikeCAD?

deleted_user

Super User
Very cool, clear design influence from old boardtrack racers!
Are you using BikeCAD?
No bikecad. I dont know how to use it and I am replicating the Merkel as closely as possible so I'm not sure that bike cad would be beneficial.

The Merkel had both spring forks, rear springs at the seat post and a pivot at the chainstays and cranks.

The only modifications I've made is to move the cranks to the center of the motor shaft since I think that geometry is better.