• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Canadian Hobbyist YouTubers

Everett

Super User
Out of curiosity, who do you all watch on YouTube as far as Canadian YouTubers? No, I'm not looking for any special treatment here, especially as I haven't put anything out in over 2 months, and the fact that I'm just an auto mechanic who dabbles in this whole metal cutting addiction. I would merely like to know if there are any good channels and people on them North of the 49th that I'm unaware of. We do have different challenges and opportunities here in Canada with our hobby/craft than our colleagues South of the Border, and like in this forum it is good to hear from others who have similar challenges and local ideas.

I do already have a few favorites like Pierre, Phil, Chris (Just1Guy), Fred (Fred's Machine Werks), Marc L'Ecuyer, Colin from CompEdgeX, and Journeyman Randy, but who else are we missing out on?

Thanks!

Everett

Super User
Very true, and he does seem to be an intelligent fellow, but I can't watch his stuff with the kids or wife around . . . I like how James Clough referred to AvE's channel in mentioning that, "his wife didn't like it as much and that she could not employ a bench vise in the properly prescribed manner so it held little interest for her," lol.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Aside from Ave (who I find hilarious), there's Blondihacks, CompedgeX, Fred's Machine Werks, Just1Guy Machineworks, Richard Pierik, and Hand Tool Rescue, to name a few. Of course Everett's Workshop, because we shouldn't leave off your channel...

If you find any others, please post them here - I try to follow all the Canadian youtubers I can!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Oh I forgot Pierre's Garage and Phil's Projects - they both have stopped posting - my guess is that they were mistreated by someone at a summer Bash at Bar Z (the timing is suspect)

There is also THATLAZYMACHINIST (no, I am not shouting) and hmw1972.

For a while I thought Chirpy's Tinkerings was a Canuck, but he changed his location to 'United States' from <blank>, so the jury's out.

Oh, and Dan Gelbart started posting again. He stopped for about 2 years.

Anyway, that's all I have, so I'd be interested in others...

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That AVE is the only one I have trouble watching, so GD annoying and $%@#ing foul mouthed on top of it.

There are a few in there I haven't seen tho so will have to check them out. I really like Everetts' style.

I sometimes have problems watching too much on YouTube and doing too little in the shop myself.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Out of curiosity, who do you all watch on YouTube as far as Canadian YouTubers? No, I'm not looking for any special treatment here, especially as I haven't put anything out in over 2 months, and the fact that I'm just an auto mechanic who dabbles in this whole metal cutting addiction. I would merely like to know if there are any good channels and people on them North of the 49th that I'm unaware of. We do have different challenges and opportunities here in Canada with our hobby/craft than our colleagues South of the Border, and like in this forum it is good to hear from others who have similar challenges and local ideas.

I do already have a few favorites like Pierre, Phil, Chris (Just1Guy), Fred (Fred's Machine Werks), Marc L'Ecuyer, Colin from CompEdgeX, and Journeyman Randy, but who else are we missing out on?

Thanks!
Since you mention auto mechanic and metal working, you will probably enjoy Paul Short. He's exactly that, with a dream shop in Bay Roberts, NL. He has a auto shop/fabrication shop and loves to do mods on tractors, build tools, etc. His vids are top quality, fun, and he is a good teacher. About the only thing I could say negative about his content is that he is obviously very well off financially, and some of the equipment he buys is out of the league of most guys. Not that it isn't great fun to watch—but his shop (recently expanded) is in the millionaire Bat Cave category. He also seems to be a pretty decent guy who obviously enjoys helping people out. His wife is in many of his vids, and they obviously have a great relationship. He's slowed down a tad since a medical issue, but really good content still. https://www.youtube.com/user/7863348

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
That AVE is the only one I have trouble watching, so GD annoying and $%@#ing foul mouthed on top of it.

There are a few in there I haven't seen tho so will have to check them out. I really like Everetts' style.

I sometimes have problems watching too much on YouTube and doing too little in the shop myself.
Re AVE - Agreed. 100%. There's something about a guy who likes himself so much that I can't get past.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
oh, and have a look at Richard Pierik and Chirpy's Tinkerings...

- anyone get the feeling i watch youtube too much?

George

I have a channel but haven’t made any thing yet it just says why i got into wanting to do hobby machining, a little about where I live, where I got my machines and how i got them in my basement shop i made, with a little tour of what i have, I’ve made a cpl of things but didn’t video them. I am mainly cutting stock ordering from various cheap Chinese sellers for projects i have planned for the future, which i will video.
George’s Basement Shop.

Winter is Coming ❄️⛄️

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have a channel but haven’t made any thing yet it just says why i got into wanting to do hobby machining, a little about where I live, where I got my machines and how i got them in my basement shop i made, with a little tour of what i have, I’ve made a cpl of things but didn’t video them. I am mainly cutting stock ordering from various cheap Chinese sellers for projects i have planned for the future, which i will video.
George’s Basement Shop.

Winter is Coming [emoji3587][emoji301]️

As in Georgesbasement.com?

If yes, I’d like to talk about your sabastian treadle lathe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
If you like to watch someone make very detailed metal models, the youtube channel "Ron Calverley" has a 900+ episode on building a replica of the HMS hood. He's in Winnipeg.