• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Can this sort of vice be used for milling?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Size is a matter of preference . I know many members who found the space between the jaws insufficient on a 4” and even on a 6” . I haven’t had that issue but can understand the problem

Weight, and stick-out on the Y axis are other issues with vices too big. Balancing 60 lbs can be interesting .

I’ve never had a 5”, it may be the sweet spot

I think I'm sold actually. With it mounted as shown in my image and the jaws fully open the Y-Axis travel allows milling access to anything it could mount between the jaws. It does bump into the column by about 1/4" but there is a simple solution to that if it's really an issue. I'd say it's about max for my machine.

Craig