• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Can this sort of vice be used for milling?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is there ever a time this sort of thing can be used for milling ( not just downward drilling) on a milling machine? Or is that just asking for wrecks?

Attachments

• 20200625_194950.jpg
    20200625_194950.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 0

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've seen it done on small machines: light cuts, small HSS end mills. By the time you've broken a few end mills, you'll be ready for a milling vise.

One youtube guy, I don't remember who, uses the blue GROZ drill press vise on his RF40 for everything. He just cuts very carefully.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
personally I would not use it as a milling vise. Can it be done? For sure. Are you going to have issues? 100%. is it worth it? That is your call.

is this not a proper milling vise in this picture where you just brushed the jaw with your dovetail cutter?
16127_1b8072a3c33f4f1684db6840036f8fd5.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
personally I would not use it as a milling vise. Can it be done? For sure. Are you going to have issues? 100%. is it worth it? That is your call.

is this not a proper milling vise in this picture where you just brushed the jaw with your dovetail cutter?
View attachment 9753
Yes that is a proper milling vice, the only reasons I would consider using the drill press vice is because of the lowe profile it has. My milling machine is quite limited in its table to spi due clearance.
I probably should sell the drill press vice as I never use it for the intended purpose and then I won't have to worry about doing something I shouldn't with it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Not ideal, and not very precise, but Ya, as long as you don't over do it.

VISE.JPG

I'm using this one until I find a proper one. This one has two ground surfaces so you can square it to the table with a machinist square.

What you posted is more for a drill press.

You can get low(er) profile milling vises.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Hey yychm, borrow my 5" for a couple of weeks... then you'll rush out to buy a milling vise...

trlvn

Ultra Member
My milling machine is quite limited in its table to spi due clearance. ...
A couple of Youtube channels had videos recently on side clamps for the milling machine table.

Pretty simple and not much material required. These let you take the vise right out of the height equation as long as you don't need to drill right through the workpiece.

Craig

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I think this old tony (or AvE) made a video recently of a 2piece vice, I use basically the same cheap blue soba(?) As Craig pictures above but my old drill press vice is clearly better manufactured and I have considered the swap but I’m going with a 3” or 4” Kurt type from dales machine tools in Medicine Hat once I get things rolling again

Tom O

Ultra Member
I saw that Blondihacks last week she does some good work but tappety tap tap is hard to listen to! :oops:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you look at the Stefan videos, he did a lot of work on this style of import 'grinding' vise. They are quite low profile, generally very accurate & reasonably priced. These are also good to have around anyways to clamp a vise within a vise for compound angles as you expand your tooling arsenal over time.
https://www.accusizetools.com/search-results-page?q=vise

Then the next step up is low profile 'mill' vise. I've seen them in 4,5,6" jaw increments. btw - 'm not advocating Accusize (Chinese) just showing pictures
https://www.accusizetools.com/1202-1025-6-x-8-cnc-machine-vise-system-matched-vise-bases-0-0004/

The Kurt style has more mass & rigidity. Better selection of replaceable jaws. But the tradeoff is they are elevated as much as 2" above the low profile style.
https://www.accusizetools.com/6-super-lock-precision-c-n-c-machine-vise-fa23-5206/

The caveat to all import vises is its a crap shoot. I wouldn't blink an eye on most anything from Taiwan, Vertex etc. Its usually great stuff for hobbyist precision. But they can cost nearly the same as a USA Kurt depending on the model. A less expensive Chinese vise can range from this quality level to basically a useless boat anchor, even if you buy the same brand someone a week ago was perfectly happy with.

If money is available & mill headroom sufficient & mid/upper power range then a Kurt/quality clone is probably the way to go.
If mill power, headroom & table size is more limited consider some of the other options. It really depends on the work you anticipate doing, but just be aware that tooling gobbles up the attic space under the quill very rapidly. Just mock it up with a cardboard cutout vise from catalog dimensions to get a feel.

Attachments

• SNAG-6-26-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-6-26-2020 0000.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 0

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes 3 inches difference.
Ok I see the type of vise you have. The “universal vise” works for very light stuff on the mill. I would not consider that a proper milling vise. I have the exact same one. It is used 99% of the time on the Tool & Cutter Grinder or the Surface Grinder when I need compound angles. Grinding forces are a fraction of milling forces and this style of vise is perfectly suited for that.

Here is what I was thinking of: https://vevor.ca/products/4-non-swi...MIjteK_PWf6gIVhRx9Ch385gHdEAYYASABEgJCpvD_BwE (not affiliated). Or as @PeterT posted above.

Yes, it is a bit of a gamble unless you spend $$$s on a Kurt, Glacern, GS, KAR, any of the European brand ones, etc. The difference in performance is an order of magnitude better, however. Parts stay put. You can take them out for inspection/fit, put them back in and you will be right back in the same spot.

Here is a little one from PA. 3.25” jaw width. 2.5” opening. 1.625” bed night. Comes with swivel base.
FF85B6A2-CD4E-4928-BF89-D1C9C234E0FF.jpeg

Just checked, they don’t seem to list it any more...

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Have you looked into a riser block for the mill? I know they're not cheap to buy, if available, but someone with a lathe and /or mill should be able to make one.
I wonder if anyone here has done this and has some insight?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
+1 what Dabbler said, it can be done. Small machine would be fine. Don't expect accuracy. Don't expect accuracy from anything you buy at BB or KMS that is a "Kurt style". Grinding style vise is precise but I would not use it on larger machine - there is a reason for how it works - I also use it sometimes in a vise in vise setup for small stuff.

You can, for bonus points, always clamp to the table. Big pain, but you get very good accuracy and no worries about Z or holding power.