Calgary Govt Auction Beaver AH Mark II Mill & Clausing Model 721 Lathe Burnerd EC collets/chuck

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You were right on about theis auction. Like some auctions I have been to, the lot went for way more that I would pay. I really think for 6000 a savvy shopper can do better in this market.

Tom Fitzpatrick

Wow, glad I made the decision I did and kept my hand down. And then I see the Bridgeport in Not for 1900, and this sale today makes no sense.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Ontario prices will be cheaper than over here as there are alot more supply over there. What is is the ballpark cost of getting a 2000 lb machine shipped from Ontario to Alberta?

Ontario prices will be cheaper than over here as there are alot more supply over there. What is is the ballpark cost of getting a 2000 lb machine shipped from Ontario to Alberta?
Some of the smarter Albertans have had their mills shipped from Ontario, or went and picked them up themselves.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Xyphota I used to drive to Hamilton every year. Now it is occasionally. I can recommend it (except for transport truck accidents)

What is is the ballpark cost of getting a 2000 lb machine shipped from Ontario to Alberta?
My cost was about 800$ from richmond, BC, (7 years ago) and @RobinHood had a lathe shipped from Ottawa for just over 800$, 5? years ago. I'd budget 1000$.

Depending on the truck and trailer, I'd say the round trip to Hamilton to cost 650$ for gas plus expenses.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What is is the ballpark cost of getting a 2000 lb machine shipped from Ontario to Alberta?
I just checked my receipts:

When I bought my Colchester lathe in Ottawa, it cost me $812 to ship 2250 lbs to Calgary. Used Day & Ross. This was in October, 2018.

Edit: sorry @Dabbler , did not see you already posted those numbers for me, thanks!

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i wonder how the fuel cost may have affected those prices, fuel is a lot more now than it was in 2018

Tom Fitzpatrick

Anyone know the number of days to get to Toronto, assuming 8-9 hour days. Is it any faster going through the states instead of the long round about (around the lakes to get to Toronto? If that’s where the majority of Bridgeports are maybe a road trip’s the best option - if you like driving.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Anyone know the number of days to get to Toronto, assuming 8-9 hour days. Is it any faster going through the states instead of the long round about (around the lakes to get to Toronto? If that’s where the majority of Bridgeports are maybe a road trip’s the best option - if you like driving.
We drove from a bit southeast of Regina to just south of London in May. 2 1/2 long days there and then 4 days back. Stayed north of the border just avoid the border crossing hassle. Driving an AWD 2014 Chev express van. Nearly 6000km round trip and over 1700 bucks in gas. Lots of the gas was over 2 bucks per liter in Ontario. Should be cheaper now.
We slept in the van. Yes, I am officially a Walmart camper. No regrets because we came came home with this guy.

Attachments

• PXL_20230103_181140454.jpg
    PXL_20230103_181140454.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 20

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
i wonder how the fuel cost may have affected those prices, fuel is a lot more now than it was in 2018
My last trip in my truck was exactly 1 year ago. Perhaps 10% more?
I only do road-time. 42 hours of driving to get to Toronto from Calgary. I usually drive to Thunder Bay in one go. Then my days are based on where we are going to sleep. 10-12 hour days. I usually get to Hamilton in 3-4 days.

(one time I only took one 7 hour sleep break, and made it in just over 2 days, but I was young and stupid then)

Tom Fitzpatrick

Wow, we were all young and stupid once. Might re-think this one and gather all options plus researching trucking costs from Ontario - just to have a fuller picture. Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. Does anyone know that if you buy a used Bridgeport mill in the states and bring it back across the border if there are special more unique papers/forms that have to be completed other than the standard duty and GST? I wouldn't think it would be like bringing a vehicle back across the border. Thanks again for your collective wisdom.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I know I couldn't pull a trailer 6500km for 650$ in fuel these days that's for sure

Considering diesel has taken a bigger hit at the pumps than gas I imagine the fuel surcharges would be pretty high compared to 2018

Crosche

Super User
I have had all of the machines I own shipped from Ontario. The cost of shipping was between $500 ~ $800. The biggest hassle was getting the equipment prepped for shipping because commercial carriers won't package, wrap or palletize equipment. The cost to have my SM1120 prepped for shipping ran me $400 and the actual shipping was only $550 on Manitoulin.

Tom Fitzpatrick

Yes, we have a diesel, so fuel for that distance is a concern. I suppose trucking companies would know of businesses that would wrap & palletize a piece of equipment.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I know I couldn't pull a trailer 6500km for 650$ in fuel these days that's for sure
... you're right! I was not towing a trailer on my trip! Of course it will cost more. My mistake. .

I *did* tow a minivan from Kenora to Calgary. It didn't seem too expensive - but considering the alternative, it could have been1K$ and it would have seemed cheap. o_O

Last edited:

Crosche

Super User
Yes, we have a diesel, so fuel for that distance is a concern. I suppose trucking companies would know of businesses that would wrap & palletize a piece of equipment.

Not necessarily, I had to search high and low to find someone to prepare my shipment. Initially I thought I was going to have to drive to North Bay, but ultimately I took a chance with a local moving company and got lucky.