Calgary Govt Auction Beaver AH Mark II Mill & Clausing Model 721 Lathe Burnerd EC collets/chuck

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

Closing date:9-February-2023 @ 01:56:00 pm EST

Milling Machine and Lathe

• Quantity: 1
    • Milling Machine
    • Manufacturer: Beaver
    • Model: AH Mark II
    • Serial number: 345
  • Quantity: 1
    • Lathe
    • Manufacturer: Clausing
    • Model: 721
  • Complete with:
    • One set of Burnerd Multisize Collets
    • Assorted lathe and milling machine tools
  • Client department states that the Milling Machine is operational with the exception of the coolant spray. Lathe was repaired about 9 years ago and is fully functional.
2494314.JPEG

2494329.JPEG

2494331.JPEG

577154-1232498.jpg

577154-1232500.jpg

577154-1232503.jpg

Xyphota

Ultra Member
That's quite close to where I work, maybe I can go get some pictures of the ways and see what the power requirements are for the motors. What do people think these machines are worth if they were in good shape? Looks like they come pretty well tooled.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
That's quite close to where I work, maybe I can go get some pictures of the ways and see what the power requirements are for the motors. What do people think these machines are worth if they were in good shape? Looks like they come pretty well tooled.
One potential issue:
Special Instructions During the COVID-19 Pandemic

1. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, no viewings are permitted.
  2. We encourage you to visit our "COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions" on our website for more information and to keep updated by reading our banner updates on the website.
  3. GCSurplus is not accepting payments at sales centres at this time. We are only accepting online payments through our website (no in-person payment).
  4. Pick-ups will be contactless. Instructions will be provided at the time of appointment.

IF this were in GTA I'd buy it.

The lathe looks to be a 6900 Series Clausing 14" x ??" good one, and comes with the Clausing No. 7214 Taper attachment, and the Burnerd EC collets and chuck, 3 jaw, 4 jaw and drive plate. I expect this would easily fetch over 4K for the lathe alone if in GTA.

I dont know beaver mills but it looks to be complete and have tooling...

Last edited:

Xyphota

Ultra Member
That blurb must be copy-pasted into all the adverts. It says elsewhere in the ad that the buyer is responsible for removing the milling machine from its current position, so that's not quite what I would call contactless pick up haha

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
That blurb must be copy-pasted into all the adverts. It says elsewhere in the ad that the buyer is responsible for removing the milling machine from its current position, so that's not quite what I would call contactless pick up haha

Yes I've found that their boiler plate is often wrong.

Contact them, offer to wear N95 mask and they have no legit reason to say no.

The lathe has the heavy duty taper attachment too, not the usual light duty one found on 12" Clausings. I'll have ot watch this auction actually close since it may prove interesting

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I just got back from visiting the lathe and the mill. The mill is a bit of a funny duck. Kind of a bench-top mill capacity with a bridgeport sized footprint. The lathe is also much bigger feeling in person that the photos suggest, but granted I am not familiar with the 6913. It must be close to 8 feet long. Both machines have 240V 3 phase motors. Unfortunately the ways on both machines were bone dry and located right next to some bench grinders :confused:. Plenty of space around the machines though, and the space is about 50 feet to a loading bay.

Tom Fitzpatrick

From the images of the mill in the pictures I searched the Internet for similar appearing machines, but was unable to locate any that appear the same. Most Beaver machines appear to be more closely like Bridgeports so am not sure if this is indeed a Mark II. What's the address where you went to look at them - I'm close to Calgary. Thanks.

. The mill is a bit of a funny duck. Kind of a bench-top mill capacity with a bridgeport sized footprint.

Yes, but they sometimes go for alot less money and apparently have alot of flexibility for their size, or so I've read (?). Horizontal and Veritcal mill in a bridgeport-ish footprint. I dont think they were ever meant for heavy work.

Both units are 3 phase by looks of the cabling.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
$5k for both units is a decent deal, isnt it?

Yes I think so - I was wondering whatever I could buy and flip but I think that the mill is maybe 2000 - 2500 and the lathe is 4000 max when separated. I do not know, what Dabbler thinks? The mill is certainly not a B-port and smaller.

BTW there is no forklift access so need to drag these out of there - if there were stairs involved this would be a bit nightmarish.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I think the lathe is worth about 3200. I wouldn't go past that. You could put higher weight on the Bernerd collet system, but I don't.

The mill, however. without a quill, and the small envelope, I place the value at 1500$ MAX. Fair value is perhaps a little less.

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think the lathe is worth about 3200. I wouldn't go past that. You could put higher weight on the Bernerd collet system, but I don't.

The mill, however. without a quill, and the small envelope, I place the value at 1500$ (I worry the taper is an uncommon one)

Right, I forgot it could be some strange thing like B&S #9. Visually the horizontal spindle looks to me like 40 taper - there is a picture of an arbor that looks just like mine do.

Why are there these "extra tables" coming in with the machine? Is the machine universal or are these extra for other equipment or is it part of Tool cutter & grinder - one attachment looks like from T&C grinder. The tables look like from T&Cg.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I put no value on those extras, as xyphota doesn't do grinding and would have to try to sell then, etc..

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
And it most likely has to be removed during working hours, so if your working that's a days lost wages, plus a helper

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Up to $5400, I'm definitely out of budget now. Good luck to the highest bidder :)

EDIT: $5600 with 4 minutes left!

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Sold for 5600 plus GST. So just under 6000 CAD. So I guess my pricing intuition was right.

I have two collet chucks for my lathe but as many others I just want more ;)