Calgary- Delrin bushings

N

Neil B

I'm looking to get some delrin bushings machined for 2 carburetor throttle spindles. I would need a total of 4 bushings.

Each bushing is:
  • made from 9/16" nominal diameter delrin rod
  • has a 9/32" center hole
  • approximately 0.835″ in length
  • has a 0.59" long section cut to an OD of of 0.380" - 0.0385"
Here is a quick CAD drawing I made:

HAL6Wn8.png

If I am getting these made I might as well also have them pressed into the carb bodies and bored out/aligned.

I got the idea for this on a blog written by a gentleman from Maine. He outlines how he manufactures and installs the bushings in the link below.

It's quite a long post so I would suggest that once you are on his page, use ctrl + f to search for the following text "Delrin bushings that I use in Type HIF-6 carburetors". This will take you to the relevant section.

HIF-6 Rebuild

I have not taken this to a professional shop yet and I would ideally like it done this week or even this weekend. I can source the rod. I'm located in the SW but would be willing to travel to any part of the city.

Thank you in advance,
Neil

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I decided to try printing said parts with my new 3D printer. Here in the photo you can see two with two more printing in the background. I think - think - they will be ok with gasoline due to the attached chart. The printing material is PETG. No guarantees though. I think they turned out as pretty good parts. I upped the density to 70% from the default 20%.

http://sevierlab.vet.cornell.edu/resources/Chemical-Resistance-Chart-Detail.pdf

@Neil B PM me and we can see if you want these parts.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Photos. So does the forum think this would be ok in an engine?

Attachments

• 12A9D570-5C93-43FF-87CF-D3AE56358757.jpeg
    12A9D570-5C93-43FF-87CF-D3AE56358757.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D938EDA6-8269-462A-BD3F-9B5FAB79DA67.jpeg
    D938EDA6-8269-462A-BD3F-9B5FAB79DA67.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Well abs is very unstable in fuel. PLA resists gasoline for a little bit.You would need to print it out of nylon if you have any hope of it standing up to the gasoline. Looks good John, I like that you are always trying stuff,

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
This is not pla or abs. Its PETG so that might be better. Needs more research.

Attachments

• 6BF6BB35-B71F-4763-B30A-5EDA9AEFA309.jpeg
    6BF6BB35-B71F-4763-B30A-5EDA9AEFA309.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
John, looks like you got your printer printing diameters accurately. Did you end up changing anything ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Odd - external diameters are fine - the internal ones are still out. I'm not sure why your clone is better. ???