• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Calgary- Delrin bushings

N

Neil B

I'm looking to get some delrin bushings machined for 2 carburetor throttle spindles. I would need a total of 4 bushings.

Each bushing is:
  • made from 9/16" nominal diameter delrin rod
  • has a 9/32" center hole
  • approximately 0.835″ in length
  • has a 0.59" long section cut to an OD of of 0.380" - 0.0385"
Here is a quick CAD drawing I made:

HAL6Wn8.png

If I am getting these made I might as well also have them pressed into the carb bodies and bored out/aligned.

I got the idea for this on a blog written by a gentleman from Maine. He outlines how he manufactures and installs the bushings in the link below.

It's quite a long post so I would suggest that once you are on his page, use ctrl + f to search for the following text "Delrin bushings that I use in Type HIF-6 carburetors". This will take you to the relevant section.

HIF-6 Rebuild

I have not taken this to a professional shop yet and I would ideally like it done this week or even this weekend. I can source the rod. I'm located in the SW but would be willing to travel to any part of the city.

Thank you in advance,
Neil

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I decided to try printing said parts with my new 3D printer. Here in the photo you can see two with two more printing in the background. I think - think - they will be ok with gasoline due to the attached chart. The printing material is PETG. No guarantees though. I think they turned out as pretty good parts. I upped the density to 70% from the default 20%.

http://sevierlab.vet.cornell.edu/resources/Chemical-Resistance-Chart-Detail.pdf

@Neil B PM me and we can see if you want these parts.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Photos. So does the forum think this would be ok in an engine?

Attachments

• 12A9D570-5C93-43FF-87CF-D3AE56358757.jpeg
    12A9D570-5C93-43FF-87CF-D3AE56358757.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D938EDA6-8269-462A-BD3F-9B5FAB79DA67.jpeg
    D938EDA6-8269-462A-BD3F-9B5FAB79DA67.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Well abs is very unstable in fuel. PLA resists gasoline for a little bit.You would need to print it out of nylon if you have any hope of it standing up to the gasoline. Looks good John, I like that you are always trying stuff,

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
This is not pla or abs. Its PETG so that might be better. Needs more research.

Attachments

• 6BF6BB35-B71F-4763-B30A-5EDA9AEFA309.jpeg
    6BF6BB35-B71F-4763-B30A-5EDA9AEFA309.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
John, looks like you got your printer printing diameters accurately. Did you end up changing anything ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Odd - external diameters are fine - the internal ones are still out. I'm not sure why your clone is better. ???