• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Calgary Area Meetups, Fall 2017 | Coffee Shop | Modern Tool

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Parting off and finished.... but what about finishing? Nothing? Just some veg oil? Powder coat? Paint? Needs to be food safe. I like the steel look but I imagine it will rust.

Hey @Johnwa thats not 12L14 is it? Do you know?

Attachments

• 33AF5DFA-875E-4507-90D0-331B42F8F9C7.jpeg
    33AF5DFA-875E-4507-90D0-331B42F8F9C7.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 9A3A9432-99B7-4D6A-9816-1914CDFD71CE.jpeg
    9A3A9432-99B7-4D6A-9816-1914CDFD71CE.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm not quite sure how to make the alloy distinction after the fact. I didn't look too close at the swarf myself & it was probably turning different than in my home lathe, but if I had to guess maybe 1018? 12L14 will show rust speckles too, probably quite rapidly in a wet kitchen environment. The lead for machinability, wont help with oxidization. Clear coating bare metal is one of those 100-opinions type thing. Usually 2K paint or powder coating is what the pros do. The ambient cure spray bombs usually don't last, particularly if it sees any kind of service. I've also heard of some hand applied waxes that are food friendly & seem to do a decent job. Its used extensively on hardwoods, cutting boards etc. I guess an automotive wax on metal might be an analogy, but probably that particular stuff is has volatiles so not food friendly. Lee Valley Tools has some waxes like this, maybe worth a shot or test. Next session someone needs to bring some slugs of stainless! ")

Johnwa

Ultra Member
It was salvaged off a combine where it rotated in some cast iron blocks. It was a loose fit and was not machined but had some big arms welded to it, I assume it is a common grade like 1018. Blackfoot metals has a gun (spectroscope?) to identify alloys. If you’re really concerned you could try them.

You could use gun blue on it, although you would still have to keep it oiled to prevent rust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
How did the parting off go John? I ask because it is sticking out of your chuck a fair way I imagine it was a slow go. Parting is a high stress operation and everything needs to be perfect for it to go well.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
How did the parting off go John? I ask because it is sticking out of your chuck a fair way I imagine it was a slow go. Parting is a high stress operation and everything needs to be perfect for it to go well.

Yeah it was slow but I used the power feed on low and kept a close eye on it. Lots of oil.